MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Glad I wasn't driving. (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13737)

lynx42 08-11-09 09:10

Glad I wasn't driving.

5 Attachment(s)
These series of photos were found in a cupboard I purchased a while ago.

On the reverse are these words.
"Standard Vanguard recovered after hitting a tree at 85MPH outside B.M.H Kamunting on 3rd. Aug 1956.
Taken at 2 Inf Wksps Taiping
August 7th 1956
Series of 9 Photos."

Further on another,
"Wrecked Standard Vanguard Staff Car
on 20thn Trailer
2 Inf WKSRs
August 7th 1956"

and on another
"Wrecker S/Vanguard S/Car on B.L.R Park. Note Steering wheel
through windscreen.
2 Ink WKSPs Taiping August 7th 1956"

and the last notation,
"underneath of Standard Vanguard Staff Car.
Note. Snapped Tailshaft and the differential hanging down.
2 Inf WKSPs Taiping August 7th 1956"

I am laying claim to the ownership (copywrite) to these photos, but you are welcome to reproduce them with acknowledgement to myself.
Regards Rick

lynx42 08-11-09 09:53

4 Attachment(s)
More Photos.

Keith Webb 08-11-09 10:43

Ouch!

Possibly the most amazing thing here are the words 'Vanguard' and 85MPH in the same sentence:

Quote:

Standard Vanguard recovered after hitting a tree at 85MPH
Possibly a tree at the bottom of a long steep hill. Nasty crash. Nice recovery trailer though.

aj.lec 08-11-09 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 121517)
Possibly the most amazing thing here are the words 'Vanguard' and 85MPH in the same sentence:

I have to agree with you there Keith
We had some standards on the farm and they were humming at 60 mph let alone 85mph
Are you sure they weren't practising parachute dropping staff cars :D

Richard Farrant 08-11-09 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 121517)
Nice recovery trailer though.

Hi Keith,

The trailer was the 7 1/2 ton recovery trailer designed to recover Carriers and Light Tanks (Vickers types), it was originally used behind Scammell Pioneer recovery and the 6x4 Breakdown Gantry trucks.

Rick,

Great photos, I am looking at the details in the background, Bedford OY trucks, Morris Commercial MRA1, Fordson WOT6, Diamond T prime mover.

Ron Pier 08-11-09 17:31

My sentiments entirely. I used to work as a mechanic on this sort of stuff in the 60's. You'd need a very wide road to cope with the wander of a Vanguard at 85:ergh:Ron

Richard Farrant 08-11-09 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 121524)
My sentiments entirely. I used to work as a mechanic on this sort of stuff in the 60's. You'd need a very wide road to cope with the wander of a Vanguard at 85:ergh:Ron

The road was not wide enough for that one, a tree got in the way :(

Rick W 08-11-09 21:50

Unusual find in a cupboard! Reminds me of all the photos I see of Champs having suffered some form of driver error. I had an old guy come in and see me as he saw my Champ outside my garage. He bought in a couple of photos of the Champ he used to drive. One of the pics the Champ was in one piece, the next pic after he had rolled it. I amazed he survived it, but he did without any serious injuries.

cmperry4 09-11-09 03:05

Speed claims

I think the car used the same basic engine that was used in the TEA-20 tractors built for Ferguson by Standard in the Coventry factory. So 85 mph would be a brisk speed for that lump.

Can't imagine the occupants of that car fared too well.

Ken Hughes 09-11-09 07:40

speed claims

Hi guys,i had one of those vanguards cut down into a pickup/ute,and it would do 80 mph
once you wound it up,with 3 people in the cab and a couple of british motorcycles on the back.(from kenneys believe it or not file)

Richard Farrant 09-11-09 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmperry4 (Post 121555)
I think the car used the same basic engine that was used in the TEA-20 tractors built for Ferguson by Standard in the Coventry factory. So 85 mph would be a brisk speed for that lump.

The engine was also fitted to the Triumph TR2 sports car.............the cars had slightly higher gearing than the grey Fergie :D

Dinty 10-11-09 09:51

G'day All, After filing a 'Lost n Damaged' on that stock item, I would venture to say some deceased as well, good pix though Rick thanks for posting cheers Dennis :sheep:
ps the pix remind me of the 1st car crash fatality that I saw, from memory it was a Morris Marshall, the front of the car was about 2 foot long, the engine was etc was all over the drivers seat, I have never forgotten that incident, red stuff everywhere and a funny smell :ergh: