MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Which thermostat? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27416)

Mike Gurr 15-05-17 21:46

Which thermostat?

I need to replace the thermostats in my No2 Mk2* carrier. The workshop manual states the thermostat should start to open at 160 degrees and be fully open at 180 Degrees. The parts book lists the thermostat as part No 11A 8575 A. Mac's Antique Auto Parts list a 160 Degree thermostat for Ford Flathead V8 85, 90 & 95HP with part No 11A 8575 C or a 180 Degree one with part No 11A 8575 CHT. I am assuming that I need the 160 Degree one but does anyone know what the A or C suffix means and does it matter? Alternatively does anyone know of a source of a suitable thermostat in the UK?
Mike Gurr

Marc van Aalderen 15-05-17 21:57

Hi Mike,

Mine runs without...

Cheers,

Mike Gurr 15-05-17 22:04

Hi Mark,
That is always an option especially as we only run ours in the warmer months, but they were fitted for a reason and I would like to keep them fitted so long as I can make sure I have the right ones.
Cheers
Mike

RichardT10829 15-05-17 23:03

Ran my last one on 160's as recommended by the hot rod guys.

I ran it with rebuilt pumps, distilled water with water wetter added, no anti freeze..... ran spot on, and when she did get hot in France, all I needed to do was raise the RPM whilst sitting in traffic and the temp needle would fall... and that was in 30 deg heat.

I cannot stress enough however, for anyone rebuilding one of these engines, to pull the core plugs and get the silt cleaned out from behind the two pots furthest from the pumps..... then get the block dipped.

what a difference it makes !

also Speak with Jim Turnbull at Royal Kustoms, he will get you the correct stats.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 15-05-17 23:14

I've run with and without. In warm weather I can't tell the difference (I don't run it in the cold very often). Right now I have a pair of 165 degree ones, just because, as you say, they were there for a reason. One thing I always do is cook new thermostats on the stove to make sure they open before I install them. Some new old stock ones don't open.

Lynn Eades 16-05-17 08:02

Mike, I'd only buy wax ones.

Andrew Rowe 16-05-17 09:03

Thermostats

Is there not a technical reason for running thermostats?, that seems to be lost on a lot of people. I always understood, the reason for using them was that the engine was brought up to correct optimum operating temperature quickly , and maintained at this even temperature for the running efficiency of the engine. It also slows the circulation of the water to allow heat to dissipate through the radiator core, rather than circulating too fast......just my thoughts, Cheers Andrew.

Lynn Eades 16-05-17 12:19

Pretty much on the nail Andrew. They (stats) don't keep the temp down, they keep it up, and even,...... if everything else is in good order, (as you already know)