MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WW1 Karrier Lorry ID ? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31638)

Philliphastings 22-10-20 07:47

WW1 Karrier Lorry ID ?

5 Attachment(s)
Hello members,

I’d like some info to identify a wreck I found pushed off a cliff. Not a lot left but some small parts mght be recoverable with some considerable physical exertion.

I brought up one small casting and a headlight bracket, and even that took me and hour and a half of climbing !

All castings have ‘KARR’ and a part number on them.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

Phill

First attempt at posting pics. Think I’ve worked it out...

Philliphastings 22-10-20 08:09

Got the hang of it now

5 Attachment(s)
Even more pics

Mike Kelly 22-10-20 08:09

Hmvf

Maybe ask Tim Gosling , he is often on the HMVF forum in the UK, he is the go to expert on these era vehicles :)

Philliphastings 22-10-20 08:14

And finally for now...

5 Attachment(s)
I can recover most of the smaller parts over time, but the rear axle tube and the bent chassis - no chance unfortunately...

Cheers

Phill

Philliphastings 22-10-20 08:21

Wrecked

Unfortunately this terrific old truck has plunged hundreds of feet off a cliff and been burnt repeatedly.

There us no way the mangled chassis could possibly be recovered unfortunately except to cut it into man pack sized pieces !

I will attempt to recover as many portable parts as possible.

It is located near some other wrecks which have parts worth carrying back up the cliffs over time.

Cheers

Phill

Richard Farrant 22-10-20 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philliphastings (Post 273324)
Unfortunately this terrific old truck has plunged hundreds of feet off a cliff and been burnt repeatedly.

There us no way the mangled chassis could possibly be recovered unfortunately except to cut it into man pack sized pieces !

I will attempt to recover as many portable parts as possible.

It is located near some other wrecks which have parts worth carrying back up the cliffs over tine.

Cheers

Phill

Hi Phill,
The marking KARR is more likely to indicate the truck was made by Karrier. A British manufacturer.
Regards
Richard

Philliphastings 22-10-20 10:35

Confirmed as Karrier

Hello Mike and Richard,

From information and photographs over on HMVF I can confirm this vehicle is Karrier.

Steps now are being taken to recover as much as practical of the smaller loose components.

Cheers

Phill

Philliphastings 23-10-20 09:50

Definately Karrier

2 Attachment(s)
Previous looters of this wreck smashed out the radiator, but were kind enough to leave part of the name plate for me...

Philliphastings 23-10-20 09:57

More parts recovered

5 Attachment(s)
I made my way back down today and carried out some casting fragments, one of two fuel tank saddles, steering box cast brace, steering drag link with end adjusters and a brake linkage rod with ends...

Just as I was leaving I spotted one of the brass No 15 lubrication caps on the ground.

The brass tag was missing from the torque tube unfortunately.

Each side of the firewall there is a bracket for the marker lamps. They will be recovered next trip after I sweep the mountainside with a metal detector.

Cheers

Phill

Lionelgee 26-10-20 11:28

Karrier Motors 1908-1946

Hello Phil,

I found an eBook about Karrier Motors 1908-1946 it might be of some interest to you? Accessed 26th October from, http://www.lthlibrary.org.uk/library/PDF-059-2.pdf.

Kind regards
Lionel

Philliphastings 26-10-20 16:53

More discoveries recovered

5 Attachment(s)
Another good day of searchin, finding and recovering parts of the Karrier including part of the radiator top tank and maker’s name, aluminium fan blade, transmission casing and incredibly - the brass data plate for the torque tube !

Cheers

Phill