MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A Guy Quad Ant page (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2254)

Keith Webb 18-07-04 22:21

A Guy Quad Ant page

This is the start of a page on Guy Quad Ant field artillery tractors. I have a few more to add to it in due course, including more remains in both Victoria and New South Wales.

http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/British...y/ws_front.jpg

This one is in the Melbourne Tank Museum - John Belfield has the remains of two others - enough to rebuild a complete example, although I doubt it's high on the list of priorities.

Bill Murray 18-07-04 22:59

A brave lot you Aussies. Can't be many spares vehicles left for that one.

I salute anyone that tries the more difficult restos.

I'll look to see if my eclectic collection has any Guy information that might help.

Cheers
Bill

Dave Page 09-08-04 19:23

It is nice to see the forebear of CMPs being recognized. Now, if only the engine would allow a three letter search.
Dave

Mike Kelly 09-08-04 20:43

Guy

Guy Motors Limited of Wolverhampton made some very weird military vehicles during WW2 and pre war , like the FBAX 3 tonner 6X4 .

I have a handbook for such a vehicle here. The engine is a huge five litre 4 cyl S.V. engine !! With two separate cyl heads made from aluminium .

The valves are inclined .

The water pump is mounted at 90 degrees to the engine block and is driven by a shaft .

The carby is a jumbo version of the Morris Commercial type , the dust proof RFV Solex thing .

Magneto ignition as well .

The tyre size is 9.00 X 22 !

If anyone knows of a gallant restorer of one of these , I havea handbbok for it .

Mike

Bill Murray 09-08-04 21:03

I've a bunch of Guy Ant photos I could post, just the GS variant if anyone is interested.
Bill

Dave Page 09-08-04 22:16

Bill,
that question is bordering on being silly, of course we are interested.
Lets see, from memory here, the FBAX engine was Guy's own engine where as they normally used proprietry engines such as Meadows [Ant, Quad-Ant] it was of 5.1 Litre capacity with alloy heads (two) and had duralium conrods. Just think of the embrittlement, quite a risk to run one now. Brakes were mechanical with servo assist on one or both rear axles, which were worm drive, I think?
An interesting creature the FBAX but BIG!
Cheers,
Dave

David_Hayward (RIP) 10-09-05 14:40

Guy Ants

I am interested in any shots of Guy Ants please as I have found some interesting pre-war ones, includong one of a tractor with Scammel fifth wheel + trailer from 1937.

Dave Page 12-09-05 17:04

Guy Ant images

Well here are a couple to start with from BritishPathe:
1633.18 00000080 - early (aero screened) GS behind Humber? LRC
163318.18 00000110 - three early GSs in vonvoy
Enjoy,
Dave

Tony Smith 21-10-05 18:54

There is a Guy Quad Ant Workshop Manual currently on e-bay. Item number 8008940664.

Hanno Spoelstra 17-02-06 23:51

From the MVT Green Sheet Jan. '06:
Quote:

FREE GUY ANT PARTS or to be scrapped.
Pete Gaine 01189 736480 (Berks)

John McGillivray 18-02-06 16:00

1 Attachment(s)
From the IWM site.

Description: BRITISH MILITARY VEHICLES 1918-1939
Guy Quad-Ant, 4 x 4, Artillery Tractor.

Period: 4 Inter-war

Les Freathy 19-02-06 12:49

1 Attachment(s)
Some photos of a vehicle that is rare in historic photos and even more rare in preservation
The restored vehicle turned up at Duxford a few years back and i have no idea who owned it or where it is now, but iwill bet someone has the awnser

Les

Les Freathy 19-02-06 12:50

1 Attachment(s)
The second two photos show the Guy in service, in the first shot of the two notice the prominant angle on the roof above the quarter panel most likely denoting a prototype

Richard Farrant 19-02-06 15:46

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Freathy

The restored vehicle turned up at Duxford a few years back and i have no idea who owned it or where it is now, but iwill bet someone has the awnser

Les,

At the time that Guy was owned by John Rowell from near Peterborough. It is on the back of a Green Goddess cab/chassis and I seem to think it was bolted or clamped to it! The last time I saw it at Duxford was nearly 15 years ago so do not know what happened to it, not seen John for nearly as as long either.

