MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sunrays Sore Ribs (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3257)

Vets Dottir 21-01-05 06:07

Sunrays Sore Ribs

Hello Fellow MLU-ers ...

Poor Master Sunray is feeling poorly with a possible cracked rib or some such (for DAYS now) ... he also keeps getting hiccups that drive him crazy.

Please join me in wishing him a speedy recovery from the sore rib syndrome.... and offer up your remedies (centuries old remedies are fine, like in the days before paper bags) to stop hiccups before the "hic" ... they're harsh on the ribs :(

Thank you all in advance ;)

Oh yes ... another extremely maddening problem, spam spam spam virus adware etc ... pray he gets 'em all out of his computer as it's been infected badly :(

The good news? Well ... there is much good news too! ;) but this other bad stuff is a real "bummer" to put it mildly!

Little Miss MA :yappy: VD/PW :cheers:

Keith Webb 21-01-05 06:34

Busted rib, eh?

Not a frying pan accident I hope!
Geoff's rib is about your reach isn't it?

To be serious, I hope you recover quickly, Geoff.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 21-01-05 07:20

Keefy... what you DON'T know is how I busted the sumbitch... but then again, if I told you I WOULD get the frying pan... :eek:

Tony Smith 21-01-05 09:57

Pray, do tell. Invalids are exempt from fry-pan strikes, now's your chance. Once you've healed up you're fair game! I'll refrain from any attempts at humour. Laughter is the best medicine, except in the cases of broken ribs, hernias and dysentry.

Vets Dottir 21-01-05 18:04

Re: Busted rib, eh?

Quote:

Originally posted by Keith Webb
Not a frying pan accident I hope!
Geoff's rib is about your reach isn't it?

Hmmm ... correct, NOT a frying pan accident :D

MA :yappy: :p

Snowtractor 21-01-05 18:10

Hmmm, now how did that go...

...Ah yes...ahem, " There is no fool like ...." lol:cheers:

And stay off that rib.
Sean

Vets Dottir 21-01-05 18:12

Quote:

Originally posted by Tony Smith
Pray, do tell. Invalids are exempt from fry-pan strikes, now's your chance. Once you've healed up you're fair game! I'll refrain from any attempts at humour. Laughter is the best medicine, except in the cases of broken ribs, hernias and dysentry.
Correct ... invalids are exempt from frying pan strikes ... but not from me goin on strike until he's fair game again :D But I won't ... er, at least not yet. Depends. :D

Vets Dottir 21-01-05 18:18

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Keefy... what you DON'T know is how I busted the sumbitch... but then again, if I told you I WOULD get the frying pan... :eek:
Ah, yes, after all this time you know me so well :p

I'll be back shortly with some possible cures for those hiccups ... maybe even some cures for that rib.

:note: Stand by.

Snowtractor 21-01-05 18:19

"Thumbs up...

1 Attachment(s)
...and get well soon ", says Shamus:D

Vets Dottir 21-01-05 18:28

Ain't no cure???

Quote:

http://www.tipsofallsorts.com/hiccup.html

Also known as singultus & diaphragmatic spasm.

. Hiccups occur when a stimulus triggers the nerves
which lowers the diaphragm (the muscle that
separates the lungs from the abdomen), i.e. makes
the diaphragm contract involuntary causing the
person to take in a quick breath of air into the
lungs. The nerves involved here are linked to the
diaphragm.

The air then causes a brief closure of the glottis
(located in the voice box, an opening between the
vocal cords). The closure produces the "hic" sound.

. Most hiccups are harmless & they usually stop
after a few minutes. Chronic hiccups are very rare.
Those that last for months or years are usually
called intractable hiccups.

. The longest hiccup ever known was experienced
by an American pig farmer whose hiccups persisted
from 1922 to 1987.

. Did you know that a fetus can have hiccups? They
actually help strengthen the diaphragm & prepare
the fetus for breathing.

. Most of the methods used to stop hiccups actually
seek to alter the flow of air through the vocal cords
so as to stop hiccuping.

Causes (common hiccups)

. Unknown causes
. Hot & spicy food
. Carbonated drinks
. Nervousness
. Sudden laughter
. Intense emotions
. Fumes
. Cold air or cold water

Causes (intractable hiccups)

. Excessive alcohol consumption
. Pneumonia
. Abdominal surgery
. Asthma
. Stroke
. Liver/kidney problems
. Brain tumor affecting the brain's breathing center
. Indigestion
. Side effects from certain medication
(e.g. muscle relaxants)

Home remedies
[Remedies to stop rhythmic hiccups, see which are
the ones that work for you]

. Bend over the waist & drink a glass of water in
that bending position.

