MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Power :( (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=797)

Vets_Dottir 15-08-03 05:04

Power :(

I hope you back-east people Canadian and USA, weather this big black-out without too much inconvenience and hardship. I sure wish that I could help somehow :(
I also wish I could blow out these fires burning and wish for rain rain rain and no lightening.

This century has sure started with unusual events..

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 15-08-03 09:22

Just got power back after 11 hours.... the click of everything coming back on woke me up!!!

Methinks someone pressed "The Red Button" somewhere. Danke Gott for BBQs....

Only concern is that I'm almost out of beer and gas. Sheesh. Hope the power holds until 1000! :eek:

Vets_Dottir 15-08-03 09:39

Guinness

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Just got power back after 11 hours.... the click of everything coming back on woke me up!!!

Methinks someone pressed "The Red Button" somewhere. Danke Gott for BBQs....

Only concern is that I'm almost out of beer and gas. Sheesh. Hope the power holds until 1000! :eek:

Want some Guinness??? I got 2 bottles in the fridge...I'll send them by Carrier Osprey. I don't like 'em and they come from Ontario anyways. The Osprey are getting the hell out of Dodge... too hot for the likes of 'em here. May even be able to send you some BC Krispy Kritters for crunchy-munchies??? The Krispy Kritters and the Guinness may rovide you with the GAS:pJust say the word GEOFF-O

(Look out.... she's backkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! And Karmen said...LET THERE BE SOME LIGHT.... POWER UP>>>POWER UPPPPP....SHNELL!)

Hanno Spoelstra 15-08-03 09:48

Re: beer

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Only concern is that I'm almost out of beer ....
OMG! I can't imagine the catastrophy or running out of beer - let alone warm beer since the fridge has stopped working 11 hours ago :)

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 15-08-03 10:15

I bought a few bags of ice sometime around 1700 last night.... at least my frozen food is still more-or-less 'frozen".... I won't have to eat it all today.

Still have bully beef, wine and vodka as a backup, so am ready for just about anything. Push comes to shove I can eat the cats (a bit stringy methinks at their age) and lean on the neighbours for booze.

Sheesh.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 15-08-03 10:19

BTW, Karmen, Guiness is a Food Group unto itself.... and let that be a lesson for you... :D

Max Hedges 15-08-03 10:31

Power

Geoff

You've made the news over here, or under here, good to hear that you've saved the beer and didn't have to eat the cats afterall (what a horrible thought). Hows the rest of Canada fairing in all this? We've had our power off for more than 11 hours years ago when a pole blew down in a storm, it was off for 3 days. Maybe your family will be expanding in 9 months was the power off over night and you had nothing to do hmmmmmm.

Max

Hanno Spoelstra 15-08-03 11:59

Re: Power

Quote:

Originally posted by Max Hedges
...and didn't have to eat the cats afterall (what a horrible thought)...
BBQ'ed cat marinated in Vegemite a horrible thought? Hmm, maybe you're right and we should stick to lamb chops :)

Snowtractor 15-08-03 13:01

The rest of Canada...

...is surprised Mel hasn't called in the army to chill bottles of some Bordeaux for those whiney Torontonians....not me of course ;-)

Vets_Dottir 15-08-03 19:53

Blackout or Smoke?

Hi... wow... I think I'd rather choose the blackout than the smoke in Nelson today. Heavy!!! Cough cough cough. Can barely make out the mounain/treeline a mile or so away, or even across the river about half a mile away. Smells almost as bad outside as it did in our apartment when the fire happened upstairs a couple of weeks ago... this ain't too good for my asthma...cough cough We're all getting "smoked" so we should be pretty tastey soon.

