MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   TAC HQ (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The unknown moderator (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16558)

Ryan 07-05-11 01:34

The unknown moderator

Just an observation/question.
I've noticed in several threads now the appearance of the 'MLU moderator' with '65,000+' posts. This leaves me a little cold as I have no idea who this person or persons are. In a forum that encourages the use of real names this new masked crusader seems a little out of place.
Is the 'MLU moderator' a single entity? Or is it the new MLU admin volunteers who can now post under a new shared title?
What's wrong with knowing who our moderators are? I'm sure they are passionate about MLU and compassionate to MLU'ers.
Guess I'm just calling for a bit of respect both ways.
Ryan

Robin Craig 07-05-11 01:35

concur or however it is spelled

R

cliff 07-05-11 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 146889)
Is the 'MLU moderator' a single entity? Or is it the new MLU admin volunteers who can now post under a new shared title?
What's wrong with knowing who our moderators are? I'm sure they are passionate about MLU and compassionate to MLU'ers.
Guess I'm just calling for a bit of respect both ways.
Ryan

Ryan The new 'volunteer' moderators have their original call signs with 'moderator' underneath.

Admin people like Hanno have alter ego's so they can test the forums using 'less power' to change things then what they normally have. I suspect that they forgot to change back to their normal status before moderating the posts. :)

Keith Webb 07-05-11 06:33

Number of posts

This is some sort of default number, something the software automatically added.

Lynn Eades 07-05-11 07:21

MLU Demi God

Is it the total number of posts on the forum?

Ryan 07-05-11 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 146897)
Admin people like Hanno have alter ego's so they can test the forums using 'less power' to change things then what they normally have.

Cliff,I take it you mean 'more power' and not 'less'.

I just don't want to see the community feel of MLU degrade any by the use of anonymous moderator posts. When something went astray in the past Sunray would swoop in and settle things quickly. It was open and honest. I liked it that way. If there are now several 'Sunrays' ok but let all know who you are in your posts.
Ryan

David_Hayward (RIP) 07-05-11 10:28

Mods

I have changed my title to reflect.

cliff 07-05-11 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 146904)
Cliff,I take it you mean 'more power' and not 'less'.

I just don't want to see the community feel of MLU degrade any by the use of anonymous moderator posts. When something went astray in the past Sunray would swoop in and settle things quickly. It was open and honest. I liked it that way. If there are now several 'Sunrays' ok but let all know who you are in your posts.
Ryan

No I meant less power. Hanno as Admin has more power then a moderator and if he changes something and needs to see if it works for a moderator he needs to login under another name, one who has just the powers of a moderator.

As to open and honest Ryan, this site always has been and will continue to be so. Yes changes have had to be made with Jif's passing with more folk doing the volunteer moderating job under people like Hanno. I too don't want to see the community feel of the site to deteriorate but feel myself that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill about the moderator post. :)

David_Hayward (RIP) 07-05-11 11:30

Admins

There are in fact four Administrators, one of whom is called 'Moderator', so this is merely a tool as has been said. On another Forum that I am a member of the team use 'Admin' as a 'front' for official announcements etc. This fictitious 'Admin' has a posting count in its own right.

Hanno Spoelstra 07-05-11 11:58

Guys,

It was me, as explained by the other Moderators. Will change the posting.

Thanks & regards,
Hanno

Ryan 07-05-11 12:36

hmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 146908)
feel myself that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill about the moderator post. :)

Not at all Cliff, simply bringing something up that I thought was not right. I feel at ease here at MLU to brings these things up. I don't believe I was ranting.

Lynn Eades 07-05-11 13:49

Ryan

My sentiments were in the same vein. Thanks Hanno Cliff and David for clearing it up.

David_Hayward (RIP) 07-05-11 16:48

Admin Moderator

There will always be an occasion where there is a requirement for 'Moderator' to make a general announcement as against being made by an Admin in their own right. That said I for one understand that no staff should hide behind a facade and be anonymous.

In the Forum I alluded-to, 'Admin' was originally the founder of the site but he brought-in Administrators to work with him and postings relating to rule changes, posting policy, new fora (forums), etc, of non-contentious nature were continued under the 'Admin' name. The founder used also to post under his name in hios opwn right when posting in a private capoacity. Sadly the founder passed-away recently and 'Admin' continues with the surving staff. I like to think that after the passing of our MLU founder, we shall continue to uphold his memory in every way.

Private_collector 08-05-11 12:32

Hmmmm....4 moderators

The bible saw this coming.

Behold, the four horsemen of the apocalypse! (Or however it's spelt)

Should only be three now.
Pretty sure my grandad thought he got one, when drunk, in a pub, in 1923.
May have just been that he had the DTs come to think of it!

Keith Webb 08-05-11 12:53

Moderator title

Perhaps we should change the name 'Moderator' to 'Beasts of the apocalypse' sounds far more impressive. :thup2:

aj.lec 08-05-11 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 146961)
Perhaps we should change the name 'Moderator' to 'Beasts of the apocalypse' sounds far more impressive. :thup2:

Or some of the seven archangels :D
Here is a list of possibles :note:
Most accounts name, Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, the remaining three are generally chosen
from Metatron, Remiel, Sariel, Anael, Raguel and Raziel.

Lynn Eades 08-05-11 22:22

Topic

Aren't we all getting a bit "anael"? Is there a thread anywhere that stayed on topic?