MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   FWD HAR-1 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1341)

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 18-01-04 23:58

FWD-HAR-1

Hi folks

I have just bought an FWD HAR-1. Here in the UK these are pretty rare, having only shipped it home 2 weeks ago, I will be looking for any footage or material relating to this Vehicle, alongside some parts. All correspodebce will be gatefully recieved, hopefully a picture should be attached(newcomer to forum).

regards

Ben Rippingham(UK)

Richard Farrant 19-01-04 00:06

Re: FWD-HAR-1

Quote:

Originally posted by BEN-RIPPINGHAM
Hi folks

I have just bought an FWD HAR-1. Here in the UK these are pretty rare, having only shipped it home 2 weeks ago, I will be looking for any footage or material relating to this Vehicle,

Ben,
There was a detailed article on the HAR-1 in "Wheels & Tracks" some years ago. Back numbers are still available. This should give you a lot of history on the truck. The RAF used them with snow clearing equipment, I remember seeing one at a show about 15 years ago, less the gear on the front, but still with the Climax power unit on the rear.

Richard

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 19-01-04 17:05

fwd har1 pictures

1 Attachment(s)
thanks Richard

enclosed are some photo's, as you can see this one (although used by the RAF) has its back body and winch. The winch I believe was removed for the snow plow to be fitted. If anyone has wheels&tracks no.5 I would appreciate a copy for a reasonable price or relative pictures, documentation to the history of my vehicle which also looks as though it spent some time in the french army?

regards

Ben

Hanno Spoelstra 19-01-04 17:22

Re: fwd har1 pictures

Quote:

If anyone has wheels&tracks no.5 I would appreciate a copy for a reasonable price
Ben,

Great find! Did the cab survive?

Wheels & Tracks issue no. 5 should be available from the publisher, see http://www.afterthebattle.com/

Hanno

[edited to split postings on this subject from the thread FWD Medium Artillery Tractor]

John Adamiak 19-01-04 21:57

Hi Ben, Wheels & tracks magazines can be still purchased on-line through Barbarossa Books (UK) also I have a hood (bonnet) and grille for the FWD HAR 1. They are in good condition and are for sale. If interested get back to me. John

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 19-01-04 23:33

hi John & Hanno

All of the front has survived, along with new pattern bulk head, which the previous owner has had refabricated. The worst pieces are the wings, which are cracker bread in places and the cab floor which is pretty much non-existant(pattern required). The truck is otherwise complete, apart from no Air Cleaner or Foot Pedals?

John where are you located, what kind of price would be asking for the hood & grill, have you anything else for this truck?

many thanks for your response

Ben

Hanno Spoelstra 23-01-04 13:08

ad on MilWeb

Speaking of HAR-1's - here's an ad for one found on MilWeb:

Quote:

"FWD Har-1 GS truck 1942
In British Royal Artillery (AA) markings, as lend lease.See Wheels and Tracks No5. Only known restored on the road example outside Australia. Fitted with Perkins P6 diesel, 20 mpg. £4750 or exchange for Bofors tractor.
0117 9615016
Ian Furey-King 21 January '04
"

John Adamiak 25-01-04 17:48

Hi Ben, re Fwd Har-1 hood and grill I am asking $350 for them and I am located just outside of Acton Ont. Hope this helps you out. Regards
John

Nick Bullock 25-01-04 18:36

FWD HAR

Hi Ben

there has been a FWD HAR listed on ebay a few times. Located in the leeds bradford area, it may still be available. I believe it originally came from Bingley brick works. there were originally two there .... although thats a long time ago!

sorry i can't be more specific as to the owner...

kind regards

nick

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 25-01-04 23:29

har 1 in leeds/bradford

Hi Nick

thanks for your response, just had a look on ebay but nothing. As I live up north (cheshire) any info on that truck or whatever remains I would be most interested in.

regards

Ben

Nick Bullock 25-01-04 23:55

HAR

Hi Ben

Thats what I thought. it was listed again a month or two back. the yard up at Bingley had two of these things inthere for years... The place is a housing estate now, but I imagine the trucks were recovered. At the same time they had 4 Ford LAATs a couple of Jeeps, scammells all sorts.... must dig out the pics.... some one in the west yorks area must have an idea where they went.... If i find a conection I'll drop you a line..

