MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My 1952 M38Cdn and PE-95K Gen set (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25067)

Peter Phillips 06-01-16 15:56

My 1952 M38Cdn and PE-95K Gen set

5 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up from Calgary, Alberta about a month ago and have been having a blast tinkering with it and driving it around. It's mostly original with 30K on it but has had a few upgrades to the ignition, lights and brakes to make it more driveable and safe. It's still 24V and came with a fording kit, NOS heater in the crate, a bunch of new and used parts and a running Willys powered gen set. No big plans at the moment; just enjoying having it and will attend some shows and parades when convenient. It easily cruises at 50mph and tracks straight with little steering wheel play.

rob love 06-01-16 16:37

Looks like an original 50R winch. Before the collapse of 2008, the winches were selling for as much as the Jeeps. They have come down a bit, but are still very pricey.

Is that cart original to the generator? I have not seen that before....almost looks like an airforce item.

A lot of those old generators were running on WW2 engines. They were still in service when I joined in 1980. There was a CFTO to change them to the newer Jeep engines.

Peter Phillips 06-01-16 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 218911)
Looks like an original 50R winch. Before the collapse of 2008, the winches were selling for as much as the Jeeps. They have come down a bit, but are still very pricey.

Is that cart original to the generator? I have not seen that before....almost looks like an airforce item.

A lot of those old generators were running on WW2 engines. They were still in service when I joined in 1980. There was a CFTO to change them to the newer Jeep engines.

I'd have to check the winch Model Number on the data plate. The cart was an old turbine start cart for airplanes. I plan to make a flat deck out of it to mount the gen set on and put the original muffler back on which exhausts out of the bottom of the skid. Were these used in Canada as gen sets in the field? I vaguely remember the old pancake engine style generator that were mounted in the 3/4t trailers that could wake the dead. Seems like the big powerplants were always rental units when on excercise in Wainwright, Shilo, Petawawa and Gagetown.

rob love 06-01-16 20:30

We still had one of those generators in War stock in the 80s when I was a Cfn at base maintenance. We would pull it over once a year to fire it up, re-preserve it, and put it away. We had a few vintage pieces in war stock back then.

Peter Phillips 07-01-16 06:05

Woulda, coulda, shoulda :fry: Sure wish I paid more attention what was buried in CQ's stores and what was parked behind maintenance. Probably some good treasures there.