Richard

T17E1 17-05-16 11:24

Guy Quad Ant recent find

1 Attachment(s)
I found and acquired this one recently. I have just started revitalising it!

Attachment 82125

Tim Bell 17-05-16 15:05

1 Attachment(s)
Have this book on the shelf.

Attachment 82128

Tim

Tim Bell 17-05-16 16:49

1 Attachment(s)
Not mine...

2 x Guy Ant Quad chassis and parts on Milweb just now...

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/vi...ad=81087&cat=3

Attachment 82140

Tim

Keith Webb 18-05-16 00:42

Guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by T17E1 (Post 224672)
I found and acquired this one recently. I have just started revitalising it!

Magnificent, what a beautiful vehicle!

Peter Mossong 18-05-16 11:38

Guy Quad Ant page

2 Attachment(s)
Hi team. Here's one from the NZ National Archives I had just found while 'Trawling' there over the past weekend! I didn't know our Kiwi gunners had these as well as the Morris and CMP Quads.

First one is full view of photo, and the second is cropped and enlarged.
Caption reads: A NZ Artillery 'tough bus' towing limber and gun over rough ground in the Western Desert. Probably belongs to 4 Field Regiment. Taken circa 1940-1941 by an official photographer. Reference DA-00788-F.

The gun appears to be an 18lber on the late carriage, so taken during training.
This is the first photo I've spotted of a Guy amongst our Quads.....

Cheers,
Pete M. :thup:

Tony Wheeler 19-05-16 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Mossong (Post 224717)
This is the first photo I've spotted of a Guy amongst our Quads.....

Great photo Peter, well spotted and thanks for posting.

Looking through my NZ folders there are several gun tractor pics which may be of interest. I'll post them in your NZ thread.

Cheers,
Tony

Peter Mossong 19-05-16 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler (Post 224749)
Great photo Peter, well spotted and thanks for posting.

Looking through my NZ folders there are several gun tractor pics which may be of interest. I'll post them in your NZ thread.

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony. Will be much appreciated. I've been haunting our National Archives digital photos to find more on the Quads and vehicles used in Greece, but there are bugger all there..I don't think anyone had much time to muck around during that short sharp, and sorry mess!

Cheers,
Pete M.

P.s. More Kiwi Quads coming in the weekend.

David Burr 26-05-16 12:48

Mike, I have some Guy FBAX trucks!!! I would like an original copy of a book! And they are 9.00x20 tyres on the later ones. It appears only the very early FBAX in the late 20's early 30's had the 9.00x22 tyres, at which I do not believe any to be in existance anymore.....
It is interesting seeing all the parts on the FBAX, it has FBAX part numbers cast into a lot of the housings including the engine. The foot brake is mechanical with servo assist to the middle axle only, and the hand brake is mechanical to the rear axle. No brakes on the front axle. And yes, there are 2 worm drive diffs in the back.

Also Peter, if you come across any FBAX photos in the archives, please post them as photos of them are VERY VERY rare. :thup2:
Cheers
David

Eduard Sorokin 26-05-16 20:09

Please note, dear David - Mr Mike posted his message in 2004, and he can not have that Guy handbook today.
Anyway - good luck to You in this book's finding and possible obtaining !

Niels V 26-05-16 21:30

Guy FABX

5 Attachment(s)
Are these Guy's FABX

Eduard Sorokin 26-05-16 21:37

First image shows destroyed Leyland Retriever searchlight truck. All other pictures show the Guy FBAX vehicles with different bodies.

David Burr 27-05-16 09:50

As agreed with Eduard

Keith Brooker 05-06-16 18:41

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a original photo from my collection of a Guy ant in german use, i have a few more photos but have to find them.
Keith

T17E1 29-06-16 19:53

Guy Ant Quad ready for restoration

5 Attachment(s)

Keith Webb 29-06-16 22:13

Guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by T17E1 (Post 226204)

Wow, any more details, or images of the whole vehicle?

Richard Farrant 30-06-16 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 226208)
Wow, any more details, or images of the whole vehicle?

Keith, take a look at post #15 :)