MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   carrier wheel bearings, t16 axle brakes and sprockets (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16555)

Hans Mulder 06-05-11 21:16

carrier wheel bearings, t16 axle brakes and sprockets

Good day gents,

Can you tell me if the wheel bearings were the same for all the carriers...universals, windsors, T16, etc...

Also, any tips or how-to replace a carrier wheel bearing would be appreciated.

More long term: I will also need to replace the brakes on my frankencarrier with the t16 axle in the next year. I understand that there are two sets of brakes: one set in the drums, and one set on the pumpkin. What was the reason for this and what set should be used for steering and what set for braking... Also, looking for a how-to guide on this axle teardown and rebuild.

Last question, my track is pretty stretched out and when I put the other set on I understand I should also replace the sprockets. Are the sprockets for the t16 the same as for the rest of the carriers... Either way, I need an appropriate set of sprockets or plans on how to make them.

Will take brakes, bearings, or sprockets in exchange for some of my stuff listed in the for sale section.

jeff davis 06-05-11 23:33

Hans

Hey you can lways give Me a call about fixing stuff ,I do occasionaly talk to Jr Officers
Jeff

Hans Mulder 06-05-11 23:52

I did not have the time to run this by you last weekend!

RichardT10829 07-05-11 10:52

Hans.....each to they're own but i put the wheel down on the ground chocked up on wood so the cast does not get damaged and so the center hub is off the floor... i then put a steel bar through the wheel from the top and knock the bearing on the bottom out...then flip the wheel and do the same.......give the wheel a good clean before the new bearing goes in.

to put the bearings back in i use a thick length of stud bar and two flat plates which are the right diameter for the bearing and to fit inside the hub.......you then wind two nuts on each end and tighten them up so they squeeze the bearings into the hub.....voila

Lynn Eades 07-05-11 11:35

Hans

There would have to be at least three types of bearings in universal Carriers. I suspect that the Windsor and T16 are the same. There are solid bearings (bushes) std ball race type, and semi thrust type ball races. There are at least two seal setups The bearings are all interchangeable when used in pairs (one wheel)

jeff davis 07-05-11 15:13

replacing bearing

I looked for a press to squeeze the bearing out.mine was seized in. I ended up using two plates on the ground to get the centre hub off the ground and then used the hydrolic outrigger from the crane truck i drove to press the bearing out. then i took the bearing to a Machine shop to measure it.ordered it and pressed it back in with the outrigger.
Jeff

Hans Mulder 07-05-11 21:16

Sounds simple enough if things aren't seized up. There is two bearing assemblies per wheel? And to clarify, there are three different types, but they are the same dimensions so they can be used on any carrier, so long as they are in pairs? I ask because my carrier seems to have a mishmash of parts and not having to worry about this would certainly make things easier. Also, does anyone have an SKF or other modern brand of bearing part number that would work in the carrier?

Lynn Eades 07-05-11 22:52

Hans

If your bearing is marked 1408, then the current number is 6408 (6000 series anular grooved metric bearing) The inner one of the adjustable bogie has a 50mm bore, the rest are all 40mm bore. Width (of all) =27mm O.D.=110mm.(all)
These bearings go into the wheel against a shoulder, with a spacer between the inner races. To knock them out, as has been described, support the wheel so that the components can fall onto rag , paper etc. Select a suitable punch, look inside the bearings, and push the spacer to one side. This gives you an edge of the inner race that you can hammer against. I find you can chase them out quite easily.
In the older ones there is a tin shield against the bearing. Further out is a seal carrier. this holds a seal (cork) which runs on a seal track. If you mark the spacer to the wheel, it will help you with the assembly. The axle which goes through each assembly locks the fork arms, seal tracks,bearing inner races, and the spacer, up as one assembly when the nut is tightened.
I have recently removed a few thrust type bearings from my early carrier.
They are R & M bearings, and marked "4HJT40" I have not seen them before.
There is a different seal assembly used in the MkIII carriers. It may be similar to your T16.( I have never seen a T16.)
Kevin Powes did a modification, so that he could use a much cheaper bearing. Check with him.
Note; This all relates to a Univesal carrier. You will have to measure up to check that yours is the same dimensions.

Hans Mulder 09-06-11 22:30

I do have a UC Mk1...it just has a T16 rear axle in it. Do you know if there are any differences between the idler wheel and the road wheels other than the bearing? Are they interchangable?

Lynn Eades 09-06-11 22:41

Hans

The wheel is the same, but the tyre is smaller in diameter - Road wheels are 20" dia. Idler is 19" or 19.5" I cannot remember the correct size. It is usually moulded into the tyre.
The inner bearing has the bigger bore, and the inner seal and seal carrier are correspondingly bigger.

Hans Mulder 10-06-11 18:45

Thanks for all the information! I wonder why they wouldn't have made the road wheels and idler the same?

Lynn Eades 10-06-11 23:10

Hans

They probabl;y were the same to start with, but my guess is the change occured as a "fix" to stop the rubber peeling off or dropping tracks or the like.

andrew honychurch 11-06-11 09:17

Interesting, I do not see any reference in the parts book of the T16 to the wheels being different, road to idler. However, looking at my idler wheels they almost look like they have been shaved down to the small diameter. It may be that it was a field mod to reduce the size for some reason?

EDIT.. apologies, the book does list a different part number for idler and road wheel!

Hans Mulder 13-06-11 18:14

I'm going to use some of my spare parts to build a tracked trailer along the lines of what you see pictured with the late 30's british carriers and wasn't sure how I should have the wheeled tyred, in the idler or roadwheel rubber profile. I think I'll use the idler profile if it is designed for that reason.