MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ceremonial/Dress uniforms (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6555)

Garry Shipton (RIP) 12-07-06 23:27

Ceremonial/Dress uniforms

I don't know if this has ever cropped up before,but I thought I'd bring up this topic anyway.We know highlanders dress in feather bonnets,scarlet doublets,hair sporrans and white spats on ceremonial occasions,bur there are other mess dress uniforms that look good/
Victoria Rifles of Canada(now defunct)-my buddy John Donahue joined his dad's old regiment and I was impressed when he showed up at Air Cadets which he had left,wearing this dark green uniform with a tassle on the front of his dark service cap with a black dress belt and black buttons.Impressive.
-Another was my ex Air Force piper,now Lt.Thibault,on his way now to Afghanistan,wearing the dark blue 17th Duke of Yorks uniform with silver chain mail on the shoulders plus spurs
-another is the Royal 22nd(Van Doos) scarlet doublet and white broad brimmed pith helmet.

servicepub (RIP) 13-07-06 02:16

Re: Ceremonial/Dress uniforms

Quote:

Originally posted by Garry Shipton

-another is the Royal 22nd(Van Doos) scarlet doublet and white broad brimmed pith helmet.

The VanDoos don't wear the Wolseley Helmet, they wear a Guard's pattern bearskin cap - but with their cap badge centred on the front in the manner of a Fusilier's busbie (which makes sense as they are allied with a Fusilier Regiment).
The Wolseley helmet (broad-brimmed pith helmet) is the default full dress headdress for all Canadian infantry Regiments, and many of the Corps, that do not have another style of approved helmet. Therefore it is worn by the PPCLI and the RCR as well as by a number of Militia Infantry regiments. Regiments are identified by their cap badge centred on the front of the helmet as well as by the colour(s) of the puggarree.

Bill Alexander 13-07-06 12:07

Pugaree Flashes?

Clive, do any Canadian units wear pugaree flashes now? What was worn historically?

servicepub (RIP) 13-07-06 14:52

I can't comment on puggarree flashes but there are different colour puggarrees, i.e., PPCLI wear grey, RCR wear red.

Vets Dottir 13-07-06 15:38

What are "puggarrees"?

Thanks,

K.

servicepub (RIP) 13-07-06 16:38

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets Dottir
What are "puggarrees"?

Go to Penny's . The coloured cloth 'hat bands' are puggarrees. The word itself is Indian. The pith helmets shown (although really small) are Wolseley Helmets as worn in the Canadian Forces.

servicepub (RIP) 13-07-06 16:43

For what it's worth, I started this page ages ago but never finished it.

Vets Dottir 13-07-06 17:09

Awesome Clive :D Now I know what "puggarrees" are and look like ... and also visited the page you never finished. That's awesome too, of course :) !!!

K.