MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   CALGARY and Bus Depot (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7622)

Vets Dottir 14-12-06 10:02

CALGARY and Bus Depot

Hello Calgarian MLU-ers,

Do any of you MLU-ers from Calgary know which Greyhound Bus Depot is closest to the University of Calgary (Crowchild Trail NW area)? Greyhound.ca online lists 3 depots in Calgary and I don't know the city at all :confused: therefore don't know which depot is closest.

I'll be going to Calgary, probably Thurs. the 21st and need to know which depot I'm supposed to go to, and some other stuff :D

I'll have to find out which city buses/routes will get me from that depot to that University/Crowchild Trail NW area ... theres some kind of train type system runs right by where I'm going that I would use.

And of course, I'll also need to know where that downtown Passport Office is in relation to the University area again ;) and how to get there from the University area again.

The address listed is

Harry Hays Building
Suite 254
220 - 4th Ave South East

Any guidance much appreciated, please and thank you!

Karmen

Alex Blair (RIP) 14-12-06 13:51

Re: CALGARY and Bus Depot

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hello Calgarian MLU-ers,

Do any of you MLU-ers from Calgary know which Greyhound Bus Depot is closest to the University of Calgary (Crowchild Trail NW area)? Greyhound.ca online lists 3 depots in Calgary and I don't know the city at all :confused: therefore don't know which depot is closest.

I'll be going to Calgary, probably Thurs. the 21st and need to know which depot I'm supposed to go to, and some other stuff :D

I'll have to find out which city buses/routes will get me from that depot to that University/Crowchild Trail NW area ... theres some kind of train type system runs right by where I'm going that I would use.

And of course, I'll also need to know where that downtown Passport Office is in relation to the University area again ;) and how to get there from the University area again.

The address listed is

Harry Hays Building
Suite 254
220 - 4th Ave South East

Any guidance much appreciated, please and thank you!

Karmen

Karmenski..
Why are you doing this passport deal in person..??
Registered mail is much more convienient for you...
It takes a couple of weeks but I believe that for a few more bucks they will speed up the process and have your passport back by registered mail in two weeks.
Check with the passport office and I think they should have a 1-800 number and find out the costs and procedures for mail service.

Snowtractor 14-12-06 15:05

Service Canada

Contact your local Service Canada office, depending on the province they can do your Passport for you. They were doing them in the NWT , but not in Alta. However, they can assist you getting your passport, its what they do.
Here is their website www.servicecanada.gc.ca
Trust me, they can make the process easier and walk you through step by step. Melissa has been working there for 4 years.
Sean

Vets Dottir 14-12-06 19:19

Re: Re: CALGARY and Bus Depot

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Blair
Karmenski..
Why are you doing this passport deal in person..??
Registered mail is much more convienient for you....

Hi Alex,

My kid and I really want to be together for Christmas we've been hoping to have this happen and looking forward to the possibility. It works best, time and otherwise, all round for me to go to her ;) She's in CALGARY.

I "prefer" hand delivering my application if I can for a couple of good reasons. It's processed faster, at no extra cost, than mailing it in, and I figure that if the PP people can see my app. while I'm right there, if anything isn't done correctly I'd be able to start dealing with that immediately.

That 1-800 number hasn't been easy to get through to, which I've tried many times to but haven't gotten lucky yet ARGH! I keep getting messages that they're maxed out with people "on hold" and to try calling them again later ;) They're inundated with applications to process right now, obviously (Christmas travel and last minute applications for new USA entry rules that start in Jan)

The ways, costs and timeframes to submit and their NORMAL GOAL processing timeframes/waitimes and are given in WORKING DAYS, are listed on the PP site. (our goal is XX working days to process, does not include time spent enroute in the mails.

I did notice they have a options for speeding up the process by paying extra. Rates depend on which "hurry it up" time frame you choose.

It says on my application form instructions: DO NOT mail or use courier services to send your application form directly to a local Passport Canada office.

Gotta submit in person to the local ones that accept submissions.
LOCAL ones closest to me are in Vancouver or Calgary.
Mailins must go to Gatineau Quebec for processing.

:cheers:

Karmen

Vets Dottir 14-12-06 19:28

Re: Service Canada

Quote:

Originally posted by Snowtractor
Contact your local Service Canada office, depending on the province they can do your Passport for you. They were doing them in the NWT , but not in Alta. However, they can assist you getting your passport, its what they do.
Here is their website www.servicecanada.gc.ca
Trust me, they can make the process easier and walk you through step by step. Melissa has been working there for 4 years.
Sean

Excellent. Thank you for that link Sean, I'll give them a shot if they have a number to reach a real voice. Have been trying to get a real voice through the 1-800 PP number and failing, as you probably read in my last post)

(The local service centres listed in my indstructions pages give addresses for them but no phone numbers. They're the ones in Vancouver and Calgary))

Karmen

klambie 14-12-06 20:53

Re: Calgary and Bus Depot

None of the options are ideal for the C-Train, though it's not clear where the south stop drops you off - if it's somewhere near to MacLeod Trail, you may be in the neighbourhood of a C-Train station and a longer ride back up north.

More likely, go to the main depot at the edge of downtown. From there you can try the hike back to the C-Train at 7th Ave, between 7th and 8th Street (N. side) which will get you up to the University area (Dalhousie train). It's quite a ways (8 or 9 blocks since you can't go in a straight line) and it's not a great area to walk - the station is kind of on the side of a major artery. Bus station marked here and the area toward downtown.

http://tinyurl.com/yjtzwl

Not sure about buses down there, probably not a great number of options either. There is a 31 that I believe will get you close to that C-Train stop, say within two or three blocks. Double check that one though.

