MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chevrolet C60L with early GS body (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3383)

Larry Hayward 11-02-05 23:32

1 Attachment(s)
The attached photo shows a Chevrolet C60L Stores truck circa 1943 in the North Africa or Sicily / Italy, judging from the camouflage and the masked serial number.

But what interests me is that the vehicle has a GS body more commonly seen on earlier CMP trucks with number 12 Cabs. The shape of the rear wheel 'arch' is the thing that stands out. I have never seen this particular body on any No.13 Cab trucks.

Was there a significant production run with this body & cab or is this a one off modification?

Larry Hayward 11-02-05 23:46

Chevrolet C60L

The GS body on the above truck looks the same as this captured No12 cab vehicle (taken from another thread). Both have lower sides than the later bodies seen on CMP trucks in NW Europe.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...=&postid=10004
Source: Captured F15 image

Bruce Parker (RIP) 12-02-05 00:53

Wire Mesh

1 Attachment(s)
The wire mesh screening under the tarp makes this a stores or machinery truck like this:

Larry Hayward 12-02-05 15:11

Chevrolet C60L

Thanks Bruce,

The wire mesh can confuse the shape of the body but if you compare the rear wheel 'arch' on the photo you attached and the others I posted, then you can see what I mean. The C60L Stores truck has an older style body.

Tony Smith 12-02-05 15:20

2 Attachment(s)
The lower sides look like this Canadian Brantford body on this F60L. Anyone know the production dates for a 5D4 body?

Rear view looks similar to your 12cab captured truck?

Larry Hayward 12-02-05 15:59

Chevrolet C60L

Tony,

This is just the confirmation I was looking for!

So is it a Brantford 5D4 body?

Unfortunately there aren't any reference books (yet) that cover the complete range of CMPs and their bodies. Even the military magazines are too scared of writing articles on CMP's in case they get 'torn to bits by the likes of Hanno & Geoff & you!

Thanks

Tony Smith 12-02-05 16:22

5D4 body

1 Attachment(s)
This version was built by Brantford Coach and Body. Perhaps there were other manufacturers of this body type as well. There is a book called the "AEDB Canadian Design Record" that should show all body types and dimensions, but I'm not sure if it shows production dates. This is an official or semi-official book which is out of print. I don't have a copy, so if anyone has a copy to sell....:D :D

David_Hayward (RIP) 12-02-05 21:41

WHICH CONTRACT?

I get annoyed when I have new photos of trucks and cannot pin down the contract number..Mid-East theatre numbers are not quoted in the UK Census List, although the record cards do apparently. This is the list of 1942 contracts that might relate:

EGYPT DELIVERIES:

SM 2037 3-TON 4 X 4 160” W.B. [6,847] MUST BE MIXED ORDER BETWEEN CHEVROLET 8443 AND 1543X2 AND FORD C018Q AND C098T
SM 2104 3-TON 4 X 4 158” W.B. C.60L and F.60L/C018Q
SM 2145 3-TON 4 X 4 158” W.B. C.60L and C018Q
SM 2457 3-TON 4 X 4 158” W.B. C298QF and C.60L? [for UK (as well)]
SM 2474 3-TON 4 X 4 158” W.B.}presumed C298QF and C.60L
SM 2475 3-TON 4 X 4 158” W.B.}
SM 2577 3-TON 4 X 4 158” W.B. C.60L [also for U.K.]

Larry Hayward 14-02-05 00:03

More CMP body styles

1 Attachment(s)
Hi David,

Here's another CMP with a locally built GS body to identify - this time on a Ford F60L

David_Hayward (RIP) 14-02-05 12:59

s/m 2019?

Larry, I am conjecting a F60L to S/M 2019, some of which were delivered to Egypt. If the body is not Canadian, is it a Ford, Alexandria, job?

Phil Waterman 14-02-05 18:25

Re: More CMP body styles

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry Hayward
Here's another CMP with a locally built GS body to identify - this time on a Ford F60L
I love the phrase "locally built GS body" very useful, I'll have to use that when I do my display discription for the C60L. Much easier than try to explain that I fabricated the truck bed from scratch because the truck was found as a bare cab and chassie.

Bob Carriere 15-02-05 22:13

For added authenticity.....