. Munch ginger.

. Eat crushed ice.

. Drink water quickly.

. Suck on slices of fresh lemon.

. Swallow a teaspoon of vinegar.

. Gargle with cider vinegar.

. Hold breath for as long as possible.

. Ask someone to give you a fright.

. Bring a paper bag close to the mouth then blow
into it & breathe in the air from the bag.

. Cover each ear with your fingers & press gently
for a few minutes.

. Squeeze lemon juice to the back of the throat.

. Hold on to a small glass (4-ounce) of water &
place your mouth to the opposite side of the glass
that one would normally drink from. Bend slightly
while taking a sip.

. Drink canned pineapple juice immediately after the
can has been opened.

tips

. I've found that taking a deep breath & holding it,
then drinking a glass of water while holding your
breath, cures the hiccups every time. ...

. A while back I had really bad hiccups at a friend's
house. She told me to swallow peanut butter. After
I did that the hiccups were instantly gone! I only
had to take 2 spoonful. I've used it ever since & its
always gotten rid of them. ...

. What I have found to work for me & my friends, is
to first exhale most of the air in the lungs. THEN do
you hold your breath. Some people might need to
pinch their noses to prevent air from entering. Hold
for about 10-15 seconds. Then hiccups should not
continue. This technique has worked for me for
quite a long time & it has worked for all whom I
know too. ...

. I found that if I have hiccups, I would get a glass
of water & start drinking 7 gulps of water
continuously & that will stop the hiccups.

. Pull hair hard from the top of the head for a
minute. ...

. Fill a tea cup with cold water until 2/3 full & place
an inverted teaspoon inside (i.e. the h&le in the
cup) & drink normally. You'll be concentrating so
hard on the spoon not falling off the cup that it
cures your hiccups. ...

. Swallow a teaspoon of sugar & then drink water.

. Hold your nose, plug your ears & drink water thru
a straw for 20 seconds. ...

. Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter.

. Hold your breath for 30 seconds, take some
water, bend over as if you're touching your toes &
swallow it. ...

. At the peak of the hiccup (at the hic, before the
cup) contract your stomach muscles like you would
to burp. Sometimes it takes a burp or two.

. I have used this method for 45 years. It ALWAYS
works. A hiccup is the result of a spasm of the
diaphram so the cure is to immobilize the diaphram.
This is done by taking a deep breath & holding it
(this puts pressure on the top of the diaphram) & at
the same time squeezing the stomach muscles as
hard as possible (this puts pressure on the bottom
of the diaphram). Hold as long as possible. Repeat
if necessary. It is most unusual for this to require
more than 2-3 repeats. ...

. While in high school 25+ years ago, a fellow
student started the hiccups in Psycholgy class. They
were very loud & disruptive. The teacher called her
to the front, whispered something in her ear & she
returned to her desk. No more hiccups. So naturally
we all wanted to know what was whispered in her
ear to cease her hiccups so quickly. The teacher
had told her to return to her desk & think about the
ugliest person she had ever seen! That was it! I
have used this for over 25 years even with medical
personnel & it has not failed yet.
:cheers: :D

Vets Dottir 21-01-05 18:38

Re: "Thumbs up...

Quote:

Originally posted by Snowtractor
Well Sean ... that wee bittie SHAMUS face totally melted me wee bittie heart ... what a sweetheart ... ah :) He's looking great! and am sure this photo will give Sunray a big perk today when he sees it!

Vets Dottir 21-01-05 18:42

PS

Quote:

Originally posted by Snowtractor
and by the way ... that looks like a SHAMUS "put up yore dukes" pose fer sure. Feisty little guy isn't he? :D

Snowtractor 21-01-05 21:36

Poppa Geoff

Shamus is just trying to figure out if that fist is his hand or not. It is really funny watching him when he visually locks on to something and tries to figure it out, like his feet when he is being changed.
No grampa's or grandma's or aunts or uncles around here for the little guy so Geoff needs to stop by and regale him with tales of awe and wonder. Being methanol fueled I should be able to get ten stories to the gallon from him at least...and at the end they can both lay on floor staring at their hands.;)
Sean

Richard Notton 21-01-05 21:55

Re: Sunrays Sore Ribs

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hello Fellow MLU-ers ...

Poor Master Sunray is feeling poorly with a possible cracked rib or some such (for DAYS now) ... he also keeps getting hiccups that drive him crazy.

