MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What easy software are you using to do sketches... (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31905)

Bob Carriere 16-01-21 18:25

What easy software are you using to do sketches...

I am curious to find out what soft ware program MLU members are usuing to do nice clean mechanical drawings for eventual use by the metal fabricator who will cut and bend to size and let me do the assembly / welding.

After searching the web it seems that Fusion 360 ( a spin off of AUTODESK) is free for one year to hobbyist and it has a very complete and complex sketching section........

I wanted to school myself during the Covid months using U tube tutorials as a guide!!!!!!!

Took me 3 days to figure out how to open the sketch section only... the hell with 3 D.

It is way tooooooo complicated................ all I need is line drawings with angles, dimension, folding dotted lines, etc in 2 D.....would be so much neater than the hand drawn sketches I have sued in the past

My 2B1 boxed is currently being rebuilt and would love to capture all the dimensions and post them on MLU.... maybe create a sticky for all the drawings we can accumulate for future reference..... I now realize that 2B1 fabrication dimensions are not very precise...... comparing three boxes I find at least 1/8 more or less and as much as 1/4 inch variation between the boxes.

Is there a vaccine for computer stupidity????

Cheers

Owen Evans 16-01-21 20:04

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Bob,

I use AutoCAD, but only because that's what I have at work! :fry:

A friend has been using FreeCAD, (https://www.freecadweb.org/) which he says is easy to use. And like the name suggests, it's free! Attached a couple of snapshots of some hand pump valve parts off his Bedford MWC that he sketched up. Certainly looks impressive; I probably need to spend some time having a proper look at this software.

Owen.

Tony Smith 17-01-21 05:34

Hey, can I butt in here and ask another software question?

What software would I use to design a drawing with text within a donut-shaped circle, by specifying the ID and OD of the donut, and the text and height of the letters? I must be able to specify the height of the letters as a measurement (eg 5/16", 0.750", or 10mm, etc), not at say a font size of 24, or 36.

I need to produce a scaled image, then print it for photo-etching brass plaques.

Jonathan Moore 17-01-21 10:53

I use QCad, it takes a little bit of time to get used to but in reality it's very easy to use. As I produce the components myself I have never needed the 3D side of things.

Jon

Owen Evans 17-01-21 12:24

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 275838)
Hey, can I butt in here and ask another software question?

What software would I use to design a drawing with text within a donut-shaped circle, by specifying the ID and OD of the donut, and the text and height of the letters? I must be able to specify the height of the letters as a measurement (eg 5/16", 0.750", or 10mm, etc), not at say a font size of 24, or 36.

I need to produce a scaled image, then print it for photo-etching brass plaques.

Not sure. AutoCAD has a tool that lets you align text across a curve. The problem is you are limited to specific font styles, so it depends what you're trying to achieve/replicate. Although it's not on a curve, I wanted to do something similar for my C15 water bowser. Not happy with the available fonts, I ended up drawing each letter out individually. Time consuming, but I'm pleased with the end product. :)

I suppose with time (and patience!) something similar could be done following a curve?

Owen.

gjamo 18-01-21 05:54

Cad software

You can wrap text around a surface with KeyCreator.

Jonathan Moore 19-01-21 20:27

You can also do that in Qcad

Bob Carriere 20-01-21 06:46

So far.....

Two votes for Qcad, Freecad and KeyCreator added libre CAD and Sketchup.......

Will try them out.

My goal is to produce some clean line drawings in 2D of various CMP components like the cargo box (2B1) with dimensions, 2 gal POW holders, etc.

The drawings are really necessary to communicate effectively with the metal fabricator who will cut and bend the various pieces according to the drawings I supply...... then I can assemble/MIG them at the Barn. We can do the smaller parts with the 40 in. pan/box brake but the tailgate in 14 gauge and the headboard are too wide at 81+ inches.

Thanks for the input guys. More suggestions or personal experience with similar software will be appreciated.

Bob C

Matthew P 20-01-21 10:42

I've been using SketchUp for several years now. This year I spent the money on the Pro version so I can export files to my metal fabricator to feed into their CNC laser cutter. But if you just need human readable files then SketchUp is free.

As for the curved text you are looking at something like Inkscape (free) or Adobe Illustrator (subscription fee). That is in the graphic arts realm. I have a friend who has the pay for it software and will do work for me for $25 USD a drawing. She did the logo for our business and also our Christmas ornament design.

Matt

Phil Waterman 20-01-21 13:01

Talk to your fabricator first about measurements

Hi Bob

One thing I've learned the hard way is to confirm if measurements are inside or outside of the bend. Ask them how they indicate the difference on their drawings. I had one project bent up for me the whole thing was off either over or under by 1 or 2 thicknesses of the metal.

There are conventions for how to measure and draw for sheet metal drawings but I can't find my metalworking books right now, but the probably changed how they do it now anyway.

Let us know what you find out.

This thread has been interesting to me, years ago I paid a lot for a good CAD program which worked great until they kept changing operating systems on computers. Just because I expect a computer to last twenty years.

Cheers Phil

Bob Carriere 20-01-21 16:56

Trying to keep cost down.....

Hoping t find a drawing software for free of the occasional CMP we produce and be able to post my work with proper dimensions for future reference.

Fusion 360, a spin off the AUTODESK, is claimed to give the best on a one year free hobbyist license...........however it is complex.

I though that maybe learning AUTODESK would occupy my mind during the covid period....... did not realize it would add more aggravations and anxiety.

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Bob C

Don Phillips 22-01-21 04:10

You might find LibreCAD suited to your needs. It's also free without limits.
I've only looked at it as I'm an Autocad user.

If you are drawing flats for a laser cutter you will need to know what bend allowance your fabricator is using.