MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Heads Up: Dennis Walker Sale (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30686)

Jack Innes 02-12-19 05:37

Dennis Walker Sale

There is an auction at Dennis Walker's this coming Saturday. Mostly flywheel engines & tractors but there is some military material including three 8 CWT parts piles & a military Jeep engined generator in restored condition.

http://www.fulsomauctions.com/auction-listings2.html

Robin Craig 02-12-19 11:18

Jack are you going? I have some interest in some items, maybe we should talk.

Jack Innes 02-12-19 13:50

Robin,

Unfortunately I will not be at the sale. Too far & too cold! If I knew getting old was such a pain in the butt, I would have thought twice before I signed up for it!!!

Jack

Hanno Spoelstra 02-12-19 20:34

2 Attachment(s)
Nice trailer

Attachment 110589 Attachment 110590

Paul Singleton 02-12-19 21:46

C-8

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 110591 Attachment 110592

Attachment 110593

Robin Craig 03-12-19 02:54

Is anyone going?

Robin Craig 08-12-19 15:46

It will be interesting to hear what people bought and what kind of money things fetched and where the items will find new homes.

I will let those new owners tell their tale

Michael R. 09-12-19 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Craig (Post 265312)
It will be interesting to hear what people bought and what kind of money things fetched and where the items will find new homes.
I will let those new owners tell their tale

I am thinking about empathy... putting ourselves in Dennis Walkers’ shoes and wondering how we would feel if we were placed in the position where a substantial portion of our treasures were auction off under similar circumstances?

The anguish one may experience when making forced choices due to external factors beyond our control. I am thinking Dennis did not wish to have the sale at this undesirable time of the year, if at all. On occasion we may post narratives in an online setting that may unintentionally appear to have us “kicking a man when he is down.”

While I am certain that is not Robins intent whatsoever, the auction event was a moment of introspection for me.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 09-12-19 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael R. (Post 265326)
I am thinking about empathy... putting ourselves in Dennis Walkers’ shoes and wondering how we would feel if we were placed in the position where a substantial portion of our treasures were auction off under similar circumstances?

The anguish one may experience when making forced choices due to external factors beyond our control. I am thinking Dennis did not wish to have the sale at this undesirable time of the year, if at all. On occasion we may post narratives in an online setting that may unintentionally appear to have us “kicking a man when he is down.”

While I am certain that is not Robins intent whatsoever, the auction event was a moment of introspection for me.

Great post. I know and really Like Denis. Maybe this should be read in conjunction with the 'demob' thread. There's not one of us who has acquired 'projects' thinking we would get to them one day only to discover we are mortal and time is cruel.

Bob Carriere 09-12-19 03:53

History repeats itself....... again and again.......

....... sadly we are all fooling ourselves that it will not happens to any of us myself included.......... yet we carry on to the last man standing!!!!!

When will we ever learn....... somebody else on MLU said it very accurately....... ..........we are only caretakers of things for someone else in the future.........

It's time we start paying forward while we still can..............

Wishing all the best to Dennis.

Bob C.

rob love 09-12-19 04:04

Ditto to the above last couple posts.

Personally, my long term plan is that they will develop some kind of immortality pill before my time comes. Failing that, then.....

Bruce Parker (RIP) 09-12-19 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 265330)
Ditto to the above last couple posts.

Personally, my long term plan is that they will develop some kind of immortality pill before my time comes. Failing that, then.....

That immorality pill better come with a fix for worn out backs, knees, arthritis, gout and all that other crap that gets us. Otherwise you'll be living forever and still not being able to do the things you want to do. My wife says if I'm not working on a project I get ugly. Wise woman, but can I keep up the pace?

Tony Smith 09-12-19 10:11

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 265330)

The immorality pill.
Indeed, if you can't be here for a long time, have a good time. :devil:

Robin Craig 09-12-19 10:43

So, to clarify, I don't know Dennis Walker and did not know anything about the reason for the sale. I don't wish him any hurt in any way.

As I could not attend I was curious as to what items were sold of a military nature. We can leave the money out of it for sure.

As far as mortality goes, I know I am mortal. Plans for when I am gone are well drawn up and detailed, the scrap man gets nothing.

Les Fisher 09-12-19 23:44

Robin I was there and there was a large crowd of people with different interests. I have no idea if generally people paid high or low prices. As it was an auction things generally are a bargain to some and too much to others. I had an auction a few years ago and in my opinion nothing went for enough, but I did get rid of stuff that would only sell in an auction.
I think our friend was up against a wall and would not sell anything if given the choice.
I am happy to have been there bidding items up and buying some. I will come again if Dennis has another auction or is selling items one at a time.

rob love 10-12-19 00:53

One thing I will say about this auction, is that it shared a feature that was also in George McKenzie's auction a few months back in Alberta: One of the best selling items were old fuel pumps, and there were a half dozen at this auction that commanded strong bidding.

Harry Moon 10-12-19 19:24

generator

Did any of our MLU community win the generator?

Les Fisher 18-12-19 05:24

Harry did get the info you requested on the generator ?

Barry Churcher 18-12-19 15:53

Harry I didn't get back to this thread until today. I got the generator with the help of fellow OMVA members. I had to work and couldn't attend the sale.
Barry

Harry Moon 18-12-19 16:09

yes, thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Fisher (Post 265535)
Harry did get the info you requested on the generator ?

Glad it's gone to a good home.