MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Military Shows & Events (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ballarat Swap Meet (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12480)

Keith Webb 23-02-09 09:18

Ballarat Swap Meet

4 Attachment(s)
Did a LOT of walking around the hundreds of stalls last Friday - absolutely amazing amount of useful stuff there although not a lot of it useful to me.

However, I did find (and bought) this Jerrycan dated 1940. Are there any experts on this subject on MLU?

Keith Webb 23-02-09 09:21

But Euan had an even better day

2 Attachment(s)
He found a CMP toolbox, a Ford CMP radiator, and possibly the find of the day this pair of ultra-rare 10.50-18 tyres on Ford 5 stud rims, from something with a M-H front axle, possibly a Dingo Scout Car. They had been in a nice dark shed for decades and were in almost pristine condition, not even hard.

cliff 23-02-09 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 110080)
Did a LOT of walking around the hundreds of stalls last Friday - absolutely amazing amount of useful stuff there although not a lot of it useful to me.

However, I did find (and bought) this Jerrycan dated 1940. Are there any experts on this subject on MLU?

Keith I think you will find it is an original German Army can which was copied by the British and Americans and nick named 'Jerry' Can as the Germans were the original owners. These copies then replaced the British flimsies.

Keith Webb 23-02-09 11:10

Jerrycan

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 110083)
Keith I think you will find it is an original German Army can which was copied by the British and Americans and nick named 'Jerry' Can as the Germans were the original owners. These copies then replaced the British flimsies.

Yes, apparently there are repros around of the German ones - Have heard the 1940 ones are less common than the 43 dated ones.
No wonder the Brits and Americans (and us) copied them, they were an excellent design.
But the flimsy (as explained at some length elsewhere on the MLU forum) was not the same as the two gallon POL can you'd find on a CMP.

zemsi 23-02-09 12:28

... very nice find. How does a German jerrycan find its way to Aussie? :confused

Here's a good site with a short overview.

And there's even a book about the German Jerrycans, in English/French

http://sdkfz7.free.fr/jerrycan_book.jpg

Keith Webb 23-02-09 19:54

Jerrycan

Quote:

Originally Posted by zemsi (Post 110094)
... very nice find. How does a German jerrycan find its way to Aussie? :confused

Here's a good site with a short overview.

Thanks for the link Chris

If only it could talk... but a possible theory is when our troops came back to Australia with their C60L cab 12s you'd think they would have filled them with all sorts of booty...

cliff 23-02-09 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 110088)
Yes, apparently there are repros around of the German ones - Have heard the 1940 ones are less common than the 43 dated ones.
No wonder the Brits and Americans (and us) copied them, they were an excellent design.
But the flimsy (as explained at some length elsewhere on the MLU forum) was not the same as the two gallon POL can you'd find on a CMP.

yes I realise that the POL cans on CMP trucks was different to the flimsy. But still believe that the 'Jerry' can replaced the flimsy and it was then found to be a conveniance to do away with the POL can as well. After all 20L (4 gallons) got you further then 2 gallons didn't it? LOL :yappy:

lynx42 24-02-09 10:06

Euan,
I don't know if you need those 10.50x18 tyres,
BUT I DO.
I need them for the Ford Marmon-Herrington Scout Dingo Car. Please, Please put my name on them if you don't have a use.
Rick

Lynn Eades 24-02-09 11:00

10.50x18

They will be heavy, I see they are runflats.

Plushy 25-02-09 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 110081)
He found a CMP toolbox, a Ford CMP radiator, and possibly the find of the day this pair of ultra-rare 10.50-18 tyres on Ford 5 stud rims, from something with a M-H front axle, possibly a Dingo Scout Car. They had been in a nice dark shed for decades and were in almost pristine condition, not even hard.

Ketih you didnt happen to be taking that photo on Friday morning around 11:30 ? i reckon i walked right past you and Euan . I didnt stop because i looked at the tyres and dismissed them as not being for a Blitz :doh:

Keith Webb 25-02-09 23:18

Timing is everything

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plushy (Post 110290)
Ketih you didnt happen to be taking that photo on Friday morning around 11:30 ? i reckon i walked right past you and Euan . I didnt stop because i looked at the tyres and dismissed them as not being for a Blitz :doh:

Yep. It was exactly 11:44:45AM. Bet we can't arrange a coincidence like that again in a hurry!

Euan McDonald 27-02-09 03:20

Scrap

Hey Rick, If only you had told me earlier as all I wanted was the rims so I cut the tyres off and dumped them. :doh:

Really I bought them for my folding boat semi trailer that runs 10.50 18's. Your request has been noted.

lynx42 27-02-09 09:34

You BUGGER Euan, nearly got me going then.Lukily I'm a speed reader and saw the second part of your message.
Just remember me for the future.
Have a chat at Corowa. All seems go, now.
I'm looking forward to it more than usual, if that's possible.
Regards Rick.

Euan McDonald 03-03-09 02:34

Wheels

Hey Rick,
While on the subject of wheels are you still looking for the wide wheels for your Chev as Stuart may be interested in a swap? Give me a call if so as I can get them to Corowa.

Jon Skagfeld 14-05-09 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 110080)

Keith, me ol' trout! A propos absolutely nothing to do with this thread, I am reminded of a framed document in my office.

It is from the Ballarat Times, wherein there was recorded a disturbance at the United States Hotel.

Seems like a bloke called Jon Skagfeld was arrested and taken into custody for being drunk & disorderly and disturbing the peace.

Mebbe I was tryin' to warn the populace about the bird eatin' spiders, wandering over from Bowen, eh? Sunray would love that!

Cheers...

Keith Webb 14-05-09 05:24

Ballarat

And probably our border people still have the Skagfeld name on their 'look out for' list.
As for our deadly wildlife I think they scare Jif considerably!
I remember you telling me about this document when we first met... a lonnng time ago now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld (Post 113811)
Keith, me ol' trout! A propos absolutely nothing to do with this thread, I am reminded of a framed document in my office.

It is from the Ballarat Times, wherein there was recorded a disturbance at the United States Hotel.

Seems like a bloke called Jon Skagfeld was arrested and taken into custody for being drunk & disorderly and disturbing the peace.

Mebbe I was tryin' to warn the populace about the bird eatin' spiders, wandering over from Bowen, eh? Sunray would love that!

Cheers...

Darren Abbott 14-05-09 13:59

Dingo wheels and tyres

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rick,
I have a spare set of wheels and tyres that I MAY not have a use for in the future. When I purchased my Dingo, I got two sets. Not promising anything but they may be surplus in the future when the resto is completed?
Attachment 27687
Cheers
Darren

lynx42 27-05-09 11:46

Hi Darren,
Sorry I didn't see your post until today. We are in Singapore at present, fly out tonight for UK and to Normandy. Meeting up with the Convoy and many others at Etreham.

Can I talk to you about your tyres after September? Please send me a PM>
Regards Rick.