I think I'll hang onto that Guiness after all Geoff... sorry. Yah can't have 'em now!:D

chris vickery 15-08-03 22:30

PLUNDER and PILLAGE

Nice neighbours. Here's my bitch. After going into work this morning for 4 hours and finally getting sent home (shouldn't 'ave been there anyhow) I decided it best to gather some provisions, as word is the power is going to be on/off indefinately. Worst part was that the company I work for, decided it was best to plunder the local power grid for their own purposes whilst our neighbours in town do without. Somehow a stop was put to this (I think by the local authorities). Kinda ironic how this company is a multi-billion dollar energy supplying conglomorite. Anyhow, gas in town, where you can find it goes for $0.90 or more a litre, bags of ice $5.00 to $6.00 each and batteries $ 5.00 up per pack of 2 "AA". Beer is non-existent, groceries hard to get, things are tough. Shame on these merchants who take advantage of those who do without! I say boycott these a-holes and don't forget who they are. Don't get me wrong though, some locals are still being reasonable. I had to wait in line as the local station was totally out of gas and we waited patiently for a tanker to arrive in town. Personally, I'm glad to be a self-sufficient individual with survival tact. Got my army trucks, a full tank of LPG, some burgers and a coupla cases of ICE COLD BEER . Scrounging did some good this afternoon. Hopefully we can put this behind us real soon. Thats all.

Snowtractor 16-08-03 08:20

Profiteering

You, and others should record these bastards who jack the prices , report them and demand they be prosecuted. I believe there are laws specifically forbidding that type of behaviour. However, they may only be applicable if a state of emergency exists. Heck they shoot looters, these people are just looting your wallets.
To say the power outtage had far reaching fingers, the MIDS weather system was down until 2pm today so the nwt was missing important aviation wx reports. However, my office and other CARS stations ponied up and beside doing our own weather and aircraft movements, we sent FSS weather for stations too.
Sean

Jon Skagfeld 16-08-03 10:11

State of Emergency

The Province of Ontario has already been declared to be in a state of emergency.

Protifeers (gasoline @ .99/ litre, etc) should, I agree, be prosecuted, or at least boycotted.

Vets_Dottir 17-08-03 01:30

Re: State of Emergency

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
The Province of Ontario has already been declared to be in a state of emergency.

Protifeers (gasoline @ .99/ litre, etc) should, I agree, be prosecuted, or at least boycotted.

Why not prosecuted AND boycotted... and maybe shot too?

I really do hope everyone is ok back there (Ontario) and that the power comes and stays on!

Back to GUINNESS... what and why the heck is that "thing" rattling around in the bottle of Guinness? Is THAT the "foodgroup" Geoff was on about? I couldn't resist...was thirsty last nite, parched throat from smoke:) and opened one of the 2 bottles I had (cold! my fridge works!). YUK!!!! But it DID go down easier after the first few sips:p

Jon Skagfeld 17-08-03 03:10

Re: Re: State of Emergency

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
Why not prosecuted AND boycotted... and maybe shot too?

I really do hope everyone is ok back there (Ontario) and that the power comes and stays on!

Back to GUINNESS... what and why the heck is that "thing" rattling around in the bottle of Guinness? Is THAT the "foodgroup" Geoff was on about? I couldn't resist...was thirsty last nite, parched throat from smoke:) and opened one of the 2 bottles I had (cold! my fridge works!). YUK!!!! But it DID go down easier after the first few sips:p

That "thing" is a widget.

Look it up in yer Funk 'n Wagnall's...(say it quickly).

Garry Shipton (RIP) 18-08-03 05:10

What Blackout???

Geez,sitting here in the den with a cold one,in central air,reading all this stuff from GWB.Made me go out & get another 24,this thread made me thirstyVive les Quebec breweries

Vets_Dottir 18-08-03 07:41

Re: What Blackout???

Quote:

Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Geez,sitting here in the den with a cold one,in central air,reading all this stuff from GWB.Made me go out & get another 24,this thread made me thirstyVive les Quebec breweries

FERME la BOOSH (whatever! :p :D

WIDGET.... no Funken Wagnals...and WIDGET ain't in the WEBSTERS!!!!psst...what IS it???