MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   carrier exhaust boxs (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16407)

kevin powles 09-04-11 10:52

carrier exhaust boxs

Hi,
I am making some carrier exhaust boxs at the moment, I have both kinds of the original ones here (squared off and rounded top ones). I have the exhaust bafflers made up and am working on the pipe bends at the moment, I think I can knock them out for £200 a set of two which includes the long pipes back to the exhaust cast floor plates, so basically a complete exhaust system in mild steel. The long pipes would be welded to the bottom bend as per originals. Ideally these exhausts are best fitted with the rear axle removed but can be fitted with the axle in place if you remove the rear tool plate and have plenty of patience and ground clearance to twist them into position, (those who have done it know what I am talking about), last thing you want is to put a connecting clamp between the bottom bend and the straight pipe part. I will post some picks once I have the bends made and welded.

kevin.

eddy8men 10-04-11 11:07

damn i just made mine up last week from odds and sods, i would definately have had a set off you otherwise, as £200 for the pair is a good price. oh well maybe next time.

eddy

shaun 10-04-11 14:14

Sounds good Kevin ! we will talk.

carrierbarry 10-04-11 21:15

yes please.

Kevin
Yes count me in.
I'm just looking into the possibility of making some out of stainless.
As you know 'cos' they sit up right. All the condersation sits in the bottom and rots them though quickly.
But, I'll have a set in mild and do the stainless thing next time.

Barry

shaun 10-04-11 22:16

Barry the trick is drill a small hole at the lowest point, infact i think they may have come out of the factory with one. i have had the same exhausts on Puddle Jumper for the last 11 years and i have done many miles, i think its more the stand not doing anything that rots them.
TTFN
Shaun

kevin powles 20-05-11 16:56

Hi, The first two sets of the exhausts are at the welders being made, once complete I will fit a set to the mortar carrier and take some pictures for those that are interested.

Just a note the pipe and bend sections may possibley be made from stainless steel with a mild steel silencer, all welded.

The price is a little more than first expected at £ 300 including VAT a set due to the fact that stainless piping is easier to work with for the tight bends but is a more expensive material and the welding and forming costs are now finalised.

Kevin

kevin powles 05-07-11 23:56

exhausts

Hi, Picked up the trial exhausts today and will profile up the welds and paint after checking there fitment to the carrier. Will post up some pics in the next few days. The boxs are zinc coated steel and the tubes are all stainless, To make an all stainless system would be in excess of £500 so this is an afordable alternative.

I am guessing the original systems would of been painted in matt silver/grey?.

I am having seven sets made in total. The guy has made a jig for producing them.

kevin.

anthony urek 06-07-11 00:28

Hi Kevin and others, I need at least one good exhaust elbow that goes through the floor under the manifold. Are these available or do you improvise?
Cheers.

shaun 06-07-11 00:35

Hi Kevin, good to see you today. Your guy is doing a nice job on the exhaust. They look super !! Could you PM his contact details ( and his name, you said he knows me ! old age must be gettin to me ) i will get him to do the tail pipe for the Big daimler. Thanks for the loan of the pulley. see you at Beltring.

carrierbarry 06-07-11 23:03

W & p ?

Kevin

Will you be coming to W & P?
If so will you have a set there?

Barry

kevin powles 06-07-11 23:47

Trial exhaust fitted

5 Attachment(s)
I have fitted the first made exhaust. The finished supplied ones will have stainless pipe right back to the floor casting, all welded.

The final price is a little more than expected £350 a set.

I am making 8 sets in total, two for myself so 6 sets are up for grabs, I will be taking two sets to take to Beltring, one set for barry if he still wants a set.

Send me an e-mail if you want a set, I know shaun wants a set so first come first served on the remaining 4 sets.

kevin.

kevin powles 07-07-11 00:00

more pics

5 Attachment(s)
More Pics.

kevin.

kevin powles 07-07-11 15:45

Hi, Only two sets still available.

kev.

kevin powles 03-08-11 11:43

Last Set up for grabs.

Hi, I have only one set left for sale, anyone want them then please PM me.

I am also looking to make the downcomers from the exhaust manifold to the floor casting, All stainless steel. I need an original undamaged one to copy (left and right) if someone has one to lend me.

Thanks Kevin.

RichardT10829 03-08-11 14:42

Kevin i have one... not sure but i think its the left side...i can send it down if you like ?

shaun 03-08-11 18:29

They are mirrors of each other , so if you have one it is easy to make the other. Kevin put me down for a pair please. Richard, why are you not building that workshop ?????????? he he he

kevin powles 03-08-11 18:51

downcomers

Richard, Have you a picture of it you could send me, if you could post it down that would be great, then I could set to making them up.

thanks kevin.

RichardT10829 03-08-11 21:18

will dig it out of the shed when i pluck up the courage to open the door.... Shaun the workshop continues.... the RSJ arrived today nicely over engineered so i can use it to hoist carrier engines in and out :)

Kevin i will grab that piece tomorrow, photo it and if you want it to copy, i will send it down.

RichardT10829 04-08-11 16:14

Kevin.. that piece is with the carrier in its secret location so will need to drive to said secret location to get the bit.....so looks like thats tomorrows job then :)

kevin powles 04-08-11 17:11

Richard, Once you dig it out send it down to me, I am going to make up about eight sets of these downcomers and they will be very cheap as I can make these at work myself.

The exhausts were expensive because I had to pay someone else to make them and they wanted to make there own profit, I have one set left here I am sure we can work out something if you want them, perhaps throw in a set of downcomers for the loan of yours. what you say?. These can be fitted to your carrier now once the angle iron and backing plates are on.

not trying to give you the hard sell but I would rather you had them, (shaun you have a set set aside). I am not going to make anymore as they turned out to be a lot of hassle.

kevin.

Rene Pijper 04-08-11 21:29

carrier exhaust boxs

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin powles (Post 145556)
Hi,
I am making some carrier exhaust boxs at the moment, I have both kinds of the original ones here (squared off and rounded top ones). I have the exhaust bafflers made up and am working on the pipe bends at the moment, I think I can knock them out for £200 a set of two which includes the long pipes back to the exhaust cast floor plates, so basically a complete exhaust system in mild steel. The long pipes would be welded to the bottom bend as per originals. Ideally these exhausts are best fitted with the rear axle removed but can be fitted with the axle in place if you remove the rear tool plate and have plenty of patience and ground clearance to twist them into position, (those who have done it know what I am talking about), last thing you want is to put a connecting clamp between the bottom bend and the straight pipe part. I will post some picks once I have the bends made and welded.

kevin.

Can you make for me a set
regards rene

Rene Pijper 06-08-11 19:58

can make for me a set
Regards Rene

kevin powles 06-08-11 21:39

Rene, check your private message in box.

kevin. :)

kevin powles 01-09-19 13:42

Hi

I have two sets of these carrier exhausts available, they are stainless pipe with mild steel silencer, they are complete pipes (welded, no joins) right back to the cast floor elbows as per the originals £300 a set.

uk only due to size.

Kevin.

carrierbarry 01-09-19 20:16

I brought a set from kevin some years back it fitted perfect.
Really well made, good product.
:salute:

RichardT10829 02-09-19 01:25

i also used the same silencers on Kevin's recommendation and they work a treat, however i used stainless dairy pipe for the remainder of the system.