MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How To: Restoring a 10 Cwt trailer (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30504)

CWO (ret) Gilles Aubé 08-11-19 01:58

Restaurig a 10 CWT trailer

In the artillery doubling caissons was a common pratice
Gilles

Robert Bergeron 23-11-19 03:47

trailer trains

1 Attachment(s)
CWO , i would not dare doubt your wisdom. So now i believe even though nobody produced a picture ! Meanwhile the work continues ....

Robert Bergeron 23-11-19 03:56

3 Attachment(s)
Been working on the towing end .

Tony Smith 23-11-19 05:26

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 264375)
Anybody have a picture of one of those trains in Canadian service ?

As for trailer trains my feeling is it is mostly a fairy tale reserved for Staff officers and designers back in Ottawa ..... come on , trailers in tandem behind a Jeep ?

Not in Canadian Service, but the Australians used them in much longer trains than just two, helped by the availabilty of captured japanese Artillery tractors.

Hanno Spoelstra 23-11-19 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 264854)
Not in Canadian Service, but the Australians used them in much longer trains than just two, helped by the availabilty of captured japanese Artillery tractors.

The Australians were the inventors of the read train, weren't they?

H.

Robert Bergeron 24-11-19 04:15

trailer trains

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Tony . It is a nice picture . Necessity is of course the mother of all invention . Here we see the towing attachment . The is to the left of the back of the trailer a small hook i presume is for hanging the following trailers lights plug cord . Just because these were factory installed does not mean they were ever used . I want to see a picture of one of these in use in Canadian service during WW2 . Please , anyone ?

Jordan Baker 24-11-19 05:11

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

Jordan Baker 24-11-19 13:13

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another great picture

Robert Bergeron 25-11-19 03:37

towing attachment

1 Attachment(s)
Jordan thank you . Those are fantastic pictures indeed . The question remains : Did Canadians in the ETO use this towing attachment in the back of the trailer to hook multiple trailers behind a Jeep or a CMP ? Picture (s) appreciated . Never ever seen any like the great Australian pictures provided in Canadian service .

Robert Bergeron 30-11-19 00:13

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on the front ends this week . I still have to see these used in trains in Canadian service during WW2.

Grant Bowker 30-11-19 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 265080)
I still have to see these used in trains in Canadian service during WW2.

Just to play devil's advocate, can you provide any definitive graphic evidence that these trailers were never used in trains in Canadian service?

Robert Bergeron 30-11-19 00:51

10 Cwt trailer train

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Grant but like St Thomas i have to see and touch for myself so I found a Canadian 10 Cwt trailer train behind a Jeep Liberty picture ! It will do for now . Just as i was passing 70 Km/ Hr the second trailer started swerving uncontrolably from side to side . It made it worse when i started braking . As the speed bled below 65 Km/ Hr it started going straight . CAUTION : Never ever exceed 65 Km/Hr when towing a 10 Cwt trailer train behind a Jeep .....

Robert Bergeron 30-11-19 03:44

1 Attachment(s)
Another view of the train ....

Robert Bergeron 01-12-19 02:24

«*T*» for trailer

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all . I haven’t received any pictures of trailer trains in Canadian service neither pictures of original «*T*» signs in Canadian service so i have opted for the same colour as the trailer for now until the information is verified with originals . Notice the little hook above the licence plate . Explanation later .

Robert Bergeron 01-12-19 14:48

«*T*» trailer blanks

2 Attachment(s)
Had to make forms to press the «*T*» into the blanks . It’s a bit like printing used to be . Here is the result of my first attempt. Next i will show the printing blocks. I am grateful the trailer came with an original “T” plate i could use as a template ( seen on the left of the two repros ) .

Robert Bergeron 01-12-19 18:21

1 Attachment(s)
My reproductions did not come out too bad .... little paint touch ups here and there and voilà ! A safe trailer train .... if they ever existed ... I have a black one in the production chain just in case someone comes up with a period colour picture ....

