MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The MLU Sappers Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What is this vehicle on Omaha beach? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10691)

sapper740 08-03-08 23:06

What is this vehicle on Omaha beach?

3 Attachment(s)
I was looking at this picture of a very busy scene on Omaha beach when I noticed two stakeside bulldozer trailers? Can anyone identify what this piece of kit is? Thanks, Derek.

Noel Burgess 09-03-08 00:33

That is an "Athey "Trailer - I believe there were two sizes but dont know anything about their use except that I also noticed them in the same picture. I have a copy of "Standard Military Vehicles" which has some data but it's in the bedroom :eek:, and "she who thinks she should be obeyed" has retired for the night - so maybe more info tomrrow
Noel

Bill Murray 09-03-08 04:22

"Trailer, Athey, Track Laying, 6 ton BT898-1"
From TM-9-2800 as Noel cited.

I will try to scan a pic from the manual tomorrow.
Bill

Les Freathy 09-03-08 16:14

Hi Derek

The lads are correct re the trailer but take another look at the photo in the centre are two workshop trucks these belong to a batch of U S Navy beach recovery and repair units, a small number were set up on the beaches to repair and move on as quickly as possible broken down and drowned vehicles and repair damaged landing craft.. The GMC is a standard chassis with the higher tilt to accomdate the workshop but the box type behind is also a Jimmy but has large single tyres unusual for this period but obviously designed to cope with soft sandy conditions, some where i have a photo of another set up showing two GMCs with large singles
cheers
Les

Bill Murray 09-03-08 16:49

2 Attachment(s)
Athey images.
Sorry they are a bit crooked but that book is a bitch to copy from and I am not a real good photoshop editor.
Bill

sapper740 09-03-08 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Freathy (Post 95159)
Hi Derek

The lads are correct re the trailer but take another look at the photo in the centre are two workshop trucks these belong to a batch of U S Navy beach recovery and repair units, a small number were set up on the beaches to repair and move on as quickly as possible broken down and drowned vehicles and repair damaged landing craft.. The GMC is a standard chassis with the higher tilt to accomdate the workshop but the box type behind is also a Jimmy but has large single tyres unusual for this period but obviously designed to cope with soft sandy conditions, some where i have a photo of another set up showing two GMCs with large singles
cheers
Les

Good pick up Les, I hadn't noticed the single tyres on the one truck...not something one see's very often. I have a pic of a CCKW with with dual wheels on the front, something I understand wasn't uncommon. I imagine the U.S. equivalent of REME were very busy in the days following June 6th. There's lots going on in this picture...Weasels, Jeeps, Jimmy's, Hedgehogs, Belgian gates.

CHIMO! Derek.

Richard Farrant 09-03-08 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Freathy (Post 95159)
behind is also a Jimmy but has large single tyres unusual for this period but obviously designed to cope with soft sandy conditions,

Les,

I have seen them on DUKW wheels, which is what they may be.

sapper740 09-03-08 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Burgess (Post 95117)
That is an "Athey "Trailer - I believe there were two sizes but dont know anything about their use except that I also noticed them in the same picture. I have a copy of "Standard Military Vehicles" which has some data but it's in the bedroom :eek:, and "she who thinks she should be obeyed" has retired for the night - so maybe more info tomrrow
Noel

Thanks Noel, et al, I must have been asleep at the switch last night as the subject of Athey trailers came up in a recent thread of mine entitled "Canadian towed Bofors trials". Y'see, I found an excellent Porter yesterday I hadn't tried before and was enjoying a few last night while posting this thread. :cheers:

CHIMO! Derek

Les Freathy 09-03-08 22:53

yes good point Richard now you mention it i to have seen them and must have at least one shot in the DUKW folder to make a comparison, i will find the front view of the GMC and post it on here
cheers
Les

Tony Smith 10-03-08 14:51

There was a story in Wheels and Tracks No71 re the GMC Bolster trucks, CCKWs with DUKW wheels.

Snowtractor 13-03-08 00:42

Tracked trailer

I have seen pics of these trailers in Kakisa and Attu during the campaign to rid the Japanese entrenched there.
Sean

Jordan Baker 13-03-08 03:58

Did anyone notice the M29 Weasel sitting on the bottom Left hand side. You don't see too many pictures of them in Normandy. Vary interesting mix of vehicles.

Gordons 13-03-08 04:48

ATHEY Tracked Trailer

There are still a few of these laying around my part of the country, at last count there where 2 - 6 ton, and 2 - 10 ton models.

Gordons 13-03-08 04:51

Athey

few more pic

Gordons 13-03-08 05:01

Athey 6-ton

6 ton model

Noel Burgess 13-03-08 14:07

Does anybody have/know of any other pictures of them in use in Europe? I understand they were used by the British and Canadians as well as the US
Noel

Les Freathy 06-05-08 23:05

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Noel

Another picture come to light of the Athey trailers seen here in Alaska in 1942
cheers
Les

Bill Murray 06-05-08 23:10

Smashing Photo Les!!

What about the tractors, any ideas??
They could not be, but they look very Russian in design, at least the cabs.
Bill

Les Freathy 07-05-08 22:25

evening Bill

Not sure but i think they are 1937model cat 50s but i could be wrong
cheers
Les

Les Freathy 07-05-08 22:37

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of data pages on the Athey 6 ton model BT898-1 and its big brother the 20 ton model ET1076-1
cheers
Les