MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   RCEME Workshop 27 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30313)

Clint Tauber 29-07-19 07:06

RCEME Workshop 27

Can anyone tell me where it was located? That’s where my M37CDN engine was rebuilt.

Wayne Hingley 29-07-19 15:38

Hi Clint. I could be wrong, but I think most of the workshops had a 3-digit identifier. There is/was a workshop in Esquimalt, BC (workshop 217). Check your tag again, sometimes the numbers are faint, or partly stamped over each other.

Clint Tauber 29-07-19 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Hingley (Post 262196)
Hi Clint. I could be wrong, but I think most of the workshops had a 3-digit identifier. There is/was a workshop in Esquimalt, BC (workshop 217). Check your tag again, sometimes the numbers are faint, or partly stamped over each other.

I will check again, it’s in a really hard to see area between the fuel and oil pumps. Sure looks like 27 though. I was kinda surprised because most of them seem to be 202 workshop.

Clint Tauber 30-07-19 03:24

Just double checked. It is indeed 27.

David Dunlop 30-07-19 03:52

Just a wild thought but if the rebuild date is pre-unification, could the Workshop have been two digit coded, or in Germany?

David

Wayne Hingley 30-07-19 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Tauber (Post 262218)
Just double checked. It is indeed 27.

Your right Clint, I found two other photos of engine rebuild tags with workshop 27 clearly visible like yours. Perhaps Rob or Ed have some additional info on the identity of that workshop.

...and to David's point, the dates are post-unification.

chris vickery 30-07-19 14:57

Not sure how far back RCEME used the LAD workshop numbers but 27 was a WW2 workshop number. Maybe a carry over?

Colin Alford 31-07-19 02:26

Gents,

The following link should take you to the RCEME Association website, Handbooks page:

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

Beginning on page 22 of “CAMT 11-1 1962.pdf” you can find a number of org charts and descriptions of the various RCEME units that existed at the time.

If this is the correct time period then I will suggest that “27” translates to “Workshop Branch, 27 Central Ordnance Depot, London”.

I believe there have been other questions on this forum regarding workshop numbers. Perhaps someone with better computer skills can obtain and post images of the Org charts for future reference?

BCA 31-07-19 15:33

Tons of parts were re-packaged to "27 Central Ordnance Depot. London, Ontario". It makes sense that if the was a Base Workshop at London then it might be 27 B W also. However Rob Grieve reported a list of Base Workshop numbers in CMP Magazine #13, May 1996. They were 3 digit numbers from 200 to 234, including 204 as the base workshop in London.

David Dunlop 31-07-19 15:53

Was overhaul work ever outsourced to civilian contractors?

If so, what would the rebuild tags look like, civilian or military? If military, would the tags be from the workshop sending the items out for rebuild, or a variation of them to show an outsourced rebuild? For example, could 217 shop send something out for rebuild and the tags would be modified to 27 to show this?

David

rob love 31-07-19 18:06

When we had Jeep engines rebuilt in the 80s, Bennett and Hanson was a common one as was Eastern rebuilders. Westrans in Winnipeg had their own tags on differentials and transmissions for almost all the SMP fleet. In earlier days, Levy Autoparts tags (a likely sign you were going to have a problem) tags were on gearboxes.

Dan Martel 01-08-19 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Alford (Post 262252)
Perhaps someone with better computer skills can obtain and post images of the Org charts for future reference?

Colin,

I extracted the 11 pages from the manual which dealt with RCEME organization to upload here, but the site is stopping me for security reasons. I've never had this problem before, but who knows.

And my photo site (tinypic) has just converted to a pay service a la photobucket.

I'll keep trying and see what I can do.

Cheers,
Dan.

Peter Phillips 06-08-19 16:10

1 Attachment(s)
Not that this adds any value but I have a 1951 PE-95K Gen set with a L-134 (M38CDN) motor in it with a workshop '27' stamped on the rebuild tag dated 7-7-69.