MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Carrier gearbox Q+A’s (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33590)

RichardT10829 04-08-22 22:41

Carrier gearbox Q+A’s

Ok folks, I have a gearbox to rebuild for the current carrier, I have purchased a complete set of new bearings and gaskets from O’niells Vintage Ford here in the UK and I have sourced a NOS reverse gear cluster to replace the very chewed up one that I had…happy days….just the rear pinion seal to locate next !!

Today when test assembling the box I noticed the main gear cluster shaft is tight in the box, when it is tapped home (ie located into the hole under the clutch lever) it prevents the cluster gear from spinning it locks up the cluster solid ?! If
I pull the cluster out of the box then place the shaft into the cluster it is perfectly fine ?

The holes in the box are cleaned and there is no signs of any damage.

I pulled the shaft and checked it was straight with a straight edge which it was…. I am stumped !!

Has anyone encountered this issue before ?

Lynn Eades 05-08-22 06:40

Richie the shaft is a bigger dia. at the end to tighten it up as it arrives home. I'm wondering. Does your gbox have thrust washers at each end of the cluster, or just one? (or none?) If it has two, try assembling it without the front one? See what happens now? Try tapping the shaft back, so that it is against the location plate. In 1963 the Eng. Ford industrial engines (equiped with manual 4 speed) had two thrusts, both the same part number. Does that help at all?

RichardT10829 06-08-22 05:56

Cheers Lynn I will have a look, I noticed on the exploded diagram there are cross cut bronze thrust shims, yet on mine there are none (and no space to fit them)

Lynn Eades 06-08-22 08:39

The Dodge 4 speed crash box has no thrusts, but some Ford boxes do. They share the Cluster, reverse idler, The gears on the main shaft and sometimes the main shaft (not with the carrier though) the input (spigot shaft) is not shared. The selector forks and shafts are common as well. I'm not familiar with the genealogy, but I know the Dodge was New Process, I guess Ford did their own thing, and I believe Clarke used / made these gear boxes in manual forklifts of the era. Maybe the Ford counter shaft (cluster) pin needs relieving at the end or grinding at the locating slot to let it sit that little bit further back? There cant be much in it. Is you pin a replacement?

RichardT10829 06-08-22 21:16

No the pin is original as is the cluster. I put the worn original needle bearings back in with the same issue. I will do some more investigating.

Lynn Eades 07-08-22 11:41

Now you're making it difficult.:ergh:

RichardT10829 08-08-22 16:38

Located my DTI gauge and put the shaft in the chuck of my lathe… it’s bent :(

Looks like I need to find another cluster gear shaft.

Lynn Eades 08-08-22 21:38

O'neill Vintage Ford list 5 of them @ 22.95 incl. VAT under part number B-7111
The carrier part number in the 1941 parts book is 51-7111. It might pay to check it is the correct one.
I find it hard to imagine how it would get bent?