MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Really useful pictures of 3" mortar mounting brackets (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14789)

kevin powles 29-05-10 23:46

Really useful pictures of 3" mortar mounting brackets

2 Attachment(s)
I thought i would start a thread on the rear mounting brackets to hold the 3" mortar tube, base plate on the rear and the stand.

I only have four original componets : two upright brackets for holding the wooden guide for the base plate and a later type metal quick release clip for releasing the tube, also top right hand side bracket for the starting handle.

If any one can add any pics or details that would be great, I have all the details from Nigel Watsons book.

I have seen several restored mortar carriers on the internet and am interested to contact people who have original mounting componets or detailed drawings. I have some more detailed hi-resolution pics which I will try and post via a hosting site.

I also have carrier parts to trade for mounting brackets.

Kevin.

Lynn Eades 30-05-10 00:43

Kevin

2 Attachment(s)
I have posted this pic before. They are British mortar carrier brackets that have been transferred to a nz army LP2.
The "nipple" or "tit" (can I say that) that the strap goes onto over the mortar tube is different from Brit. to Canadian.

kevin powles 30-05-10 00:56

thanks lynn, thats the sort of picture i can use to fabricate the tube holding brackets, many thanks, i want to replicate the quick release type fixing, because i have one already, and i guess the actual bracket you have pictured is the same contour. what is the :thup2:s difference on the nipple?. strange they put it on a australian carrier.

Lynn Eades 30-05-10 09:00

Kevin

1 Attachment(s)
Its not an Australian Carrier, It's an Australian pattern carrier, built in New Zealand. Newzealand built about 630 carriers, and then the War council ordered another 2000. Production was started, and when things were well underway, with about 500 carriers built, the war council shifted its order to Ford of Canada. At the wars end ther was a lot of new carriers. The Army drew on them. This carrier was one of those carriers that was converted to a Mortar carrier, post war.
The nipple will be the same as the ones on your toolboard, for your crow bar strap, or see the one on a universal, where the strap clips over the bren gun on the bracket with the short rubber rest.... Ok, Ok, I'll do a photo.
The one at the back is British, the one at the front of the photo is Canadian.

kevin powles 30-05-10 10:37

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more pictures, but still looking for more close up detailed ones.

Lynn Eades 30-05-10 11:57

Mortar Carrier

The first picture is of Dave Hardways carrier. he is on this forum, and may be able to send you photos at your request.Try a P.M. Or maybe the bedford boys can do the job?

kevin powles 31-05-10 09:29

2 Attachment(s)
More Pictures, can anyone add anymore please. need detailed close up ones.

Kevin

The Bedford Boys 31-05-10 12:40

I shall have a chat with Mr Hardway. Next time we're at the workshop we'll snap some pics for you.

greg anderson (RIP) 31-05-10 18:15

Mortar brackets

5 Attachment(s)
Photos attached I hope

greg anderson (RIP) 31-05-10 18:21

Mortar brackets

5 Attachment(s)
more photos -I made the one bracket and cleaning rod from scratch -set up is based on photos I found

kevin powles 31-05-10 20:09

Brackets and fitting which i have

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a couple of CTL13798 BRACKETS (for holding the wooden block arrangement as featured on earlier carriers) and a barrel hold down clip TL ???32, Cant make out the full number, but this is the same barrel clip Greg has on his carrier.

Greg, many thanks for taking the time to take the pictures, I am going to make the barrel supports in the next few weeks, are yours both original?, I need to locate a second barrel clip for somewere or make one from scratch.:wacko:

kevin.

kevin powles 31-05-10 20:43

Hi Definition British Mortar Carrier Photo

Click on this link to see a Hi-definition early British built mortar carrier, Zoom in for details up close. It has the same J&C 1942 make mortar baseplate that I have, so will try and replicate this storage arrangement but using later barrel support clamps as on Gregs Carrier.

