MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   CFR Request Thread (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14402)

Keith Macdonald 12-05-18 02:23

Thanks Ed.

Josh Mordarski 25-05-18 07:25

Hi all,

Just purchased an Iltis today, making my (arguably insane) decade-old dream come true. I'm hoping I can learn a little more of the history of my new truck.

CFR 85-87240

It's got 12 RBC stenciled on the tarp, and 728 COMM SQN on two of the doors. I know 12 RBC is based out of Valcatraz and Trois Rivieres, and 728 Comm Sqn (now 37 Signals Regiment) is based out of Newfoundland & Labrador, and New Brunswick, but those could have come from anywhere. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Ed Storey 25-05-18 16:13

Iltis 87240

Your Iltis was sold out of Valcartier in Aug 2005.

Josh Mordarski 25-05-18 17:11

Thanks Ed! Any chance there is more info? As it was sold out of CFB Valcartier, I'm guessing it may have in fact been homed at some point with 12 RBC?

Also, a friend purchased an Iltis and M101 trailer at auction last year, I'm hoping you might have some good info for him too?

CFR 86628 (Iltis)
CFR 0329 (Trailer)

Thanks again!

Ed Storey 25-05-18 19:42

Iltis Details

I did not record the full unit history for every Iltis on CF inventory, but it could well have been used by 12RBC.

86628 was also sold out of Valcartier at the same time as yours and M101CDN2 0329 was CFR 16726 and was disposed out of Land Force Western Area Training Centre - Wainwright in January 2004.

Josh Mordarski 25-05-18 19:46

Awesome! Thanks again Ed! :D

Pascal Lavoie 20-06-18 17:25

Looking for info about a M38A1

Hi, I'm looking about information on a strange looking M38A1. The seller said that it came like this from the army and it was not customized.
I'm still figure out how to post pics.

The nameplate read: Ordonnance 2230 delivered 12 30 52 model M38A1cnd contract demand lv 600 army
Serial number is something -200064

There is also a number on the dashboard: 5332210.

Can you tell me more about it? I'm new in the hobby. Does it worth something?

The engine is stuck and not in it right now.

Ed Storey 20-06-18 21:31

M38a1cdn

Your M38A1CDN is strange looking because it was modified to mount the M40A1 Recoilless Rifle.

Pascal Lavoie 21-06-18 03:36

1 Attachment(s)
Not really for a gun...

rob love 21-06-18 04:26

That is a parade and ceremonial Jeep. Back then they were known as vice-regal if I recall correctly. There is a similar one at 202 workshop.

maple_leaf_eh 21-06-18 05:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal Lavoie (Post 251285)
Not really for a gun...

Only a dozen or so were ever ordered. Small numbers compared to the rest of the contracts. As mentioned, they were kept aside for ceremonial purposes so the General or royalty could be moved around a large parade square quickly and with dignity. They were kept very clean and under cover, getting very little use except practises and test drives. Send pictures of the back end please.

rob love 21-06-18 06:35

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a link to the post where the 202 workshop ceremonial Jeep is shown. Looks like the exact same pattern.

There was a story about the history of these Jeeps in one of the old EME digests from the 80s. Some of them were converted from Jeeps that were write-offs. The pattern of the ceremonial Jeep changed in the 70s.

Frank v R 21-06-18 14:41

jeep

needs to be restored just as it is , very rare vehicle, looks like it may be out of Gagetown, you will need to start your search for the in service photos, I have seen some of them when this vehicle was for sale in NB a few years ago , take good care of it, I only know of the two , this one and the one at 202,

rob love 21-06-18 17:38

Frank
I believe there was also an M38 done up for the queen's visit. If I recall it also had the high pulpit in the back, but may have been a little "louder".

Craig S. 19-08-18 15:00

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank v R (Post 251302)
needs to be restored just as it is , very rare vehicle, looks like it may be out of Gagetown, you will need to start your search for the in service photos, I have seen some of them when this vehicle was for sale in NB a few years ago , take good care of it, I only know of the two , this one and the one at 202,

For some reason I have a couple pics of the one from Gagetown back in the day. CFR 32210 looks to be the one Frank v R is referring to. Wrench the motor back in, paint on some white walls, douse a rag in diesel to buff the paint, throw on your favorite sport coat with accoutrements and have a parade.

Ed Storey 19-08-18 15:23

M38A1CDN Ceremonial

The vehicle in those Gagetown photographs was one of at least five ECC 121116 M38A1CDNs modified to ceremonial vehicles.

As well there were at least four ECC 121315 M38A1CDN3s modified as vice regal vehicles.

The question is, who did the coachwork on these Jeeps?

Kolten Hooper 22-08-18 02:26

M38a1 cfr

Hi, I own a 1970 M38A1 CDN3 with the CFR 70-08892. Most of the EDR info for the jeep has been overwritten by that of another vehicle so I was going to do a "freedom of information" request to see what else the government still has on file for this vehicle but figured I'd first check here to see if anyone can share any info... Ed? Others? Thank-you!

Ed Storey 22-08-18 03:20

M38a1cdn3 08892

Your M38A1CDN3 was disposed of out of CFB Toronto in August, 1998.

Kolten Hooper 23-08-18 05:27

Thanks Ed but that can't be right... all of the info I have gathered soo far indicates disposal out of Toronto in 1986 which lines up with the ownership dates in my vehicle info package from MTO.