Please join me in wishing him a speedy recovery from the sore rib syndrome.... and offer up your remedies (centuries old remedies are fine, like in the days before paper bags) to stop hiccups before the "hic" ... they're harsh on the ribs :(

Less/no pop.
Quote:

Oh yes ... another extremely maddening problem, spam spam spam virus adware etc ... pray he gets 'em all out of his computer as it's been infected badly :(
Ad-Aware SE 6.1 personal - get it free from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoftusa.com keeps mine clean and cured the mutating by the second otherwise irremoveable "Home Search Assistent" (yes that's how they spell it). Removes all the data miners and trackers too. Free regular updates as well.

I also loaded Google's toolbar for the pop-up blocker as these often have malicious and malware codes, plus Spysweeper which stops anything writing to your IE favourites.

Also note you need to find out how to totally disable MS Messenger, its a part of the windows suite and even if unused runs in the background and doesn't know if its accessed by a genuine instant message or some bit of malware.

R.

Hanno Spoelstra 21-01-05 22:42

Re: Ain't no cure???

Quote:

Most hiccups are harmless & they usually stop after a few minutes. Chronic hiccups are very rare. Those that last for months or years are usually called intractable hiccups.
I had one of those, it lasted the best part of a week. It is very, very tiring, both mentally and physically. Especially when friends constantly makes jokes about it :mad:
Imagine not being able to fall asleep due to the constant hiccups. When you finally fall asleep and wake up again, you think: it's over? it's over! and then the hiccups starts again...
When I went to my uncle who was a doctor and asked him to end my misery, a simple pill was enough.

Speedy recovery, Sunray! When you can stand to laugh again I'd love to hear the story how you busted that rib :rolleyes:

H.

Mark W. Tonner 21-01-05 22:43

1 Attachment(s)
MA :yappy: SENT ME THE PICTURE BELOW AND ASKED ME TO POST IT FOR HER, SO ON MA's BEHALF, HERES THE PICTURE:

:D

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 22-01-05 00:17

Re: Re: Ain't no cure???

Quote:

Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Speedy recovery, Sunray! When you can stand to laugh again I'd love to hear the story how you busted that rib :rolleyes:
If I do that I stand to be hurt a great deal more than I am now... suffice to say only that it was REALLY stupid... :D

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 22-01-05 00:21

Re: Re: Re: Ain't no cure???

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
... suffice to say only that it was REALLY stupid... :D
Correct ... it was abso-bluddy-lutely stooooooopid :cheers: :D :p

(oooopsy says Karmen .... almost as stupid as me MA :yappy: posting as Geoff :rolleyes: and sigh...)

Vets Dottir 22-01-05 00:52

Okay okay

Sorry about that last post folks, forgot I was reading the post through Geoff's login and right after he showed me what he wrote I responded ...

MARK ... Thank-you for resizing and posting the hiccups elixer ad :cheers:

:confused: MA :yappy:

Bill Murray 22-01-05 01:47

The risque possibilities here are truly endless.

I can't comment to the hiccups but the rib problem is fascinating. Was Geoff trying to emulate John Holmes activities from the film "Behind the Green Door?. Was he trying to make things easier for Karmen by carrying and stacking his own book collection? Did he grab a bottle of wine from the fridge so quickly that it smacked his rib? (I have done that by the way).

Actually, coming back to the hiccups, I think I read somewhere that certain forms of "athletic" activity can lead to that affliction.
I'll have to do another Google Search to make sure, will do that a bit later.

Come on Geoff, "fess up".
Bill

Bill Murray 22-01-05 13:35

On a more serious note.
I too became totally inundated with unwanted ads and pop-ups which reached a critical stage two days ago. Hundreds per hour.

Based on advice from another forum, I downloaded Ad-Aware and it really works. It searched about 150,000 objects and found about 1100 bad guys. Have had no problems since then.

I also hired the IT manager from my Accounting firm who moonlights on weekends, to come to the house today and completely "tune" all the PCs we have here at the house. Based on talking to some of her previous clients, she is a real wizard and not only installs what you need to eleminate spam and ads but also goes through the whole operating system and gets rid of un-needed stuff, generally cleans up and organizes the hard drive and so on. All said their PCs were very much faster after the tune up. Her husband installs business networks and he will arrive this afternoon to set up all of my stuff on wireless networking, set up file sharing and printer sharing and all that good stuff. If this all turns out well, I will have for the first time ever a properly set up system after some 13, 14 years of trying to do it myself.

Do try the Ad-Aware, Geoff, it works.
Bill

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 22-01-05 15:17

I have indeed been running Adaware AND Spybot (the latter catches some stuff Adaware doesn't, use it too)... but this morning downloaded ZoneAlarm Suite and detected two viruses which I think have been flooding me with spyware. The machine seems to be clean now, and is running much faster, and ZoneAlarm proper can block access to the internet from programs such as spyware trying to use your connection to track your browsing etc.