best wishes

Nick

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 27-01-04 21:36

FWD HAR-1 IN LEEDS/BRADFORD?

hi Nick

Thanks for additional info, a picture (if possible) would be great. This restoration of what will be the only 100% complete and original vehicle is gonna need all the help, assistance and spare parts as I can obtain.
ANYONE WHO CAN FURTHER THE TRACKING DOWN OR WHEREABOUTS OF THIS 'FWD HAR-1' PLEASE GET IN TOUCH.

regards

ben

David_Hayward (RIP) 27-01-04 23:03

FWD trucks

I have just had a phone call from my pal Stuart Broatch ...he knows a guy in Tisbury, Wiltshire who owns several SU-COEs and an HAR that are being restored

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 08-02-04 01:38

which har?

hi David

do you which har he is restoring?

regards

ben

Bob Moseley (RIP) 08-02-04 07:32

HAR 1

Ben
Have a look at my thread "An FWD Challenge". Alex posted a Russian site that mentions them.
Bob

Hanno Spoelstra 14-01-05 15:29

Re: ad on MilWeb

Quote:

Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Speaking of HAR-1's - here's an ad for one found on MilWeb:

"FWD Har-1 GS truck 1942
In British Royal Artillery (AA) markings, as lend lease.See Wheels and Tracks No5. Only known restored on the road example outside Australia. Fitted with Perkins P6 diesel, 20 mpg. £4750 or exchange for Bofors tractor.
0117 9615016
Ian Furey-King 21 January '04
"

Re-advertised on MilWeb:
Quote:

FWD Har-1, 1942
Royal Artillery markings. Towed a Bofors gun to Normandy 04,it is the only known restored example in Europe.Fitted with Gardener P6 diesel (20+ Mpg),brakes rebuilt, with new master cylinder and shoes, slaves reengineered.6 New tyres 200mls ago.£3750 or exchange for smaller truck/gun tractor.No fraudsters please.
0117 9615016
Ian Furey-King 14 January '05
I think I saw another one, unrestored, located in France, advertised on MilWeb as well.

H.

Hanno Spoelstra 26-06-05 20:13

FYI, ad found on MilWeb:
Quote:

FWD 1943 4+4 Far1 chassis cab
Very rare, all mechanical work done inc engine g/box brakes,part painted few small jobs inc wiring to finnish, drives and runs great,good tyres alround + parts truck included. £2500. Leeds.
0113 2506735 or 07957 368666
Tim Poole 26 June '05

Hanno Spoelstra 06-11-05 20:50

Ad found on MilWeb:
Quote:

Complete FWD HAR-1 Cargo
Rare vehicle Runs well needs some cosmetic work, Best offer (something a little different). Would consider PX on Dodge Jeep WHY Vehicle located in South Yorkshire
0115 9782413
Paul 04 November '05

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 09-11-05 14:05

2 Attachment(s)
thanks for all replies

i have already bought a second snow blower har-1 (picture-enclosed hopefully!) to break and make a good the cargo version that i am restoring. i need desperately a parts manual and a 90' degree body bracket which is one of two identical brackets which fits along the outside of the wooden body and fastens the bed of the body to the side, common to all wooden bodied ww2 trucks. good price paid for both items contact me on 07799113016 or 01270 763738 as i don,t often use the net.

cheers

ben rippingham

Hanno Spoelstra 13-11-05 17:30

Quote:

i have already bought a second snow blower har-1 (picture-enclosed hopefully!) to break and make a good the cargo version that i am restoring.
Here's a pic of what it should look when finished. I wonder if this is Ian Furey-King's HAR-1 as advertised above?

