MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Reference: 1944 Chev HUW restoration (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28200)

Bruce Parker 19-11-17 22:40

1944 Chev HUW restoration

4 Attachment(s)
After a long sit, I'm finally getting on with my HUW project. I spent the last few months fabricating the interior bins, wireless table, seat bases, etc. and put them in for a test fit. Not much to look at now but it feels good to see it all together for the first time. What is becoming clear is just how cramped it is in the back of one of these.

Attachment 95772 Attachment 95773 Attachment 95774 Attachment 95775

Peter Duggan 26-11-17 03:18

Great

Bruce,

Great looking restoration. Looking forward to your updates.

Ppeter

Bruce Parker 06-12-17 03:52

3 Attachment(s)
This is what I started with many years ago.

Attachment 96148 Attachment 96149 Attachment 96150

James P 06-12-17 13:53

Very nice to see projects come back to life and look forward to updates (and heaps of pics).

Barry Churcher 06-12-17 17:50

Bruce is this the one we helped you lift the body off in Napanee many moons ago?
Barry

Bruce Parker 07-12-17 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Churcher (Post 245426)
Bruce is this the one we helped you lift the body off in Napanee many moons ago?
Barry

That's the one. It would be much father along if the Fox hadn't gotten in the way. Pre-Fox I had completed the chassis and assembled most of the missing parts but then it went into hibernation.

Bruce Parker 21-10-20 02:29

HUW Progress at last!!!

3 Attachment(s)
I got the HUW back from the sandblaster today....couldn't be happier. Here's as recovered, stripped, and now sandblasted.

Attachment 116883 Attachment 116884 Attachment 116885

Robert Bergeron 21-10-20 05:23

Nice looking truck there Bruce !

Hanno Spoelstra 21-10-20 08:42

Restoration log

Good to see another C8A being restored :thup:

Do you remember your HUW was one of the first CMPs Geoff wrote a restoration log about?

See http://www.mapleleafup.net/vehicles/.../restore3.html

Terry Witiuk 22-10-20 03:36

HUW Progress at last!!!

Bruce. Glad to hear that things are moving along. Still hoping to come out and have a personal look before winter is here.

Bruce Parker 22-10-20 04:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 273299)
Good to see another C8A being restored :thup:

Do you remember your HUW was one of the first CMPs Geoff wrote a restoration log about?

See http://www.mapleleafup.net/vehicles/.../restore3.html

This poor truck got pushed to the back of the garage more than once (for the Fox and two Victorian era house renovations). The upside is that over those years I've been able to find almost all of the missing bits and have managed to get good information to be able to rebuild the correct interior. It's been kept warm and dry waiting for this day.

Bob Phillips 27-10-20 03:38

1 Attachment(s)
It is great to see this truck finally under restoration. Here are a couple of rather poor pictures of the truck when it was recovered from a Jasper area wrecking yard in the late 1970s or early 80s. Note the I beam on the roof.

Attachment 117084

Bruce Parker 28-10-20 00:05

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for those pics Bob. I find it odd that someone painted it Tremclad forest green over the faded khaki. What, to pretty it up for a quick sale? No matter, the green and spiffy red inner fender paint is all gone now.

Google shows this wrecking yard in Jasper, I assume this is where you got it from?

Bob Phillips 28-10-20 02:11

I think the name of the yard was McDougals (your photo is correct!), and they had a couple of CMPs but none as interesting as the 8cwt wireless. There was also a major surplus store on the opposite side of the town called Prices. While the glory days in surplus were over by the time I got there I remember buying 19 sets and power supplies for $10-25. They had skids of them. There was also a row of 3 ton van bodies and cargo boxes out in the side yard, and a quanset hut full of ex govt desks and furniture..
I am pleased to see the progress you have made with the truck, good luck with the restoration!

Bruce Parker 28-10-20 04:55

a
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Phillips (Post 273444)
I think the name of the yard was McDougals (your photo is correct!), and they had a couple of CMPs but none as interesting as the 8cwt wireless. There was also a major surplus store on the opposite side of the town called Prices. While the glory days in surplus were over by the time I got there I remember buying 19 sets and power supplies for $10-25. They had skids of them. There was also a row of 3 ton van bodies and cargo boxes out in the side yard, and a quanset hut full of ex govt desks and furniture..
I am pleased to see the progress you have made with the truck, good luck with the restoration!

The poor thing was rode hard. The diffs had been replaced with the earlier, higher ratio ones (completely worn out) and between the I beam and the inevitable trailer hitch yanking out the lightweight rear frame crossmember there were some 'structural repairs' required. I had a donor chassis so it now has the right diffs and the rest of the chassis has been restored to what was originally intended.

8threcce 11-11-20 22:55

Bob,

Do you mind if I use these pictures on my C8a FB page??

Regards

Pieter