Robert Bergeron 01-12-19 18:30

1 Attachment(s)
My printing press .... Not Guttenberg but it does the job well enough.

Robert Bergeron 01-12-19 18:59

2 Attachment(s)
Q : Is there someone who overhauls original WW2 Gabriel shock absorbers ? Q : Anybody got NOS 485 chocks ?

Bob Carriere 01-12-19 22:18

Some choices to make.....

I am not aware of anyone rebuilding these sealed units.

First option is to clean them up externally and re install.....for the amount of driving you will do they will be fine.

Second option....cleanup/wirebrush the shock body...... you may find the Gabriel part number........ Gabriel still makes shocks very similar to yours. You will need to match the eye piece size and the length compressed and fully extended..........

Good luck

Bob C

Bob Carriere 01-12-19 22:29

Rock auto....$20

part number 81676......fits jeep 1945 front or rear......... what are the chances they are the same???????

Extended Length 17.73"
Collapsed Length 11.12"
Stroke 6.61"

Bonne chance.

Robert Bergeron 02-12-19 01:42

Ford truck / trailer Master cylinder

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bob for the tip i will look it up . The Ford truck master cylinder installed on these trailers ( previous picture with the shocks ) is still available brand new : Here is the part number . It is a perfect fit !

Robert Bergeron 03-12-19 01:24

Tow hooks

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all . I was missing a tow hook for the new trailer . Not finding any i took the one off the trailer i already had . Then i got a call over the week end from my good friend Michel who knew i was on the hunt for a Canadian hook . After work today i turned right when leaving CFB Valcartier and ventured into Shannon and called on my buddy . This is what he had in store for me .... Brand new NOS CMP hook . Original grease nipple , same as found on my MKII Carrier . He had more if anyone is interested . Next the wiring harness and the lights .

Robert Bergeron 03-12-19 02:55

Lights

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of lights ... my friend helped me take a head start on that chapter . . NOS Standard CMP stop/parking lights . Just what the doctor ordered. Great guy that Michel . Your 1156 LED bulbs suggestion might get tried here Bob Carriere .

Robert Bergeron 07-12-19 01:38

hook

1 Attachment(s)
I am happy to report that both trailers now have a tow hook and a “T” plate . Notice the little hook above the licence plate . I found it on the latest trailer and made a copy for this one . It’s for holding the following trailer’s pigtail cable when the plug is attached in the trailer socket of the preceding trailer .

Robert Bergeron 08-12-19 20:05

1 Attachment(s)
Did an actual road test today to adjust the brakes. Literature says they hooked up to 3 X trailers in train . It remains to be seen . My goal : Do a 3 X 10 CWT trailer train for real .

Bob Carriere 09-12-19 03:45

Do you take requests?????

We need to see a video of you backing up with the trailer train an no photoshop!!!!

Wonderful job on the trailers.

Bob C

Robin Craig 09-12-19 10:54

What did you use for the red jewels in the reproduction T plates? I couldn't see any reference to that.

Ed Storey 09-12-19 13:29

10 cwt Trailers

Nice looking pair of trailers!

Robert Bergeron 09-12-19 17:56

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bob . Backing up is definitely a challenge but i am practicing .... Robin , they are called licence plate jewels . New made in China , made of plastic and available at .50 C each on Epay. You tear the screw and bolt off . ... Pretty close to originals from afar ... The glass ones were $29 US each ....Thanks Ed , really appreciated .

Robert Bergeron 20-12-19 22:44

NOS Trailer sockets

3 Attachment(s)
It was Xmas today . Received two NOS trailer sockets in the original packaging . These were used on the 5 Cwt Scout car ( Jeep ) to plug in the trailer pigtail . The trailers to be used in train need one each of these so the park and stop lights work ... I suspect the were installed facing the rear on a bracket instead of their designated spot on the left side of the frame. Pictures show something hanging from a bracket on that side . If the socket was installed sidewise it would be awkward to plug in the following trailer and an invitation that it be torn off . I will show what i mean in pictures soon .