MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tributes (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Hugh Thompson (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30636)

Keith Webb 17-11-19 10:16

Hugh Thompson

As already mentioned we had the sad news on Friday that Hugh passed away in his home at Point Lonsdale.

Here's a note from Jan about funeral arrangements for those who would like to pay their respects:

Family and friends are invited to attend a Service to Celebrate the life of Hugh Thompson to be held at William Sheahan Funerals, 2-4 Murradoc Rd, Drysdale on THURSDAY (21 November) at 1:30pm; prior to burial at Point Lonsdale Cemetery, 159 Point Lonsdale Rd. Pt Lonsdale.

Hanno Spoelstra 17-11-19 12:51

I’m sorry to hear about this passing. Never met him, though I understand he was an icon in Australia. Enjoyed seeing him and his Ford Ambulance on your Year of the Blitz documentary.

RIP, Hugh Thompson.

My condolences to the Thompson family.

Hanno

Richard Farrant 17-11-19 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 264647)
As already mentioned we had the sad news on Friday that Hugh passed away in his home at Point Lonsdale.

Here's a note from Jan about funeral arrangements for those who would like to pay their respects:

Family and friends are invited to attend a Service to Celebrate the life of Hugh Thompson to be held at William Sheahan Funerals, 2-4 Murradoc Rd, Drysdale on THURSDAY (21 November) at 1:30pm; prior to burial at Point Lonsdale Cemetery, 159 Point Lonsdale Rd. Pt Lonsdale.

Thanks Keith,
We will miss Hugh at the Corowa Swim-In next year. Hugh was always there for a chat and with a few gems for sale. He has attended the event every year since the first one in 1980. I first met him and Barbara on Back To The Track in 1995.

regards, Richard

Keith Webb 17-11-19 22:33

Hugh

One of the significant things regarding Hugh was he was the first person (that I'm aware of) in Australia who preserved a CMP for what it was, rescuing it from the usual fate of being cut down as a yard crane. He did an excellent job of conservation over the next 50 plus years.

For that he well deserves legendary status in my opinion, although he would probably have scoffed at the 'legend' title!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 264651)
I’m sorry to hear about this passing. Never met him, though I understand he was an icon in Australia. Enjoyed seeing him and his Ford Ambulance on your Year of the Blitz documentary.

RIP, Hugh Thompson.

My condolences to the Thompson family.

Hanno

hrpearce 18-11-19 10:57

I always enjoyed talking with Hugh, will miss him at Corowa.

motto 18-11-19 11:57

Gone but not forgotten

Corowa will not be the same without Hugh camped in the cabin at the end of the row and his display of bits and pieces for sale from day one.

David

Jan Thompson 22-11-19 07:55

To all who have sent condolence and/or attended Hugh's funeral Barbara, James, Jan and Troy thank everyone for their support.