MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CMP wheel manufacturers (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21491)

Ryan 04-01-14 12:23

CMP wheel manufacturers

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of pics in my F15 build thread lead me to wonder, just as rob pearce probably is too.
How many CMP wheel manufacturers were there in the war?
And were they just Canadian?
Here's a couple of pics to start with.
( I hope you don't mind me using your pic rob )

Richard Farrant 04-01-14 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 190011)
How many CMP wheel manufacturers were there in the war?
And were they just Canadian?

Hi Ryan,
Those wheels and not just CMP, they were made to a British War Office spec. (as were CMP's vehicles) and known as WD Divided Rim. They were fitted to a great number of British vehicles and the 16 and 20 inch rims even carried over to post war vehicles. The idea that wheels could be interchangeable was good. My own Bedford QL has a couple of Kelsey rims on it, so could have started their life on a CMP. British makes were usually Joseph Sankey or Dunlop.

regards, Richard

Ryan 04-01-14 23:25

Hi Richard, I had no idea they were interchangable between truck types. Good idea indeed.
Was there any manufacturing of these wheels in Australia?

Richard Farrant 04-01-14 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 190026)
Hi Richard, I had no idea they were interchangable between truck types. Good idea indeed.
Was there any manufacturing of these wheels in Australia?

Ryan,
You did have 18" wheels in Aus on some trucks, were they a divided type? If so I would guess they were local made.

Geoff Bottoms 14-01-14 05:07

Kelsey Rims

The Kelsey Rims where made in Windsor Ontario.
The plant closed in late 1985.

Marc Montgomery 16-01-14 00:13

In one of the old Convoy magazines is a wartime promo advert (from GMC I think) showing the huge press stamping out the wheel halves..and a photo of the actual press.. I seem to recall there was a little article I wrote to go with it.. to support the press the base was 20 ft deep of concrete (if i recall correctly--perhaps someone has kept their copy? There was always a lot of good and interesting info in them)

Just a note, back then GMC stood for GM Canada, not GM Corp.

Grant Bowker 16-01-14 01:19

Convoy Magazine articles

Marc, do you mind if people who have copies of Convoy post either photos or articles from the issues they have?
I'm asking in case you would see it as copyright infringement. Perhaps a clear statement that you don't mind republication (assuming this is true) will encourage sharing of the information.

Andy Mitchell 16-01-14 11:36

wheels

when restoring several Wot 2's we found that the two halves of Canadian and British wheels didnt match together, the vale "slot" was in a different position.

Marc Montgomery 16-01-14 23:50

HI Grant...
not particularly concerned about copyright.
The magazine was never intended to be a profit making venture for me... rather as a service to the hobby community..I had hoped it would break even though..

.unfortunately it sucked up ALL my spare time to write and correct submissions and and lay it out professionally, and collect rare photos and work them up in photoshop and and.......

.and cost me lots of money..

so with not enough support from hobbyists to break even,,, I packed it in.

Tons of good stuff though in there.. if related to a topic, post the pic.

m606paz 22-11-21 16:48

4 Attachment(s)
AEDB Volum 4

david moore 22-11-21 21:47

F8wheel

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a wheel from my (former) 1941 F8