MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   For Sale: Sentinel: the tank that almost was (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34008)

Mike Cecil 16-02-23 17:27

Sentinel: the tank that almost was

Available soon from Trackpad Publishing .... for those with an interest in AFVs in general and the unusual in particular.

Mike (the author)

Mike Cecil 16-02-23 19:32

Trackpad website link

Link to Trackpad website where you can get a glimpse of the contents.

https://www.trackpadpublishing.com/sentinel

Mike

Hanno Spoelstra 18-02-23 08:36

1 Attachment(s)
That sounds like an interesting read! I’ll have to wait till it hits the distributors here on mainland Europe.

Quote:

Trackpad Publishing
Australian Cruiser Tank - Sentinel by Michael K Cecil
https://www.trackpadpublishing.com/sentinel
To be published second half of March - date to be confirmed.
AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDERING NOW at the link above. ORDERS ARE VERY WELCOME!
The Australian Cruiser tank project was an audacious venture for a country with limited heavy industrial capacity – and no experience in the design or manufacture of a modern cruiser tank.
The genesis of the project was a technical intelligence report prepared in mid-1939 by Major Ronald Hopkins about the strength of the Imperial Japanese Army’s tank force. The report was so alarming that the Chief of the General Staff called for the design and construction of a light cruiser tank to combat a possible Japanese invasion of the Australian mainland. Initial design work was commenced by Army design staff in late 1939, but with the creation of the Department of Munitions in mid-1940, the responsibility for tank manufacture passed to that department. From there, the project brought together a consortium of Munitions, Army and private industry which together developed the Australian Cruiser tank, with the Mark 1 version called the ‘Sentinel’.
It was not without its problems, a project hampered by constant changes in specification and fraught with overly optimistic delivery estimates, rivalries that were both inter-departmental and personal, questionable management decisions, and a total dependence on the supply of vital components from the USA.
Conversely, there was also remarkable innovation and ingenuity. An unconventional formula for Nickel-free cast armour and the hull cast as a single piece were world-firsts, as was the mounting of a 25-pdr main armament, followed soon after by the formidable 17-pdr tank gun.
However, by July 1943, with more tanks having arrived from overseas than the Army needed, and with little prospect of the delivery of combat-ready tanks from local production any time soon, the Australian Government decided in principle to the cessation of the Australian tank programme, making the final decision to terminate in February 1944. Despite the enormous resources devoted to the project, only 65 AC1 Sentinel tanks were ever manufactured.
The tank that almost was.
A4, portrait, 244 pages, approximately 480 photographs. Hardback

Attachment 132864

Philliphastings 18-02-23 12:32

Looks good

Should be a great read...

My birthday is coming up too

Cheers

Phill

Mike Cecil 13-03-23 18:50

Available from Trackpad now!

Michael Shackleton at Trackpad tells me that he now has the books in stock, and is in the process of fulfilling orders.

https://www.trackpadpublishing.com/s...ea2yXls91XK2ow

Mike

Tony Smith 14-03-23 03:27

And Australian buyers should contact Ronnel Hobbies as local distributor:

https://ronnelshobbies.com.au/

Mike Cecil 14-03-23 03:48

Plenty of options ...

Prospective purchasers can choose to buy direct from Trackpad in the UK or from Ronnel Hobbies or Platypus Publications in Aust.

Mike

Hanno Spoelstra 14-03-23 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 291320)
Prospective purchasers can choose to buy direct from Trackpad in the UK or from Ronnel Hobbies or Platypus Publications in Aust.

Any distributors in the EU that you are aware of?

Jakko Westerbeke 14-03-23 12:05

Trackpad’s web site says that Jan-Willem de Boer is their Netherlands distributor. TBH, I didn’t even know he was still in the model/references business … His web site has nothing but a link to send him an e-mail, so who knows? Can’t hurt to ask, of course.

Alternatively, wait until Modellbau König gets it in stock?

Hanno Spoelstra 14-03-23 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakko Westerbeke (Post 291323)
Alternatively, wait until Modellbau König gets it in stock?

Thanks, that's a good tip - I've bought from them before. I'll way for the slowboat to arrive in Germany.

Mike Cecil 14-03-23 18:13

Countries other than UK and Oz ...

Hanno, my post was in response to Tony's, to let prospective Aust buyers know their options. You would have to obtain a list of retailers in other countries from Trackpad.

I'll look forward to the comments from readers: that is the ultimate test of how well (or not!) I've handled the subject.

Mike

tankbarrell 14-03-23 19:26

My copy arrived at the end of last week and whilst I have yet to read it, there is a lot to go through, a first look is very impressive. No surprise there, I bought Mikes book on the 25 pdr in Australian service last year and was very pleased with the broad coverage and level of detail, Sentinel has received the same in depth treatment.

Some fantastic photos and comprehensive information covering all elements from concept to survivors should satisfy anybody with an interest in armoured vehicle history. Perhaps the most surprising part was finding my name in the acknowledgements!

A fantastic history of a most impressive tank with enough detail to satisfy a rivet counter such as myself....

Well done Mike!

Mike Cecil 25-03-23 17:18

Nice Review of Sentinel ...

1 Attachment(s)
First published review I've seen, and he is quite complimentary.

Mike Cecil 25-03-23 17:47

No surprise ...

Adrian,

Thank you for the positive comments. I hope you are enjoying reading it. There should have been no surprise that you were acknowledged ... you were very generous in answering my questions on the 17-pdr in the Firefly which helped in my understanding of the connection between the earlier 17-pdr mounting in the Aust Cruiser tank and the later British development that resulted in the Firefly. Always try and give credit where credit is due. :cheers:
Mike

Richard Farrant 25-03-23 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 291473)
First published review I've seen, and he is quite complimentary.

Well done Mike. A very good review.

Mike Cecil 25-03-23 20:42

Thanks Richard. Mike

Dave Mills 27-03-23 23:43

Hello Mike, received your book yesterday and what a great read. As one of the privileged restorers at the Tank museum Puckapunyal working on our Sentinel for the last 2 years, your publication makes perfect sense and is very informative.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave.

Mike Cecil 28-03-23 00:56

Thanks Dave, and you may have noticed you are 'one up' on John and Peter - you got your mug in there twice!! Bragging rights, perhaps?

Mike

Dave Mills 28-03-23 11:14

Yep, bragging indeed but to be fair "Bushy" got honourably mentioned twice also. Have utilized your publication already in identifying locations of attachments to the hull. Just a fabulous resource for we restorers of the Sentinel.

Well done again mate.

Cheers,

Dave.