Ed Storey 23-08-18 12:10

M38a1cdn3 08892

Finger issues on my part, should have been 1988; but there could have been an error when the date was input into the system so go with 1986 as per the MTO.

This just shows that even with primary source data there can be errors.

rob love 23-08-18 14:11

Often it seems to be a case of tidying up the paperwork some time after the actual disposal. I'm pretty sure I saw a 1986 date on that one when I looked it up along with the paperwork date of 88.

rick25 09-09-18 22:17

Could you kindly post any information you can locate on 1967 M38A1CDN2 cfr# 67-07990 ? Thanks

markcos 05-10-18 23:03

Hey
I’m doing a motor pool resto on a m37 for a friend
And there’s just something about it that seems interesting
the door # is. 54-42877
it Evan has a custom canvas top And front hood metal work that was
Done to it when it was still in service , original paint on /with these mods
I will try and post a pic

Ken Smith 19-10-18 05:43

M216 CDN Dump Truck.

Good day,
I have owned this truck for about 15 years cab chassis only, the registration # is 54-56169 I was wondering if there is some record somewhere of its history.
There is a white hollow square on each door under the registration number. The borders of the square are about 3/4" thick and is about 8" square.
There is a lot of things on the very damaged hood, one is a Maple Leaf.
Ken

Jacques Rioux 22-10-18 22:21

CFR Question on addtional information

I did do the access to information request for my Iltis and did receive a reply. But apart from dates and where my Iltis was assigned, mainly 55 Med out of Quebec City. There are no real information to any repairs or work done to it. I am curious is there a way to get more details on any repair work that was done to it? It seems that it was repaired, especially in the rear quarter. It could have been done post release but I suspect it was done before release because of the quality of the work.
If it helps here is my CFR
B102-03-86-88113
Any help would be appreciated
Thx

Robin Ross 18-12-18 02:00

Hunting for information related to an Ex Canadian Ferret

Hello All, I have recently purchased an Ex Canadian Ferret to restore. I was wondering if anyone on the thread can provide any more detail on the history. I have reached out to Colon Stevens and he does not have much on the vehicle. The Hull Number is 329.B.3.4 Based on Colon's information it looks like the CFR was 54-82565. According to Colin's records, the vehicle was disposed of from Valcartier and the Crown Asset Disposal number/order appears to have been CADCI 50798 dated April 81. Based on this information, I believe the vehicle may have been deployed with 12 RBC, or one of the associated militia units in the region. I would appreciate any additional information or possible sources I could tap to find out more about the vehicle. Thanks, Robin

maple_leaf_eh 19-12-18 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Ross (Post 256535)
Hello All, I have recently purchased an Ex Canadian Ferret to restore. I was wondering if anyone on the thread can provide any more detail on the history. I have reached out to Colon Stevens and he does not have much on the vehicle. The Hull Number is 329.B.3.4 Based on Colon's information it looks like the CFR was 54-82565. According to Colin's records, the vehicle was disposed of from Valcartier and the Crown Asset Disposal number/order appears to have been CADCI 50798 dated April 81. Based on this information, I believe the vehicle may have been deployed with 12 RBC, or one of the associated militia units in the region. I would appreciate any additional information or possible sources I could tap to find out more about the vehicle. Thanks, Robin

Anecdotally, I can tell you the Reserves in Quebec were not issued Ferrets. My unit, the Sherbrooke Hussars, had no armour between the retirement of the Shermans in the early 1960s until the Cougars in early 1980s. The 12eRBC had Lynxes and Ferrets - and didn't share except on course in Valcartier. The Reserves were expected to use Jeeps. There is a 12eRBC Facebook page, and someone there might recognize their old callsign by the CFR.

rob love 19-12-18 13:59

I was with the FGH, and it was the same deal. We had M38A1 jeeps for the fighting troops, and 3 or 4 M151A2s for the officers. However, our supporting unit, the LDSH,did occasionally loan armour to the unit for familiarization training. I recall seeing a pair of ferrets in the compound around 1977, and after I left the unit to join the regular force, the LDSH sent a Lynx out in the early 80s.

I recovered a ferret off the target ranges of Shilo that, underneath the first layer of paint, had SaskD markings, so it looks like they also got loans of armour from the LDSH.

Robin Ross 20-12-18 03:06

Hi Terry, Thanks for the information. I have reached out to 12 RBC; I have yet to hear back as of yet. I contacted the Canadian War Museum and they sent me to the National Archives; I have a query into them and waiting on a response. I will check the 12RBC Facebook page and see if anything turns up on that front.

When in doubt, rush of wildly in all directions...

maple_leaf_eh 20-12-18 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Ross (Post 256581)
Hi Terry, Thanks for the information. I have reached out to 12 RBC; I have yet to hear back as of yet. I contacted the Canadian War Museum and they sent me to the National Archives; I have a query into them and waiting on a response. I will check the 12RBC Facebook page and see if anything turns up on that front.

When in doubt, rush of wildly in all directions...

Don't expect much from the 12eRBC unit of 2018/19. None of those guys were around when the Ferrets were in service; probably not even born for many of them. But, the regiments all have an old comrades association, sort of a mafia, that support each other and various activities. The FB page is going to catch a similar slice of the personalities, only these ones are willing to be on social media.