MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Expression - choosing what mast to hang my pennant from (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33353)

Lionelgee 29-04-22 07:49

Expression - choosing what mast to hang my pennant from

Hello All,

Does anyone remember the expression choosing what mast to hang my pennant from?

I tried to find an explanation on the internet and drew a blank. Can you recall the expression and its interpretation?

My interpretation is about having a direction or a goal in mind then attempting to choose which ally or group to become affiliated with.

Is this interpretation correct? If not how would you interpret it?

No, I am not attempting to become hoisted by my own petard! That is an entirely different matter. That is what happens if one chooses the wrong mast!

Kind regards
Lionel

Grant Bowker 29-04-22 11:20

I would have guessed: make a (careful) choice regarding action or opinion and then stick with it - no changing course mid-stream.

Bob Carriere 29-04-22 19:14

Do we have a part number......

.....for the CMP mast????

Lionelgee 30-04-22 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 286315)
.....for the CMP mast????

Hell Bob,

The description of the Sergeant's Mess is "...future which don't seem to fit anywhere else". I just remembered an expression that my late Grandfather used when I was in primary school. I am just trying to confirm whether I remember it correctly. Also, to see if I have accurately interpreted the expressions meaning.

I nailed my colours to the MLU mast by the way of a MCP.

Kind regards
Lionel

Lynn Eades 30-04-22 06:01

Male Chauvanist Pig!.... Yes?,.. Present?..... Whadda ya want?

Yes, Lionelgee, you can nail your "Writ" on the mast! (what mast?)
Bob will probably start a thread on CMP masts..........

Are you talking about a sloop, a cutter, or a barc? (or bark, or a barque)
and which mast?, the mizzen, the rudder post, the foremast, or the aftermast? (hell, I know nothing about boats!- arhh., yes, definition = a hole in the water that you pour money into)
I blame all this on 2 years of covidity. :doh: :bang: :devil::ergh:

Note: my better half said you are correct.

Robin Craig 30-04-22 23:48

The pennant is in reference to your own identifying pennant from the sailing world. If you were a Toronto Yacht Club member you are entitled to fly their pennant from your rigging. If you cam aboard my boat and I was a member elsewhere we would fly yours as well, usually lower.

Others of our ilk would see the pennant and know a TYC member and a Howe Island Yacht Club member were aboard.

In the days before cell phones, it would have been enough for someone in an anchorage to come over and start a conversation and usually social mingling would follow and gin and tonics and a meal ensued.

Does that help?

I have witnessed, as a ships agent, a ship being arrested and a writ attached to the mast and a seal put on the fuel supply to the engines, but thats another story....

Richard Farrant 01-05-22 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionelgee (Post 286322)
Hell Bob,

The description of the Sergeant's Mess is "...future which don't seem to fit anywhere else". I just remembered an expression that my late Grandfather used when I was in primary school. I am just trying to confirm whether I remember it correctly. Also, to see if I have accurately interpreted the expressions meaning.

I nailed my colours to the MLU mast by the way of a MCP.

Kind regards
Lionel

I think the expression you are thinking of is “nail my colours to the mast”, meaning you stand by your belief or decision on a matter. A well known English saying. Although it is has a nautical origin the saying can is used generally.
Regards
Richard