MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   carrier manual (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9078)

Ryan 17-07-07 03:41

carrier manual

Been watching the price on this go through the roof!
It's the rare 2pdr/3in mortar version workshop manual. Love to have it but just so dear. :eek:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....5472&rd=1&rd=1

Tony Smith 17-07-07 06:24

Re: carrier manual

Quote:

Originally posted by rynoki
It's the rare 2pdr/3in mortar version workshop manual.
No, it's the workshop manual that covers ALL the Aust carriers, MG, 2pdr, and Mortar.

Each Variant of Australian carrier had 3 manuals:
1. A driver's operations manual (3 versions specific to each variant)
2. a Workshop manual ( the book listed above, common to all 3)
3. a Parts Book (3 vers, specific to each).

Ryan 17-07-07 08:32

there you have it

My mistake, thanks Tony. So by what your saying, it would not be rare then. Do I have that right? It looks to be in EC. Any thoughts on the current price?

Tony Smith 18-07-07 03:52

Well, it's still reasonably rare, but I was just saying it's not only limited to the 2pdr and Mortar carriers. The Workshop Manual is fairly difficult to come across, particularly in the near new condition this one appears to be, but is it worth AU$550? That's up to the bidders to decide!

Ryan 21-07-07 06:06

wow

Sold for $760 Aus. :eek:

Tony Smith 07-08-07 12:23

Here we go again. Another Aust Carrier Workshop Manual on E-bay, but a slightly different edition to the first. Item No 200139357748

Ryan 14-08-07 13:30

Well, not a record breaker but still a chart topper! This second manual sold for $566. A say again....wow.

grant fincher 16-08-07 09:20

Carrier manual

The same bloke bought both manuals. $566 and $760. Both the same. Makes you wonder!
Grant Fincher

Tony Smith 16-08-07 10:43

And you know him, Grant!!

Lynn Eades 27-08-07 12:47

I bought one too!

1 Attachment(s)
Quite an interesting read

Lynn Eades 27-08-07 12:56

Also

1 Attachment(s)
There is this interesting page in the front, about NZ built LP no2a,s.
A bit about modified sprockets to use canadian cast steel track links, with which all carriers were fitted. Spares similar.

David Ellery 27-08-07 21:38

Modified sprockets

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Lynn, I wonder how much trouble the track /sprocket connection will give as my track is a mixture of Nth American and NZ made. Sprockets are for the Kiwi track , could you shed some light on this please. thanks David..

Lynn Eades 27-08-07 22:00

David

At this point in time and with the current amount of wear, I,d guess......Nothing!
I would think that the only time your going to have trouble is when you fit new sprockets to your existing track, or new track to your old sprockets.
Yours has been going around o.k. hasn't it?
Cheers,
Lynn.

Rob Beale 28-08-07 07:49

I agree,

The different wear rates will compensate. The track just meshes with more (or fewer) teeth depending on the amount of wear.

Jeff Plowmans original Kiwi Armour book mentions how much had to be machined off each tooth to match the american track links. From memory it was not much at all.

To me the best indication of wear is the angle the track sits at on the sprocket when you look from the rear. Having sufficient metal around the pin holes is the critical factor!

Rob
ps see you guys at Ohinewai!

Lynn Eades 28-08-07 07:57

Robin

My book (from Jeff) was packed away in a container 3 years ago, but as I recall, there was a special run of sprockets made in the states, and the difference was only about a thou or two.
Lynn.

Lynn Eades 28-08-07 12:42

More from the book

1 Attachment(s)
Tony Smith was on a thread (ages back)about whichway the track should be fitted. Read on.

Pedr 28-08-07 14:13

Track direction.

1 Attachment(s)
oh Geezuus!!

Don't start that again!!

If Bob Moseley see's this...there'll be blood drawn.

There are two ( 2 ) different Australian Workshop manuals.

The early one, entitled "Workshop Repair and Maintenance, Carriers M.G. No.2 and 2A Mechanisation Pamphlet No. 7A ", contradicts what the later manual "Carriers, M.G., 2pdr. and 3" Mortar ( Aust. ), Workshop Manual" states.

As a result there is a great deal of disagreement about proper track fitment.

I have always felt that the sprocket should entirely mesh with the track link as the carrier travels forward. My father is a Mechanical Engineer with 40 years experience, he agree's with me. The track should be fitted so that the short side of the track is forward when incontact with the ground.

Pedr

Bob Moseley (RIP) 30-08-07 06:17

Track Orientation

If Bob Moseley see's this...there'll be blood drawn.

Pedr - I listen and respect all people's opinions. When restoring I also try to get things correct by sticking to the manual/s relevant to the project and its year. You obviously are referring to my part restoration of a 1941 LP2A Carrier where the relevent manual had the track orientation in a way that contradicted the 1943 Carrier manual. I stuck to what was applicable to the 1941 Carrier. The fact that you and the other cohorts chose to go against the 1941 manual was your inappropriate choice and no matter what opinions are forwarded and by whom, the only guide must be what is in the manual/s.

Bob

Rohan 17-09-07 10:49

Just saw this on ebay :

Workshop manual for Machine Gun Carrier L.P., Nos. 2 & 2A

Item number: 200153471936

Ledsel 24-09-07 04:42

track direction

This is only my own view as years of design and normal logical experience. Besides I usually do things the way that makes more cents. Now think about the track joints. Now if you look at the tracks on a cat the pads are interlocking in a similar way. the pad to the front, or trailing pad on the ground is protected from dirt entering the joint by the pad before it. So when the track slips the dirt,stones etc. is prevented from going in the joint. The same happens with the carrier track. The tail part is inset in the lead link making a similar type of joint that will jam up with sand and mud causing the track joint to stiffen. In turn causing unnecessary wear . If the track is installed with the tail to the rear on the ground then the dirt and sand will simply slide away like shingles on a roof. Now this is MY opinion. And that's why Canadian tracks are tails to the rear. Unless you back up a lot.

Ryan 24-09-07 10:12

manual price

Quote:

Originally posted by Rohan
Just saw this on ebay :

Workshop manual for Machine Gun Carrier L.P., Nos. 2 & 2A

Item number: 200153471936

sold for $395.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Ryan 25-09-07 01:34

Tank attack Mk.2 manual

By the same seller as above, it was water damaged, sold for $234.

Not to me, too dear.