MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Query Re "Kelly's Heroes" (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9983)

Richard Coutts-Smith 25-11-07 10:47

Query Re "Kelly's Heroes"

One of my all time favourite movies, this has now been relegated to Sunday early afternoon veiwing times, which at least gave me the excuse to get out of a hot shed and in front of the A/C. while I try not to watch it with a critical eye, today saw me musing on Oddballs Shermans, leaving me with the very important, highly technical question that only MLU expurts can answer.
Oddballs tank is fitted with loudspeakers to create positive vibes while attacking, how does he play the music?? Assuming wire recorders were not in use then, the needle would have bounced of the '78, doubt if the local radio station would have been playing the required track.
Please come up with a satisfactory answer or I may have destroyed any future veiwings due to being a pedantic sod
Rich.

Bob Moseley (RIP) 25-11-07 11:59

Tank Music

Hi Richard - this is one of my favourite films of all time. However information from a film bloopers site states that the music playing is a factual error as tape recorders were not around until 1948. However I don't care and I'll keep watching it despite its errors.
Bob

Plushy 25-11-07 13:34

Its simple , Oddball actually just broadcasts a radio signal through the speakers and the people playing the music are back at his base camp playing the music into another radio set for him .With the amount of Dough he got for the Bank job he probably hired the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra or the american equivalent .

cliff 25-11-07 15:51

:coffee the official facts don't mention that odd balls positive energy allowed him to design the tape recorder a lot earlier then officially recognised. The sherman in the film was his rigorous testing of the tape recorder before mass producing it for the public. The bank heist gave him the cash to mass produce and market it :D

:doh: now I know the sod responceable for all those miles of brown tape with my favourite music on that I had to clean out of my FC Holden when the bl00dy tape thingy malfuctioned :nono: :D

chris vickery 25-11-07 15:56

Somewhere here on MLU I believe there was another discussion re this film...

While it is wracked with blatant errors, it is indeed a funny film.

Remember that this film was American produced during the heydays of the Vietnam war to be marketed towards a very anti-war public.

I believe that the producers took quite a bit of poetic license with this one. It certainly has the 1960's hippie feel to it and nonetheless is one of my personal favourites. Strangely, Oddball, (Donald Sutherland, a Canadian) was a few years ahead of his time...

Snowtractor 25-11-07 16:48

That's my other dog impression

" I'm just eating some cheese, drinking some wine and soaking up some rays..."

"...Hey man, I just ride in them. I don't know what makes 'em work."

" Wow, with all these positive waves, how can we lose"

A couple of my favorite Oddballism's

Richard Coutts-Smith 26-11-07 10:51

Thanks guys, it is as I feared, Hollywood strikes again...Will continue to enjoy in future with use of rose tinted glasses
Woof Woof
Rich.

Stuart Kirkham 26-11-07 10:54

Here you go...all the bloopers listed for your enjoyment. :thup2:

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1953

Bob Moseley (RIP) 26-11-07 14:09

Guess what I just watched again? For the who knows how manyeth time.
Bob

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 26-11-07 15:07

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Guess what I just watched again? For the who knows how manyeth time.
Bob

Sesame Street?

:sheep:

Bob Moseley (RIP) 26-11-07 22:28

Jif

:no4:

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 26-11-07 22:53

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Notton 27-11-07 00:10

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Sesame Street?

:sheep:

Very good Ball, you win a cookie.

R.

Bob Moseley (RIP) 27-11-07 06:44

Richard

:p :no4:

Richard Coutts-Smith 27-11-07 10:26

Tommy K
thanks for the link http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1953
Some of these guys are picky enough to be fulltime members of MLU. (Hmmmm.... they probably are...)
Rich.

Mike Kelly 27-11-07 10:40

Re: Tank Music

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Hi Richard - this is one of my favourite films of all time. However information from a film bloopers site states that the music playing is a factual error as tape recorders were not around until 1948. However I don't care and I'll keep watching it despite its errors.
Bob

Haven't any of you picked up Bobs blooper ? .. I thought you guys were well read on this stuff ! The Germans had magnetic tape recorders ( 6mm tape ) going in WW2 . They ( Germans) were transmitting such high fidelity music on their broadcast stations, which had the BBC techno types jumping out of their pants . It was a technical marvel of the time ... that the allies didn't find out about until they captured some sets .

Mike Kelly 27-11-07 10:53

link

Here is the whole story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_tape

Mike

Bob Moseley (RIP) 27-11-07 13:12

Thanks Mike

I can now watch KH again comfortable in the knowledge that all is technically correct. Oddball, whom incidentally is one of my role models along with Onslo from the British comedy series Keeping Up Appearances, was obviously a man ahead of his time and had captured one of these units. He obviously obtained all his music from Amazon.com.
Bob

Phil Waterman 27-11-07 14:46

I believe US Navy was using wire recorders

1 Attachment(s)
I remember as a kid having a wire recorder that my father had salvaged from the scrap pile at a Navel Research Laboratory that he worked at during and after the war. It was a massively heavy unit designed for ship board use with a large complex system for winding the wire onto 3" spools. It was vary similar to the attached photo. Only problem with these is if the wire broke or the end got away you had a mess of small diameter wire to untangle.