MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chore horse generator ? identification? BSA? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12391)

Alex van de Wetering 07-02-09 15:55

Chore horse generator ? identification? BSA?

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I just picked this charging set up last night. I am hoping I have got my hands on a Chore horse, so I can fit it to my Chevrolet C8, but when comparing it to some pictures of other restored charging sets, there seem to be some differences. (shrouding around starter pulley, little box with gauge) In another thread on the forum Richard Farrant wrote that BSA also made some similar sets post war. Can anyone help to identify my set?

Alex

Richard Farrant 07-02-09 17:20

Alex,

It looks like a Canadian one, made by Outboard Marine & Manufacturing company.

The BSA was a post war build.

Bruce MacMillan 07-02-09 21:23

4 Attachment(s)
Yes it is a chorehorse. It looks the same as mine which is WW2 dated. Yours is missing the air breather and exhaust muffler. I think I have the manual for this unit.

Alex van de Wetering 09-02-09 16:17

Richard, David Pope and Bruce, thanks for your replies. I am happy I chose the Canadian set, as the same seller also offered a BSA one!

Bruce, Can you tell me how I could find the production year of my set? I don't think there is a date on the factory plate of my set(?). Or is there a production-list based on serial numbers?

Alex

Bruce MacMillan 10-02-09 02:34

I don't think there is an exact method of dating the charging set. OM&M went through many name changes from it's early beginning until now. It became OM&M in 1936 and ended in 1956 when it became Outboard Marine Corp. (OMC).
As it's name gives a clue the business manufactured marine engines. When the war came it made military equipment, the chorehorse was one item. When the war ended it went back to marine engines, etc.

My chorehorse still had the Canada decal on it so I know it was WW2 war production. Your red paint job may be a later addition. Have you tried to carefully sand areas to see if any markings appear?

Neil Ashley 10-08-09 09:20

5 Attachment(s)
I picked up this very nice CanadianMk1 Chorehore Generator at the weekend which I assume must be war-time production.

The base mounting plate is Canadian Brown but the rest is a strange shade of green which appears to be original? Can anyone confirm please if the gauge is correct?

Are the spare parts kits which came with each generator still available in Canada? I also need a spare plug lead and exhaust pipe if still available anywhere. A copy of the manual would also be usefull.

Grant Bowker 10-08-09 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Ashley (Post 117569)
The base mounting plate is Canadian Brown but the rest is a strange shade of green which appears to be original? A copy of the manual would also be usefull.

I doubt that the green paint is original, even the worst of the wartime factory workers wouldn't have been let away with overpainting the guage so badly. For a manual, have you checked out the WS 19 group online at http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/batteries-chargers.html They password protect some of their documents which is a nuisance but at least they make material available.

allengineering 02-06-10 01:52

i need information please

5 Attachment(s)
Hi my father inlaw has picked up one of these Chore horse generators at a garage sale and he has managed to get it going , but we have had trouble finding information about it or what they are worth . This is what was on the ID plate Charging set 300watt MK1 model CH1395-5 serial 62038 and it was made in Canada , can you help please. from Glenda in Australia. :kangaroo

gjamo 02-06-10 04:38

Chore Horse Genny

Hi Glenda,
Try this site.
http://www.megacycles.co.uk/batteries-chargers.html
Graeme

listerdiesel 04-06-10 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by allengineering (Post 131382)
Hi my father inlaw has picked up one of these Chore horse generators at a garage sale and he has managed to get it going , but we have had trouble finding information about it or what they are worth . This is what was on the ID plate Charging set 300watt MK1 model CH1395-5 serial 62038 and it was made in Canada , can you help please. from Glenda in Australia. :kangaroo

Glenda:

I have emailed you in response to your enquiry.

Peter

JRRDixon 17-04-18 15:14

Chore Horse

I was wondering if someone can tell me what Mod 1 means? I have a tag on mine which is screwed on.
Base is cast aluminum. It looks like it was painted post war but I see brown/od on the engine and tank.
No serial number tag, it was long gone before I got it.
Gauge has -20/+20 range.
Control box look silver originally.
TIA

Neil Ashley 17-04-18 17:11

Mod 1 would normally be Modification 1.

Post some pictures so we can see.

charlie fitton 17-04-18 20:50

and I'll be corrected here...that was likely the conversion to 24 v..

JRRDixon 18-04-18 03:16

Chore Horsepics

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 99396Attachment 99395 the side and the control box

JRRDixon 18-04-18 03:21

More.

1 Attachment(s)
The mod tag
Attachment 99397

The fuel tank. Appears aluminum cast?

Attachment 99398

RichardT10829 27-11-18 11:43

I have an OM + M Mk1 which I am currently trying to resurrect / rebuild. Can anyone advise how to safely remove the field coils from the crank ? I need to remove the crank to do a thorough job and replace the ball bearing in the case, which is fuggered :D

I have tried to upload a picture, but as I am using an apple device, the forum won't allow it

RichardT10829 27-11-18 18:01

It’s ok, I managed