Good luck with your restoration, Ben!

http://www.armymotorcars.com/assets/...db_FWD_HAR.jpg

Source: http://www.armymotorcars.com/

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 14-11-05 13:17

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Hanno

thanks for sorting out my pics. the adverts you mention and the Ian furey-king har-1 are all vehicles that i know of and are all snow blowers or converted snow blowers. They have had front bumper/winches added from a halftrack(hence the holes in the end of the bumpers) and either fabricated or lwb gmc bodies which admittedly look convincing apart from their 8 inches to narrow. The only other genuine cargo har-1 which i have seen was this one which was advertised in france last year. If anyone knows who the new owner is please let me know?

hopefully, hopefully picture attached................?cheers

Hanno Spoelstra 24-04-06 00:51

Quote:

Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Ad found on MilWeb:
Quote:

Complete FWD HAR-1 Cargo
Rare vehicle Runs well needs some cosmetic work, Best offer (something a little different). Would consider PX on Dodge Jeep WHY Vehicle located in South Yorkshire
0115 9782413
Paul 04 November '05

Seems it's been re-advertised on MilWeb:
Quote:

1943 FWD HAR-1 Cargo
Rare vehicle, runs well, needs little work to finish. V5 log book. Best reasonable offer. Truck located in South Yorkshire.
Andrew Ibbotson 0115 978 2413 11 April '06
H.

Wyvern rider 24-04-06 08:34

Hanno,

I am pretty sure that the picture you posted earlier is that of the FWD that Ian Furey King used to own,as far as I know, he bought it from a guy in the Bristol area and had problems with the brakes for a long time, he eventually found out that that a previous owner had rebuild the brakes but put suspect pistons in the brake cylinders, which constantly leaked.

He eventually sold the FWD and bought a CMP to pull his Bofors Gun.

regards

Mike

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 24-04-06 11:38

hi folks

yep your right that truck is definately ian furey-kings as he sold it to someone in belgium/holland. anyone know of any others or is mine the only one............................??????
:D

Les Freathy 24-04-06 21:53

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ben
I look forward to the restoration of the FWD i presume you will return it to RAF livery or do you have other plans
the attched photos was taken at one of the early Budge open days i have no idea where it is now
Les

Les Freathy 24-04-06 21:55

1 Attachment(s)
second photo shows the HAR with snow clearing gear post war RAF

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 25-04-06 11:30

wow les thanks for those pics!

The first one looks like another genuine cargo har-1 and like you say where is it now ???????? I use to go to the budge open days during the eighties when just a boy with my old man so i assume the pic must be nearly 20 years old?

The second one although the more common snow-blower again is a pic i have never seen before and gives me an idea as to the tail pipe layout as i am fabricating an exhaust at the moment.

My truck will be restored as far chassis/cab and hopefully at stoneleigh show at the end of august. The body is another story both in terms of time and expense and will be next winters project.

regards

ben :cheers:

Hanno Spoelstra 14-10-06 15:07

1 Attachment(s)
Another HAR-1 is advertised on MilWeb, looks like an ex-snowblower :
Quote:

Extremely Rare FWD 4x4

One off Chance to buy this unique vehicle. Part Restored, all cab panels, chassis, running gear, engine, gearbox in mint condition, on the button, runs and drives excellent. Needs rear body, cab dials, bumper and coat of paint to finish. £2750.

Terry Till 14 October '06

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 16-10-06 11:53

SURPRISE-SURPRISE

Hi folks

this one turned up in stoke on trent. i live in cheshire and work in staffordshire, travelling on the m6 motorway. one day a few weeks ago this appeared in a small agricultural dealers yard on view from the motorway and i nearly broke my neck with rubber-necking surprise when i saw it as ypu can imagine :eek: as\ for my truck it was at stonleigh town and country festival under its own steam (just!) and am currently spending all my pennies on hardwood rebuilding the original but very rotten cargo body. will add \ some photo's. hanno you may need to help me with pics again if poss'

cheers

ben :salute:

BEN-RIPPINGHAM 16-10-06 21:34

5 Attachment(s)
hopefullythis new fly-zipper will work or be modified/improved to suit the forum by someone. pics include truck chassis/cab after nut and bolt rebuild and the body a few weeks ago prior to the start of restoration. hopefully also a pic of the new bright red toy, i'm sick of these odd-ball trucks so thats why i,ve bought one of those common close cab gmc's as you can see. :smoker:

regards

ben