MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why bother? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23967)

maple_leaf_eh 15-06-15 17:37

Why bother?

This morning one of the first people I spoke to (outside the house) brought up a previous conversation, and told me I was wasting my time working the Jeep. "Screw it," he says. "Leave it as is. Go do something else." This fellow is seldom positive, so I filter his advice, but it started me week off a down note after what felt like a productive Sunday.

So, why do we bother fixing up our old vehicles?

- I don't own it; I'm just looking after it for the next owner.
- Because it is mine.
- I like how I feel when I work on it.
- I want to return it to original condition and remove the mistakes and modifications others have made.
- It is one of about 24 on the road in Canada.

PS Ed S. will know who I mean when I say 'Hammy'.

chris vickery 15-06-15 17:52

"Why do we bother fixing up our old vehicles?"
Why does someone go golfing? Read? Do carpentry? Collect stamps? Watch sports?
Because it's called a pastime or hobby and we like it, that's why!
Personally, I take a great interest in many aspects of restoring an old vehicle.
The hunt for parts and pieces is fun. Learning about old technology and engineering is an interest. Taking something that is totally messed up and making it new again is satisfying. Preserving historically important artifacts is a service to the public..... :thup2:
Nothing ticks me off more than when people ask "what are you going to do with that old thing?" :fry:

rob love 15-06-15 18:18

Saw this answer once on a TV show where they were interviewing a tank collector in the US. His response: "I could collect beer cans, but who would care."

Gordon Yeo 15-06-15 19:20

Why bother?

Because it's fun. We restore Canadian industrial history. We preserve Canadian military history. We give veterans pleasant recollections from the past. You meet nice people, "Hammy" excluded.

motto 15-06-15 21:58

I am curious to know what the 'something else' is that 'Hammy' may have in mind. What would he consider a more worthwhile pursuit? I look at the huge crowds that attend sporting events and think to myself 'they must have little to do that they can spend time yelling ineffectually at some hired hand who has temporary possession of an air filled bladder'. And they pay money to do it!
Unbelievable!
In my time I've rebuilt a vehicle that carried myself and a companion tens of thousands of kilometres through the Australian outback and eventually from Istanbul to the UK where it now resides. Whilst on Crete we encountered some Norwegians who were awe struck by our adventure and referred to us as Vikings. How good is that? Jam your b****y football!
Meanwhile I'm building a replica Dodge Command Car and do have off days particularly when the weather is bad and the question does arise, 'why bother?'
Why do people climb Everest? I couldn't be bothered but people go to extraordinary lengths to do so. I will finish the Dodge and who knows what adventures lay in store.
Sounds like Hammy hasn't enough brights to understand the human condition. Some people are not worth bothering with.

David

hrpearce 15-06-15 22:09

It's a holiday from my usual work and I don't have to leave home.
It exposes me to a new circle of friends.

Frank v R 15-06-15 23:24

Why

ask him next time why he bothers to breath , tell if he stops there will be more for the rest of the world!

Little Jo 16-06-15 00:50

What right

Hi Guys

I just have to join in with my two cents worth. Why do we do it, well it's because we love it. What right does anyone have to criticise us. When I retired from work I finally had the time to do something that "I wanted to do". I restored my 1942 MB Willys Jeep from the chassis up and found it one of the greatest thrills of my life. It kept me sane and stopped me vegetating into a potato couch as I had seen a lot of my friends become after they retired. One of my biggest regrets was selling my Jeep and I still feel sad when I look into my garage and see it gone and I wonder where it is now. But we move on to do other projects to keep us happy and from under our wives feet. :thup2:

Cheers

Tony :no4:

chris vickery 16-06-15 01:14

I have met many people and have aquaintances and friends all over the world now. I have expanded my knowledge of many things. Meeting people from all walks of life gives one a different view. It is certainly nice to be able to travel and meet up with unknown and known faces. Keeps things interesting.

Yeo.NT 16-06-15 01:46

I think this sums it up pretty easily the next time "Hammy" brings up the subject simple state "If you can't understand it without an explanation, you can't understand it with an explanation.

Scott Bentley 16-06-15 01:57

I know Hammy. Its a small (army) world after all.

Anyway, I think its more to do with his personality than the hobby itself. Rather ironic especially considering some of his shit box mustangs from back in the day.

Then again, people in this hobby are hardly "run of the mill", and don't even get me started on surplus dealers :)

maple_leaf_eh 16-06-15 05:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Bentley (Post 210829)
I know Hammy. Its a small (army) world after all.

Thanks Scott.

Until I got to know him better, I figured he was one of those guys who just knew a lot. After spending more time around him, I've learned that is not necessarily true.

Maybe someone pi##ed in his CornFlakes before I spoke to him?