MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Reference: CMP tool box and spare tire holder plans (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19356)

George McKenzie 29-10-12 01:47

CMP tool box and spare tire holder plans

I need someone to help me on this problem .I made up over 60 copies of How to make this tool box and sent them from Findland to Austraila .Lately I have been getting request for copies but I never saved a copiy for my self . Does anyone have a copy that they could post on MLU for those that want to make one ? Thankyou

Andy Beevers 31-10-12 00:08

Hi,
just to say I appreciate the lengths you are going to and hope someone can help.
Best regards
Andy

George McKenzie 31-10-12 18:10

CMP tool box

When I did this I didn't keep a record of their names .I do remeber a couple and they are looking for them . I have found some pictures but don't have the measurments

Howard 01-11-12 12:17

Plans

George,
I have found the Original Thread. That may help you track down any PM's you may have sent/received around that date.(?)
I note Bob C replied, still got a copy, Bob?
Good luck, I hope you can track 'em down! :salute:

Bob Carriere 02-11-12 03:42

Ah think so....

Were these the hand drawn notes George....... must have them filed inside one of my shop manuals.....

Will look for them....

Bob C

George McKenzie 02-11-12 19:30

CMP box

Great guy .At the time I sent them I couldn't get them posted so I mailed them .Bob They were hand drawn You will be a real hero if you could post them .I know that Mike in Windsor ONT had a set also .

Grant Bowker 03-11-12 03:44

2 Attachment(s)
George McKenzie's toolbox and tire holder plans.....
Bob was kind enough to loan me the package you sent him. I copied them and have made .pdfs of most of the package (except one of the photos that I couldn't figure out how to fit within the size limits for posting - that one is attached as a .jpg).

Attachment 53063 Attachment 53064

Grant Bowker 03-11-12 03:48

4 Attachment(s)
Photos attached. If we are lucky, George will be able to find the original photos in his archives so we have better quality to work from. Ohterwise, I hope this is good enough using third or fourth generation scanning.

Attachment 53068 Attachment 53069 Attachment 53071

Attachment 53070

Bob Carriere 03-11-12 05:21

So you have my package.....

...or did you give it back to me and I can't find it.....???

I am just finishing installing a new sound system and a new APC back up UPS.... yes the old ones crashed.....

so in the process of recabling everything I did a clean up of my computr space..... well the immediate area anyways,,,,, and could not find the darn copies.....

Is it possible you gave them back to me and they are in the barn....? withour other manuals.....

In any event thank Grant.

Bob

Npw to get back to unistalling the odl program that willnot cooperate.... now where is my hammer......

Phil Waterman 03-11-12 21:46

Is there a CMP Box Photo 3 file

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Bowker (Post 172142)
Photos attached. If we are lucky, George will be able to find the original photos in his archives so we have better quality to work from. Ohterwise, I hope this is good enough using third or fourth generation scanning.

Hi Grant

In saving the files off I'm did see a file titled CMP Box Photo 3 is it missing or a miss naming of CMP Box Photo 4 file.

Thanks Grant for saving as PDFs files George's excellent effort to document this often missing CMP part.

Cheers Phil

Grant Bowker 04-11-12 01:28

The missing photo

As I tried to make one of the photos a .pdf I kept getting a file size that exceeded the limit allowed for a .pdf attachment to a posting. I was able to scan it to .jpg within limits so that is the one photo that shows as a thumbnail rather than as a .pdf.

Bob Carriere 04-11-12 02:32

Pictures from George

5 Attachment(s)
I am still looking for thehand written notes you had sent me....stay tuned.

Bob Carriere 04-11-12 02:34

More pictures

5 Attachment(s)
5 more pictures and two more in the last batch....

Bob Carriere 04-11-12 02:36

Last ones

2 Attachment(s)
and I have to say something or the message will be too short.....Duhhhhhh!~

George McKenzie 04-11-12 17:31

CMP box

Thank's Bob for posting .I got a part list of some of the guys that got these plans Will do some asking , I have had to get a new computer and printer so think I lost some things .