Certainly easier just to cab it from the depot up to the University area - a 10 minute ride max. unless traffic is really bad.

To get to the passport office (and back), the train will work pretty well. Take the southbound Somerset/Bridlewood train to City Hall station. 3 short blocks north on MacLeod Tr. (which is 2 St. E.) gets you close to the Harry Hays building. Reverse it all on the Dalhousie train from Olympic Plaze station (on the opposite side of the street) to get home again.

Vets Dottir 14-12-06 22:01

Hi Kevin, and thank you for jumping in here and trying to help.

You hit a lightbulb in me ... I seem to recall my daughter mentioning it's C Train at her door.

Yes, it sure is easier (and safer too!!!) just to cab it. I'm just trying to keep spending down to the absolute minimum :) ... in Feb I took a cab from her place to the depot and seem to remember that it took a whole lot longer than 10 minutes. (maybe the driver took the LONG way (as some will inevitably do to make more bucks) when he realized I didn't know the city and wouldn't be wise to his tricks :eek: )

Quote:

To get to the passport office (and back), the train will work pretty well. Take the southbound Somerset/Bridlewood train to City Hall station. 3 short blocks north on MacLeod Tr. (which is 2 St. E.) gets you close to the Harry Hays building. Reverse it all on the Dalhousie train from Olympic Plaze station (on the opposite side of the street) to get home again.
Thanks for the above ... very helpful! By the way, my daughter is working extra long days lately and can't make personal calls etc from work or she'd be able to call around and talk to voices for me and I wouldn't be asking so much in here ;) and as to home computer and the internet, she's a NEWBIE as this is her first computer ... and has only been online a couple of days. While I'm there I'll be able to help her learn a few things.

Karmen.

Snowtractor 15-12-06 01:01

Passport

There is a Service Canada Centre in Cranbrook BC, however, it is not a passport receiving agent site so they cannot help with passports other than to provide the client with an application. Your friend has a few options. The option they pick is going to depend on their timeline for travel. If they have a travel date over six weeks away then they could visit a Service Canada Centre that is a passport receiving agent site - there are three in B.C. They are in Courtenay, Kamloops and Terrace. Not knowing anything about B.C. I don't know how far these places are from Cranbrook…. In any case here are the locations:

Courtney BC - 130 - 19th Str. Comox Valley
Kamloops BC - 235 Lansdowne Str.
Terrace BC - 4630 Lazelle Ave.

If your friend is travelling in under six weeks their best bet is to go to a Passport Canada office. The PC offices in BC are in Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond and Victoria.

Vets Dottir 15-12-06 02:00

Re: Passport

Quote:

Originally posted by Snowtractor Not knowing anything about B.C. I don't know how far these places are from Cranbrook…. In any case here are the locations:

Courtney BC - 130 - 19th Str. Comox Valley
Kamloops BC - 235 Lansdowne Str.
Terrace BC - 4630 Lazelle Ave.

If your friend is travelling in under six weeks their best bet is to go to a Passport Canada office. The PC offices in BC are in Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond and Victoria. [/B]
Hi Sean,

Thank you SO much for going to the trouble of finding out this information and then posting it here for me, Sean!!! You rock ;)

I couldn't find any listing for a Cranbrook service center, so I'm VERY surprized to hear there is one. Even if they don't accept applications, I'll bet they can help me make sure I complete/d it properly before I submit it!!!

Those Service Centers locations are all MUCH farther away than Calgary is to me. Cal;gary is only about 5 hours from here. Calgary's downtown PP Office is the closest place that will receive submissions. Vancouver/Coast places that would work are about 12 hours or so (I think) drive from here.

Calgary is closest, definately accepts submissions, and is WAY cheaper to get to, and I'll be going there anyways to be with my youngest kid for Christmas. Flight looks to be about March 8th ;)

By the way, I don't have a vehicle so if I go anywhere distant, it'll have to be by Greyhound, since I haven't been able to flap my arms hard enough to fly yet :D

:cheers:

Karmen

Vets Dottir 15-12-06 02:13

Well I'll be darned ... I googled your "Service Canada Center" and found the listing for Cranbrook! Amazing!!! THANK YOU SEAN!!!! I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they'll help me to be sure I do everything correctly, etc.

http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-...i?rc=5977&ln=e

And so cool ... it's about 4 blocks from my place and right next to my favorite dollar store :smoker: (I go by it every time I go downtown ... :rolleyes: )

SEAN, I OWE YOU A BREW! :D

Karmen.

Snowtractor 15-12-06 03:56

Re: Re: Passport

Quote:

Hi Sean,

Sean!!! You rock ;)

Yes, yes I do.

Snowtractor 15-12-06 03:56

Quote:

SEAN, I OWE YOU A BREW! :D

Karmen.

Yes, Yes you do.

Vets Dottir 15-12-06 04:21

2 :D :D in response to your last 2 replies!

One day ... I'll even pay up with the brew to you too ;)

Vets Dottir 18-12-06 11:50

I want to say a special thank you to Bill Miller who contacted me and let me know which bus depot I need to go to. Thank you Bill. I owe you a coffee or two, or a brew, sometime :)

So, to everyone, thank you but I found out what I wanted as to which bus depot to go to and this thread has served that purpose.

It's currently -19 celcius here, which I just did a conversion online and that's -2.2 ferenheit. I'm glad I'm warm in the apartment and not shivering outside. But maybe I'll have a hot chocolate before going back to sleep! :smoker:

Karmen