What a pain in the ass though!

The rib is slowly getting better too... :D ... just gotta remember not to... oh, never mind... :)

Vets Dottir 22-01-05 16:41

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Murray
The risque possibilities here are truly endless.
Havin' fun with this aren't you Master Buddy-Bill? :p

I kind of like listening to all the possibilities you-all come up with as to how the Master Sunray came about having wounded rib. Keep them coming, I'm highly entertained and it takes my mind off my own pain :D

Garry Shipton (RIP) 22-01-05 20:01

Karmen,I was just thinking about the ribs!

Quote:

Havin' fun with this aren't you Master Buddy-Bill? :p

I kind of like listening to all the possibilities you-all come up with as to how the Master Sunray came about having wounded rib. Keep them coming, I'm highly entertained and it takes my mind off my own pain :D

Sometimes,when you're staggering out of the Brewers' Retail with a couple of full 24's, the top and bottom inner corners,what with the weight of the BEER,can have a tendency to put an enormous amount of pressure on the rib cage.But,there again,if its snowy and slippery and you lose your balance,i.e. falling earthward,the instincts kick in,and in a nanoo second,before you hit the ground,the mind kicks in and says to you,"Save the beer a--hole".Therein thinking this way,the mind does not adjust to the fact that all this weight will affect the ribs,albeit,without wasting a drop of suds.Soo,by the time you crawl home you feel proud as a lifesaver,not thinking that you've broken some ribs whick,again only kicks in when 1)you try to sate your thirst by uncorking a beer cap 2)Try to put that cold brew to your lips.
Ergo,boy do I feel foolish.

Jon Skagfeld 22-01-05 20:47

Hey, Sunray...glad this affliction didn't happen during your recent visit here...(or did you do it when I told you the Latin joke?)

As a solution, wouldn't a visit to a walk-in clinic and subsequent bone density scan have some merit...as already suggested by your gracious hostess?

As an aside, you know full well between which words in your Funk & Wagnall's lies the word "sympathy".

You let it slip out during your visit...I ain't telling...'til we discuss extortion renumeration!:D :cheers: :salute:

Vets Dottir 22-01-05 21:18

Re: Karmen,I was just thinking about the ribs!

Quote:

Originally posted by Garry Shipton
.... "Save the beer a--hole".

Ergo,boy do I feel foolish.

Experience is a fine old :teach: indeed, eh? :D

Woof and Arf.

Vets Dottir 22-01-05 21:21

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Hey, Sunray...glad this affliction didn't happen during your recent visit here...(or did you do it when I told you the Latin joke?)
I don't recall hearing the Latin joke ... and I know the Sunray didn't bust-a-rib doing snow removal from your driveway :D

Please, Master Skag-Man ... do say a fine hello to your fine Missus Skag-Woman hostess with the mostest from me ;)

Karmen

Bill Murray 22-01-05 22:22

Geoff:

I will skip the rib thingie for this post.

The lady I mentioned was here from 0900 till 1500 and tuned up 3 of our 4 PCs. The one I am using now was the worst by far and she spent 2/3 of that time on the one unit. It had not been touched since I purchased it some 18 months ago, I am notorious for not downloading patches, updates etc. and it was infected like you would not believe. She got rid of thousands, yes thousands of nasties. It was a wonder the bloody thing worked at all.

In addition to the programs you mentioned, she also installed PopupBegone and SpywareBegone. As well, she set me up on Mozilla Firefox as an alternative to MSN which is quick as hell and apparently not hacked anywhere near as much as MSN.

Only problem we had is Firefox has a utility to import all of one's bookmarks/favorites from MSN to Firefox and it failed in my case but in so doing knocked out every single user name and password I have for over 300 websites. Gonna be a while to reconstruct that I guess.

Now all I have to do is run, religiously, the utilities for the 4/5 spam/ad blocker software programs once a week and I should be OK. Also, she did a pretty powerful firewall install and got my Norton Anti Virus completely up to date.

Hope your systems are OK for now too.
Sorry, cannot resist, when are you going to tell us the story about the rib?
Bill

Vets Dottir 23-01-05 06:16

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Murray
Geoff:

I will skip the rib thingie for this post.

Sorry, cannot resist, when are you going to tell us the story about the rib?
Bill

I think that some things are best left at "keep them guessing"? (at least for now?) Makes it more fun don't you think?

Meanwhile ... I will give you all just a little hint ... it happened like .... this:

... on second thought, no I won't :devil: :p :D

MA :yappy:

Keith Webb 23-01-05 10:48

What you need...

1 Attachment(s)
...is some good Scottish thistle remedy.

I took this picture about 15 minutes ago.