MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wanted: Batten terminal 2 point (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28270)

Jordan Baker 08-12-17 15:18

Batten terminal 2 point

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

I'm looking for 4 of the Batten, Terminal 2 point connectors for my wire-3 truck. At least I believe that is what the correct name is.

If anyone has some spare ones in good shape I'd like to hear from you please.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 08-12-17 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 245465)
Hi all

I'm looking for 4 of the Batten, Terminal 2 point connectors for my wire-3 truck. At least I believe that is what the correct name is.

If anyone has some spare ones in good shape I'd like to hear from you please.

Jordan, you'll never find enough (and beside, you're in competition with me!!) Lets make some up. I think I have a pattern or two here to go from.

Frank v R 09-12-17 02:57

post a better photo if you can,

Bruce Parker (RIP) 09-12-17 03:49

What Frank, you have a case of NOS ones?

Robert Bergeron 09-12-17 13:56

repro batten terminal

Gents , if terminals were to be reproduced i would be in for 8 ! The Wire -5 truck i am restoring had two generators and 6 batteries ( 3 x 2 = six 6 volt batteries in series of two for 12V per pair . Thanks for keeping is posted if anyting develops. Cheers . Bob

Bob Carriere 09-12-17 17:35

.....wait.....

....until you find out what the availability and price of red bakelite/phenolic board.......

chris vickery 09-12-17 19:47

Gentlemen, in the business that I work for we have many items custom made, machined plated etc.
If I had a clear picture and perhaps some basic dimensions I could inquire in our breaker shop as to the feasibility of such a project.
At the very least I could try to get some contact info regarding our vendors that could undertake this type of work.
Chris

Bruce Parker (RIP) 11-12-17 00:24

I'm thinking resin impregnated 'something' to simulate bakelite. The hardware is brass nuts let in from the backside. The lettering can be done and dimensions worked out. I have no choice, I need to come up with a bunch, unless Frank V-R does have a box full.

Calling Chris Suslowicz...do you have details for a (or maybe an original?) two terminal batten?

Does anybody know the Dutch fellow that owns the HUW in Jordan's pic?

Chris Suslowicz 11-12-17 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 245529)
I'm thinking resin impregnated 'something' to simulate bakelite. The hardware is brass nuts let in from the backside. The lettering can be done and dimensions worked out. I have no choice, I need to come up with a bunch, unless Frank V-R does have a box full.

Calling Chris Suslowicz...do you have details for a (or maybe an original?) two terminal batten?

Does anybody know the Dutch fellow that owns the HUW in Jordan's pic?

I've got a couple of the four terminal battens somewhere, and they are probably similar construction. I think the material used is 'Tufnol' a synthetic resin bonded fibre, but they may well have used other materials. It's fully machinable and the lettering is probably pantograph engraved.

I've not seen a two terminal batten, I'm afraid.

If the originals are brown I'd recommend Tufnol, if black then maybe Delrin.

Chris.

Tim Bell 12-12-17 15:52

Batten 4 point - possibly to use for parts...

http://www.sentimentaljourney.co.uk/...o26ua014h763nf

25 GBP plus postage.

Perry Kitson 12-12-17 16:42

Phenolic board is probably the best solution. Not cheap, but reasonable, and readily available. You have to tightly control the dust from machining though, the formaldehyde that is used to make it is bad for the repiratory and nervous systems.

Jordan Baker 12-12-17 17:35

Ive got one of the 4 terminal ones at home. Ill post up some detailed shots of it. I bought mine from the UK for a very decent price. I was thinking of buying some more just for the hardware but the price they are wanting for them is in my mind steep.

Id still like to find some decent pictures of what the 2 terminal strips looked like. I believe they would be easy to make up with just the possible engraving being an issue. At least for my skill set.

Frank v R 13-12-17 00:16

radio

sorry Bruce , no joy , just looked like a item in a pile of stuff that just came in,

Bruce Parker (RIP) 13-12-17 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 245565)
Ive got one of the 4 terminal ones at home. Ill post up some detailed shots of it. I bought mine from the UK for a very decent price. I was thinking of buying some more just for the hardware but the price they are wanting for them is in my mind steep.

Id still like to find some decent pictures of what the 2 terminal strips looked like. I believe they would be easy to make up with just the possible engraving being an issue. At least for my skill set.

You do the resin impregnating, I'll do the engraving.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 13-12-17 01:21

I dug out my strips. I have a single post (unmarked) and a BATTENS TERMINAL 2-POINT No.1 ZA10120. The latter is British and has those odd tall wing nuts. It is dark brown bakelite and is quite wide and thick. Looking at my HUW reference material, I see the two post ones are quite thin and probably no more than 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Even better, the wing nuts are the regular North American stamped type so are still readily available (probably NC thread instead of BSF but I can live with that). The remaining question is whether these were in fact lettered and, if so, how and with what nomenclature. I can duplicate that using the same style as on the 4 post unless better information becomes available.

Jordan Baker 13-12-17 05:17

Bruce can you post pictures of what you have. I'll post photos in the morning of the 4 terminal one.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 15-12-17 01:10

3 Attachment(s)
BATTENS TERMINAL 4-POINT No.1 and a single post batten

chris vickery 15-12-17 01:30

Same material we find in old school electrical transformers during rebuild work. When I worked at ABB Guelph (Former GE) we had lots of this stuff kicking around.
This material would be best shaped using water jet cutting to eliminate dust and to obtain smooth edges.
Bruce, is the lettering inset, eg engraved or silk screened?