MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CMP with 5D body (was: CMP with GMC CCKW body) (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32755)

Hanno Spoelstra 03-09-21 16:10

CMP with 5D body (was: CMP with GMC CCKW body)

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 108377)
New pics of F60L with what looks like an ex-GMC CCKW-352/353 body:
Attachment 124466

Here is a NZ Army truck with a similar type of rear body:

Attachment 124464 Attachment 124465
https://fotoweb.airforcemuseum.co.nz...F3074.jpg.info | https://fotoweb.airforcemuseum.co.nz...Fq%3Dchevrolet

Dudley P 05-09-21 19:08

1 Attachment(s)
I think Andy was saying his had the rear body of a 352

Attachment 124493

Alex van de Wetering 05-09-21 23:09

Hanno,

I was told the Dutch F60L was an ex-Stores truck with the wheel-wells cut out and patched. I have seen the truck in person and indeed it does show some welding and does seem to match up with a Canadian body that was seen on late Cab12's and early Cab 13's. (similar body also used for Battery charging truck).

The NZ one does seem to have an ex US GMC 353 body fitted....and even retains the cutout for the GMC fuel tank in the right front.

Phil Waterman 06-09-21 00:54

Known as CMPs with locally supplied bodies

Hi All

Nothing unusual about these trucks, they are just equipped with locally supplied body's. Meaning the truck out survived the body it was supplied originally with. Why deadline a good truck just because it needs a rear body.

I've got a Pattern 12 with an M35A2 drop side body, it was 10 inches to wide but a plasma torch and a mig welder solved that. Very similar to Australian drop side body, I describe it as a 1941CMP Pattern 12, with a locally supplied body.

Cheers Phil

Hanno Spoelstra 06-09-21 15:35

5D1 body

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 281705)
I was told the Dutch F60L was an ex-Stores truck with the wheel-wells cut out and patched. I have seen the truck in person and indeed it does show some welding and does seem to match up with a Canadian body that was seen on late Cab12's and early Cab 13's. (similar body also used for Battery charging truck).

The NZ one does seem to have an ex US GMC 353 body fitted....and even retains the cutout for the GMC fuel tank in the right front.

Thanks Alex for sharing your findings.
I have not seen the truck in the metal and before I first shared that picture in 2009 Clive Law hadn’t published his book “Drive to Victory”.
The 5D series body types with 20” high sides certainly seem to be a match, although I wonder why the external part of the wheel wells were removed on this truck.

Attachment 124519

Hanno Spoelstra 06-09-21 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudley P (Post 281700)
I think Andy was saying his had the rear body of a 352

That is what Andy told me as well. He was looking at the options to refit an original LAAT body a few years ago.

Alex van de Wetering 07-09-21 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 281722)
The 5D series body types with 20” high sides certainly seem to be a match, although I wonder why the external part of the wheel wells were removed on this truck.

Hanno, The only reason I can think of, is that someone removed the wheelwells to create a flat loading floor, which seems to be a common post-war mod. But, I agree, that he could have left the external part of the wheels well, which seems a bit "suspicious". I will see if I can dig out my pictures of the truck to support my claim.

Alex

Tony Smith 07-09-21 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 281722)
Thanks Alex for sharing your findings.
I have not seen the truck in the metal and before I first shared that picture in 2009 Clive Law hadn’t published his book “Drive to Victory”.

The tailgate still shows the sight-holes for the late Canadian style taillights for when the tailgate is in the lowered position; no provision for the US-style military taillights.

Hanno Spoelstra 07-09-21 15:09

Brantford 5D4 body

We have seen this truck before - I found the old thread with some excellent photos by Tony: Chevrolet C60L with early GS body. Also check out the links to see another survivor shown by Rolf Ask.

And Leo's 1942 ford f60l also has a 5D4 body.

Alex van de Wetering 07-09-21 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 281745)
We have seen this truck before - I found the old thread with some excellent photos by Tony: Chevrolet C60L with early GS body. Also check out the links to see another survivor shown by Rolf Ask.

And Leo's 1942 ford f60l also has a 5D4 body.

Yes, the forum contains a couple more pictures showing this old style body, but I can't find them at the moment. I seem to remember at least a few survive in Australia.

Alex van de Wetering 07-09-21 20:43

5 Attachment(s)
It took me a while to dig out my pictures....as usual it was a lot longer ago than I remembered. It must have been 2002 at a veterans day in Ridderkerk, where I worked at the time.

You can see the welded in wheel wells, which to me confirms that it is indeed an original Canadian body. I hope one day the owner will restore the wheelwells, and maybe bring back part of the interior.

Alex van de Wetering 07-09-21 20:51

4 Attachment(s)
As mentioned earlier, someone once told me it was an ex-Stores truck, but I actually think it might have been a Workshop truck originally.....as it has the panel/cover on the right hand side, near the front of the body (for battery charging?)....and the steps on the tailgate are further apart on a woskhop truck when compared with the stores body.

Attached are some pictures of Clive's Factory photo's CD. Cab12 Stores and Cab 13 Workshop.

Attachment 124546 Attachment 124547

Attachment 124548 Attachment 124549

Alex van de Wetering 07-09-21 21:12

There is a period (close-up) picture in the Canadian archives of a soldier charging batteries from the right-hand side cover of one these bodies....but sadly the Library website seems to be offline at the moment (?). Anyone have the picture on their harddisk?

Hanno Spoelstra 07-09-21 22:33

Excellent Alex, thanks!

The person altering the body by taking out the wheelhouses must have taken his job seriously and removed the external parts as well to make a neat job of it.

Hanno Spoelstra 10-09-21 16:14

2 Attachment(s)
Note: this truck is for sale - see http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32774

Attachment 124596 Attachment 124587

Hanno Spoelstra 25-10-21 21:15

1 Attachment(s)
Polish 2nd Corps, workshop units (coll.: Sikorski Institute. London)

Attachment 125493