MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Canadian Centurion tanks intercom system? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29874)

jdmcm 27-02-19 03:52

Canadian Centurion tanks intercom system?

Perhaps the Canadian Centurion vets can help me out, what would have been the radio in place in Canadian centurions and what system was used by the crew to communicate? And we're these exclusively Canadian equipment or versions of US or NATO gear? I know it is easy to find the US Vic 1 and Vic 3 intercoms, would these have been the same or similar?

Thanks as always for the help

John

David Wilkinson 02-03-19 02:52

I was a crew commander in the Centurion Mk11 in germany from 69 to 72. The Centurion always had the Brit IC which was used with the C42 family of radios. They integrated the American family of radios (46/25 sets) with the Brit harness at the JD9, I believe. It worked great and in my opinion was superior to the US IC which I had as a Leo C1 CC 10 years later.

jdmcm 03-03-19 19:32

David

so did the Leo have US style radios and IC's installed from the start? I want to install a IC' in our Centurion, currently it has no radio, it does have some British IC boxes but how I would go about integrating components looks a little beyond me so I was trying to pick a system that would be simple and readily available. Obviously the drivers station has to go through the RBJ

John

jdmcm 03-03-19 19:40

David

would the Centurions in Canada also have used British Radio systems? I guess what I'm asking is, what would be the correct radio set for a Mk5 Centurion stationed in Canada?

John

rob love 03-03-19 21:35

The C42 was a pretty standard radio for the army in Canada starting, I believe, in the late 50s. In the early 70s, the US radios started to appear for the regular army, but a lot of the reserves continued to use the C42 radio until about 1980.

I have the equipment logistic directives at work for the Centurion. I am pretty sure it had information on which radios were used. I'll check tomorrow and post the results here if someone doesn't beat me to it.

While you don't see sales of the C42s that often these days, a big part of the reason, likely, is because they are so darn huge and heavy. Most guys don't want them in their jeeps. But they are out there, hiding in sheds and warehouses.

eddy8men 04-03-19 00:30

john i reckon your cent was set up for clansman

eddy8men 04-03-19 00:47

if you just want comms between driver and commander then motorbike comms set up will work well and is cheap and readily available

jdmcm 04-03-19 04:07

That makes sense Rick, I do plan to add a Canadian era correct radio, but it would sure be handy to have some comms especially rolling around a movie set!

rob love 04-03-19 14:41

From the ELD dated 4 Mar 77:

Mk5-Mk5/2

(1) Gun tank: One C42 and one AN/PRC-510 or one ANVRC-46 and one AN/VRC-53

(2) Command tank: two C42 and one AN/PRC-510 or two AN/VRC-46

MKll

(1) Gun tank: one AN/VRC-46 and one AN/VRC-53
(2) Command tank: two AN/VRC-46

ARV One C42 or one AN/VRC-46

AVLB One C42 or one AN/VRC-46 and AN/VRC-53

David Dunlop 04-03-19 22:56

Hello John,

If you decide to go the C42 route, send me a PM.

Cheers,

David

Dan Martel 05-03-19 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wilkinson (Post 258778)
...at the JD9...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmcm (Post 258829)
Obviously the drivers station has to go through the RBJ.

JD9 and RBJ? Please remember that there are some less acronym-ically minded members reading your posts too.

Thanks,
Dan.

David Herbert 05-03-19 02:11

JD9 is the 9th variant of a "junction distribution" box. Basically a router for the radios and intercom (IC) system.
RBJ is the "rotary base junction" which is the unit in the bottom of the turret which connects the electrical services including radio and intercom between the rotating turret and the stationary hull. It contains a lot of copper slip rings and carbon brushes and is the limiting factor of how many radio functions can be routed between the hull and the turret. In WW2 British tanks that had hydraulic turret traverse powered from an engine driven pump the hydraulic circuit went via the RBJ too, making it even more complicated.

David

Dan Martel 05-03-19 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Herbert (Post 258891)
JD9 is the 9th variant of a "junction distribution" box.

RBJ is the "rotary base junction."

Great response. Thanks very much.

Dan.

David Wilkinson 17-03-19 22:10

Sorry I was off for a while. Good info here. In the regular army, the US family of radios replaced the Brit C42 in the middle 60's. In most vehicle installations, except the Centurion, the American harness was used. This included the Ferret. Only in the Centurion was the total Brit harness retained till the Centurion was withdrawn from service. The junction between the US radio system and the Brit harness was done at the JD9. So all Canadian Centurions retained all the original junction boxes and wiring, headsets and handsets, tanoy microphone, IT telephone and reels cable with the green hornet hand set.

David Wilkinson 17-03-19 22:50

In addition. Gun tanks were equipped with 1 x 46 set (A) and 1 x 25 set (B) which could be quickly dismounted to use as a man pack. Command tanks had 2 x 46 sets plus a UHF man pack (can't remember the name) for ground air comms.
Most command tanks were equipped with the Canadian NavAid. I had one for three years and it never worked.

chris vickery 17-03-19 23:06

VRC series radio gear is certainly a lot easier to come by in serviceable condition...

Dan Martel 18-03-19 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wilkinson (Post 259231)
Most command tanks were equipped with the Canadian NavAid. I had one for three years and it never worked.

David,

Can you tell us more about NAVAID?

Thanks,
Dan.

Ed Storey 18-03-19 03:34

Navaid

See this thread on NAVAID.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ghlight=navaid

David Wilkinson 18-03-19 15:13

I couldn't get the link to work.

Navaid was a Canadian development in the 1960's. It was way ahead of its time but frought with mechanical and electronic problems. Plus, it took up alot of space even in the tank (saw it mounted in the Ferret-not much room for crew!). The gyro was a Sperry ship's unit. Very large and occupied a turret floor ammo bin directly behind the driver. The turret stowage was reconfigured to allow for the electronics and a large mechanical map board which was horizontal and mounted between the loader and comd. The map board had a ball resolver and a lighted arrow. This would crawl along under the 1/50k map and project an arrow through the map sheet with the location and direction of the tank. The ball was driven by the speedometer and the gyro compass. The technical limitations of the system were extensive.

The best use of the map board was as a work space for the loader to make peanut butter sandwiches for the crew! We used to say that we got the Brits back for selling us the agony wagon, by selling them Navaid. They were the only foreign sale.

Ed Storey 18-03-19 16:20

Navaid

Of course there is always the Forum search function, just type in NAVAID.

David Wilkinson 18-03-19 16:34

True :thup2: Just checked and good info there. Cheers

Mike Cecil 18-03-19 16:52

Navaid & Aust Cents

Navaid: Australia came ... saw ... and said No Thanks!

Mike