MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   CMPs at the NMMV (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32656)

Mike Cecil 31-07-21 02:07

CMPs at the NMMV

4 Attachment(s)
I visited the new National Museum of Military Vehicles a few days ago. It is a few miles east of Dubois, Wyoming, and is another collection by a multi-millionaire.

Among the many, many vehicles are a few CMPs. Two Cab 11 (one a 'captured' truck in Caunter cammo), both parked under the outside pavilion, and on display indoors, a Cab 12 alongside an Otter. I'll post the image of the one inside next, and an image of the caption which is adjacent to it.

Anyone recognise where these came from?

Enjoy!

Mike

Mike Cecil 31-07-21 02:08

2 Attachment(s)
The indoor display.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 31-07-21 02:24

1 Attachment(s)
The Otter is without question the one from the Elliot Brothers yard that went to a Salt Lake City collector a dozen years ago. It still retains the funky paint the Elliot's applied decades ago.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 31-07-21 02:43

Oh, and I think the C8 paint scheme is a little sketchy. I will change my mind if someone shows me the evidence otherwise.

edstorey 31-07-21 02:50

Wonky Paint on NMMV CMPs

Too bad the multi-millionaire who set up the NMMV had not spent a few dollars to perhaps purchase some books and conduct a little research on the proper camouflage and markings of his vehicles.

Tony Smith 31-07-21 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstorey (Post 280897)
Too bad the multi-millionaire who set up the NMMV had not spent a few dollars to perhaps purchase some books and conduct a little research on the proper camouflage and markings of his vehicles.

... Or spelling!

"Before World War II, the Canadian Department of the Defense....."

I don't think the 15" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains were original fitment to F8, either. Maybe the Germans did that? Another "Museum Standard" restoration.

Mike Cecil 31-07-21 03:06

Poor captioning

Lots of problems with the captions in this museum - this one is just the tip of the iceberg. Note the roof hatch is for keeping the driver cool!

Mike

edstorey 31-07-21 03:29

Nmmv

Sad really, as there is loads of potential with all of the vehicles for some first-rate accurate displays.

Alex van de Wetering 07-08-21 23:05

3 Attachment(s)
Mike, thanks for posting these pictures!

I am pretty sure the F8 came from the UK. ex Clinton Long. He bought it from Dirk and Stefan Leegwater, who in turn brought it from Canada.....I think in the same lot as my C8.
I am not sure if this is ex. Elliots yard, but maybe Barry or Stefan can tell us more(?)

Attached are some pictures I took of the truck at Beltring in 2008. It was a very nice truck at the time, so it's sad to see it now with the oversize mud tyres (even though the proper wheels are in the back), the (not too accurate) Caunter camo and fake German markings.