Hey Phil

Try to make your newly fabricated box old looking...... shot a few holes in the sides and swing a sledge hammer to the rear corners....and mismatch the paint color. teehee!!!

Bob C.

Hanno Spoelstra 28-06-06 15:06

Re: Chevrolet C60L with early GS body

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Larry Hayward
But what interests me is that the vehicle has a GS body more commonly seen on earlier CMP trucks with number 12 Cabs. The shape of the rear wheel 'arch' is the thing that stands out. I have never seen this particular body on any No.13 Cab trucks.
Here's a pic of a restored F60L with the same type of body - at first glance. But, since it does not have the rear wheel arch, I think this is a modified GMC CCKW truck body or similar.

Source: http://www.pbase.com/kees_s/zandoerle

Hanno Spoelstra 28-06-06 15:14

Cross reference: DAK ambulance?

Pete Ashby 28-06-06 20:22

body

Hanno

I seem to remember coming across a number of ex Dutch army late 13 cab C60's that had been re-bodied with cut down GMC trays these were up for sale in the late 1980s

Pete

Hanno Spoelstra 28-06-06 20:46

Re: body

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Pete Ashby
I seem to remember coming across a number of ex Dutch army late 13 cab C60's that had been re-bodied with cut down GMC trays these were up for sale in the late 1980s
Hi there Pete,

That's news to me. I am not surprised, as I do know at least one ex-Dutch Army GM C60X was retrofitted with an American style workshop body that most likely came off a US GMC CCKW-353 (pic source).

When you say "coming across", do you mean in the metal or on photographs?

Cheers,
Hanno

Pete Ashby 28-06-06 23:10

body

in the metal Old Boy,

A few turned up on this side of the water for sale, ..........come to think of it could they have been late pattern Chev 1.5 ton bodies ?

Pete
:salute:

Hanno Spoelstra 29-06-06 11:01

Re: body

Quote:

Originally posted by Pete Ashby
A few turned up on this side of the water for sale,
Did you put them on your "where are they now" list?

Quote:

..........come to think of it could they have been late pattern Chev 1.5 ton bodies ?
Hmm, don't think so - those have a wider ledge at the bottom. I also don't think it is the body off a CCKW-352, the C60L with it's "cab 13 over engine" should have enough chassis length to take a CCKW-353 body.

H.

Pete Ashby 10-08-06 20:00

Re: Re: body

Quote:

Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Did you put them on your "where are they now" list?
There's a case in point where did they all go ? apart form the odd 60cwt at Beltring you don't see them...........

In fact I've just remembered the last time I saw a truck that had a rear body like that it was 2004 at what used to be a very good Vintage vehicle show near Swindon where the OCMP used to attend in force. The truck turned up late in ex sales condition, the OCMP hung around looking for the owner but we never did make contact with him.............never did see it again.

Pete
:sheep:

Hanno Spoelstra 11-08-06 22:35

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of a surviving F60L with 12 cab fitted with the subject body.

Hanno Spoelstra 11-08-06 22:43

1 Attachment(s)
And a couple of Cab 13's with this body:

Hanno Spoelstra 11-08-06 22:48

1 Attachment(s)
And another one, which seems to be CL 4274280. Last two pictures are cropped from P010872.jpg, found at http://www.ceris-normandie.com/

Jan Mostek 09-09-07 21:27

1 Attachment(s)
I know that the pictures shown below does not fit 100% into this thread but I do not want to put it into an extra thread. I found it by chance, searching through some american archives, with following comments:

Australia in the war. American trucks, furnished under lend-lease, play an important role in Australian troop movements from training camps to battle stations

In any case, I consider this, to me unknown, picture interesting and hope the others would find it interesting, too.

cliff 09-09-07 21:38

Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Mostek
I found it by chance, searching through some american archives, with following comments:

Australia in the war. American trucks, furnished under lend-lease, play an important role in Australian troop movements from training camps to battle stations

In any case, I consider this, to me unknown, picture interesting and hope the others would find it interesting, too.
I know of the photo Jan and it is the wrong caption for that particular photo mainly because they are no US supplied trucks. :)

Hanno Spoelstra 22-07-09 11:51

1 Attachment(s)
Another picture of one of these bodies on a captured CMP truck in North Africa.