Kevin.

http://www.all-media-downloads.com/carrier.zip

Lynn Eades 31-05-10 22:27

Kevin

The catch looks like a standard carrier catch except that the wire loop is curved, instead of flat.

greg anderson (RIP) 01-06-10 03:16

Mortar brackets

As I had mentioned one of the supports was given to me and using this as a pattern I made the other from scratch including the clip

Lynn Eades 01-06-10 08:02

Kevin

Look at what Colin Jones has made for sale, in his threads

Philliphastings 03-06-10 04:51

spare clips

I have some spare clips if anyone is in dire need, some brass but mostly steel. They are a bit weathered though...

Cheers

Phill

kevin powles 30-12-11 15:03

mortar tube brackets

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, I Have an original left hand bracket here dated 1942, but still puzzling over how the srap would work, someone must know?. There is no sign of the clip featured next to the bracket being fixed to the bracket as in Gregs carrier. :confused

help! kev

Ben 30-12-11 16:57

Hi Kevin

I can't help directly with the mount set up, sorry, but I am planning on having some of the clips cast up in the near future. Lynn and I both need a run on them let me know if you need any!!

Cheers

Ben

kevin powles 30-12-11 17:52

Ben, Thanks for that, I will take three of those please, any news on the petrol tank anchors and the second run of pintles..........I have that 'Lynx' oil cooler for trade if you still need one.

thanks kevin.

Ben 30-12-11 19:12

Hi Kevin

Cast parts will be ready in the new year, I'll send you an email.

Cheers

Ben

kevin powles 31-12-11 05:48

This style of tube fixing.

2 Attachment(s)
I think the bracket i have used this style of strap fixing, the right one is done up the left is undone. I dont have the style used on gregs.

Anyone know who owns this carrier?.

thanks kevin.

kevin powles 21-01-12 23:19

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Found this mortar carrier pic, kevin wheatcroft collection, different type of straps featured here again.

If somone has additional pics of carrier mortar brackets, particulary for the mounting arrangement for the stand or any additional info please post.

thanks kevin.

kevin powles 04-03-12 12:44

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, Got the right hand bracket made, from the original left plus details from fuc-03 parts book, no retaining straps as yet because I have just sparse details of the particular type used on these 1942 era brackets.

kev.

kevin powles 18-01-13 01:03

Whetcroft Carrier

5 Attachment(s)
Hi, I think this carrier belongs to the Wheatcroft collection, not open to the general public, anyone got any contacts to view this carrier, just interested in the rear stowage mounts, they look not far off the originals.

Also attached pics of another original British stowage bracket for the centre wood for the barrell hole, thanks neil.

kevin.

Lynn Eades 18-01-13 04:48

Kevin

The catch over the top of the barrell looks like it connects to a spring. See the photo you posted. (post #21)

kevin powles 18-01-13 21:55

Detailed mortar pics

4 Attachment(s)
A couple of links to detailed British Mortar Carrier, go full size (option at bottom of page).

Still looking for more.

http://postimage.org/image/aylx717d5/
http://postimage.org/image/jjjuby6x5/

Lew Skelton 28-01-13 09:20

Daves carrier

5 Attachment(s)
Hopefully these come out allright and are usefull.

Lew

Euan McDonald 28-01-13 11:44

replica!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 131247)
Its not an Australian Carrier, It's an Australian pattern carrier, built in New Zealand. Newzealand built about 630 carriers, and then the War council ordered another 2000. Production was started, and when things were well underway, with about 500 carriers built, the war council shifted its order to Ford of Canada. At the wars end ther was a lot of new carriers. The Army drew on them. This carrier was one of those carriers that was converted to a Mortar carrier, post war.
The nipple will be the same as the ones on your toolboard, for your crow bar strap, or see the one on a universal, where the strap clips over the bren gun on the bracket with the short rubber rest.... Ok, Ok, I'll do a photo.
The one at the back is British, the one at the front of the photo is Canadian.

Does that make NZ carriers replicas or rip off's of Aussie cariers?

David Hardway 16-02-13 06:18

5 Attachment(s)
Mortar Brackets on T80030

Dave

David Hardway 16-02-13 06:20

3 Attachment(s)
A couple more of T80030

Dave