Andy Beevers 18-11-12 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by George McKenzie (Post 172202)
Thank's Bob for posting .I got a part list of some of the guys that got these plans Will do some asking , I have had to get a new computer and printer so think I lost some things .

Hi George,
thank you for your time and trouble in locating and initially doing all this work, it is much appreciated and shows how helpfull MLU can be.

Regards
Andy

George McKenzie 19-11-12 00:10

CMP box

I still have to get the drawing and measurements yet .Out of sixty plans there should be somone that has them . I could take my box off and measure it as a last resort . Keep in toutch george

Grant Bowker 19-11-12 00:43

Between the photos Bob posted and the files attached to my postings above (#7 and #8) I think the whole package is covered: sketches with dimensions, assembly instructions and photos.

maple_leaf_eh 19-11-12 01:35

The collective wisdom strikes!

Isn't it nice to have friends?

George McKenzie 19-11-12 17:38

CMP box

Thanks Grant . I couldn't open your post until I down loaded Adoby on this new computer . I see them now . To make the clamps if you have a clamp for a pattern ,you make two molds with cement using the clamp for a pattern, and two rods for lining up the clamps ,Add some metal reinforcing bars in the cement . When it is hard put a sheet of flat iron ruff cut a bit bigger then you need in between and press them together to shape a new clamp. Trim to size when done .I think a little grease on the molds would help also . When pressing I would put a heavy plate on each side so as not to crack the cement PS I had sent a copy to Mike Timoshyk at Windsor ONT .He made a box and posted here when he restored his F15 CMP .I saw him on History Channel pulling two carriers out of the bush to restore last week Small world

Svenn Ryen 20-11-12 00:26

How is the bottom in the tool box attached? Rivets?

I have a toolbox with a repaired bottom that is attached temporarely with bolts. Will post pics as soon as I get it from the sand blaster.

Svenn

Jordan Baker 20-10-15 20:12

Hanno, this thread has the info you were asking about with regards to the pivots.

Jordan Baker 20-10-15 20:15

Also, just wondering if anyone can provide the spacing for the mounting holes on the bottom of the legs for the box?

Hanno Spoelstra 20-10-15 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 215462)
Hanno, this thread has the info you were asking about with regards to the pivots.

Jason, thanks for the heads-up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 215463)
Also, just wondering if anyone can provide the spacing for the mounting holes on the bottom of the legs for the box?

You mean these (circled in yellow)?:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...732#post210732

Jordan Baker 20-10-15 22:25

Yes those are the holes. Just looking for the spacing

Hanno Spoelstra 20-10-15 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 215469)
Yes those are the holes. Just looking for the spacing

Will measure them up for you - but, it will take a while as they are at a friends place to be sand blasted.

Hanno Spoelstra 31-10-15 00:31

3 Attachment(s)
Some detail pictures of the wheel clamp pivots:

Attachment 77094

Attachment 77095 Attachment 77096

Andy Fraser 20-09-20 12:16

Chevrolet C15A GS Tool Box/Spare Wheel Carrier

Gentlemen,

Not posted on MLU before.

I have a 1944 C15A GS which is being restored at the moment. Unfortunately my truck doesn't have the tool box/spare wheel carrier fitted between the cab and the rear body.

I know that the elusive tool box is very hard to find, but before I go down the fabrication route, I thought I would ask if anyone has one they are willing to sell to me?

No doubt this is a bit of a long shot, but no harm in asking.

Thanks

Andy Fraser

chris vickery 20-09-20 15:53

Andy, welcome to the forum
Yes, this box and the associated clam shell tire carrier is a tough one to find.
After all these years I am surprised that nobody has got into making reproductions of the shell brackets as the rest of the carrier and the tool box are simple enough to fabricate

Andy Fraser 23-09-20 10:32

Thanks Chris. The clam shells do look difficult to produce.