MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   M38A1 CDN 2 brake cylinder (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24946)

CWO (ret) Gilles Aubé 14-12-15 22:30

M38A1 CDN 2 brake cylinder

Does someone has the civilian part number for the :
R & L front brake cylinder ?
R & L rear brake cylinder?
This is for a M38A1 CDN 2.
Thank
Gilles

rob love 14-12-15 23:11

The Cdn 2 used the same cylinders left and right. They also used the same common wheel cylinders as all the military jeeps before them as well as the M151A2.

Fronts are 1" and trhe rear are 3/4 inch. Common part numbers are Wagner WC16534 and WC16535.

NAPA will be 16534 and 16535 for $25 to $30 trade price, or $40 to $46 if you are paying full retail.

They are also available from ebay and others out of the US for a bit cheaper, but with the exchange rate, shipping etc, you are liikely just as well to go more locally.

The above is provided you are talking about the stock CDN2 brakes, which are the manually adjusting type. If, over the years, someone installed the Cdn3 braking system with the self adjusters, then that would require a different set of wheel cylinders.

If you need wheel cylinders, then I would suggest you also need a master cylinder. They are NAPA 2796 which will run you $86, or if the Jeep is still a military museum item, and you are able to sweet talk your maintenance guys into it, a master cylinder 2530-01-050-8929 from an LSVW trailer will do just fine.

CWO (ret) Gilles Aubé 14-12-15 23:56

M38a1 cdn2

I try these numbers 16534 & 35 and they do not mach.
Does someone has the CDN3 civilian part number for the :
Front R & L brake cylinder?
Rear R & L brake cylander?
Gilles

chris vickery 15-12-15 01:10

Gilles
Let me check, I think I have a set out in the garage as I bought extras for my CDN3 so I should have part numbers for you if I can find my spares.

rob love 15-12-15 04:52

Gilles: If those don't match then you may possibly have Cdn3 axles and brakes. As well, someone may have installed an upgrade on your brake system.

Can you provide a photo of your brakes?

A sure sign that you have a Cdn 3 axle is that there is no little hub cap on the back axle.....the Cdn3 uses a one piece axle shaft. Also, if you measure the brake drums, the older brakes are 9", and the Cdn3 is 10" x 2" wide internally, and have the wheel type adjusters on the bottom. Another give-away is that the steel line doesn't go straight into the cylinder, but at an angle.

If your brakes are the Cdn3 style, then the cylinders are the same as used on CJ5s of the same year with 10x2 brakes. Front cylinders will be WC37231 and WC37230. Rear cylinders were a WC37089 and 37090 if I remember right. I'm heading out to the shop tonight and I'll confirm. Seems to me on the military models, of those 4 numbers one of them is used twice and one is not used.

Since you are from the rustbelt area of Canada, you are likely gong to want to order the little S lines for the front wheel cylinders. They usually twist themselves apart and are available new.