MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Victoria Cross memoriam (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5021)

Jon Skagfeld 28-11-05 03:33

Victoria Cross memoriam

On this date, 1944, Major David Currie, South Alberta Regiment, became the seventh Canadian to win the VC in the Second World War.

In Owen Sound, near where I live, there are three interred VC winners, viz:

Currie, VC

Bishop, VC

Holmes, VC.

No other Canadian city can claim to have this honour.

Alex Blair (RIP) 28-11-05 04:29

Re: Victoria Cross memoriam

Jon..
better bone up on your V.C.homework before you start spouting statements like that..
Here are Three V.C.s from Winnipeg that all lived on the same street...

To citizens of Winnipeg, Manitoba, the distinction of having three Victoria Cross recipients living on the same street warranted changing the name of Pine Street to Valour Road in honour of Fred Hall, Leo Clarke, and Robert Shankland.

Vets Dottir 28-11-05 04:34

Re: Re: Victoria Cross memoriam

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Blair

Here are Three V.C.s from Winnipeg that all lived on the same street...

Hi Alex,

I immediately thought about these Valour Road VC Recipients as well, but ... ARE they all interred/buried in Winnipeg though? Or are some laying at rest overseas?

It sounds like Jon means the gentlemen VC Recipients from Owen Sound are also all buried there in Owen Sound? (Is this so, Jon? )

Just curious.

Alex Blair (RIP) 28-11-05 04:49

Re: Re: Re: Victoria Cross memoriam

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi Alex,

I immediately thought about these Valour Road VC Recipients as well, but ... ARE they all interred/buried in Winnipeg though? Or are some laying at rest overseas?

It sounds like Jon means the gentlemen VC Recipients from Owen Sound are also all buried there in Owen Sound? (Is this so, Jon? )

Just curious.

I reread that and Looked a little farthur into Valour Road and only one recipient survived WW1 so it is possible that the other two may be burried overseas..
Anyway Jon may be right and I stand corrected.

Jon Skagfeld 28-11-05 04:51

Yappy...thank you for re-interpreting that which what I posted.

Blair: Re-adjust your specs, old boy, and read just what it is that I "spouted".

Vets Dottir 28-11-05 04:59

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
I'm glad I read you right ... I figured the odds of 3 Valour Road (Pine Street then) V.C. winners ALL making it home after being involved in what earns a V.C. ... well ... the odds in my mind seem astronomical they'd all survive to come home from the war. That was just what popped into my head ... plus you wrote "interred" in Owen Sound ...

Occassionally, though not often enough, I figure stuff out all by myself and am even correct sometimes, even though comprehension is not my strong point. WOW :D :P :smoker:

Vets Dottir 28-11-05 05:05

Re: Re: Re: Re: Victoria Cross memoriam

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Blair
I reread that and Looked a little farthur into Valour Road and only one recipient survived WW1 so it is possible that the other two may be burried overseas..
Anyway Jon may be right and I stand corrected.

It would be really interesting, just out of curiosity, to know where all the V.C. winners are interred and see how many are from the same locations.

There must be a book listing ALL V.C. Recipients??? Just wondering.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 28-11-05 12:02

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Victoria Cross memoriam

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets Dottir
There must be a book listing ALL V.C. Recipients??? Just wondering.
Yes, there are several, but this is even easier:

http://www.victoriacross.net/default.asp

Fascinating reading if you start from the top and work down. The courage represented in these pages is indescribable.

Alex Blair (RIP) 28-11-05 13:10

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld

Blair: Re-adjust your specs, old boy, and read just what it is that I "spouted".

Jon...
My poor old eyes were not working as fast as my mouth...which is nornal...
Have a virtual beer on me...I'll make it a real one at CC5..

Bob Potter 30-11-05 15:37

Three VC's in one town?

Thanks for sharing this, Jon. It is truly something of which Owen Sound should be proud. Knowing you through this forum, I suspect that you if no one else in Owen Sound regularly pays respects to them and marks their graves on other days besides Remembrance Day.

When no one is left who remembers, the world gets itself into trouble again.

Bob Potter

Hanno Spoelstra 20-01-07 20:56

1 Attachment(s)
Note the use of a Sherman foul weather hood . . .

"Major David V. Currie, V.C., of the South Alberta Regiment in a Humber I scout car, Halte, Netherlands, 12 November 1944

Credit: Lieut. Frank L. Duberville / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-140875"

cmperry4 29-05-09 03:44

Valour Road

Apropos of Shankland, here's some recent news:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...dyGvxa6ZhHzmBQ

maple_leaf_eh 01-07-09 01:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball (Post 40774)
Yes, there are several, but this is even easier:

http://www.victoriacross.net/default.asp

Fascinating reading if you start from the top and work down. The courage represented in these pages is indescribable.

The link redirected me to a page offering various "brides" for far away lands!

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 01-07-09 03:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh (Post 116053)
The link redirected me to a page offering various "brides" for far away lands!

It didn't in 2005, when I posted the link... :(