MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Nazi Lärchebäume im Wald (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8066)

sapper740 10-02-07 02:21

Nazi Lärchebäume im Wald

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody ever hear of this and how it could survive until 2001? The Larch is an conifer tree that turns colour in the Fall. In 1937, in Zernikow about a 110 km. north of Berlin, a local businessman and ardent follower of Adolf Hitler planted a 60 by 60 metre area of Larch trees. The trees were planted in the shape of a Swastika and could only be seen from the air. During Autumn, when the Larch trees changed their colour they stood out in stark contrast against the green forest of surrounding pine trees. Discovered many years after the war, this long-forgotten symbol of the Nazi era was finally removed by cutting down 27 of the 57 trees that made up the Swastika design. This was done in 2001 by the Brandenburg State Forest authorities. Local farmer, Joachim Schultz, remarked "It was quite embarrassing, we were afraid that it would become a pilgrimage site"
Displaying the Swastika symbol is forbidden in Germany today, as is owning a copy of Hitler's book 'Mein Kampf' a copy of which was presented to all newly married couples. Mein Gott!

Kuno 10-02-07 10:58

"The Larch is an Evergreen tree"

...I am not that sure; all of them I have seen are loosing the needles at the end of the year :teach:

Mike Kelly 10-02-07 12:18

German consulate

For many years after the war , the former German consul building in Sydney , Australia , featured swastikas on the paved walkways . The elaborate paving work was on footpaths , or in the foyer maybe .

Mike

Tony Smith 10-02-07 13:51

Mike, the building you are thinking of is actually Customs House (1845) at Circular Quay in Sydney. The Swastikas are the Sanskrit version, "turning" counter-clockwise. They are in tiles on the terazzo floor of the lobby and were laid during a refurbishment during 1918. They are still there, but with signs explaining their background.

RHClarke 10-02-07 16:11

THAT'S NOTHING

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Kelly
For many years after the war , the former German consul building in Sydney , Australia , featured swastikas on the paved walkways . The elaborate paving work was on footpaths , or in the foyer maybe .

Mike

We have a whole town named Swastika:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

I remember as a teen riding my bike out of Kirkland Lake towards Swastika and seeing a rather large sign that stated (words to the effect) "Hitler be damned! We had it first!"

sapper740 10-02-07 17:16

Quote:

Originally posted by Kuno
"The Larch is an Evergreen tree"

...I am not that sure; all of them I have seen are loosing the needles at the end of the year :teach:

You're right, I meant to say "conifer". The Larch is a deciduous tree with needle-like leaves. We have a sub-alpine Larch species that grows on the flanks of the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia where I used to hunt.

Jon Skagfeld 10-02-07 19:40

Quote:

Originally posted by sapper740
You're right, I meant to say "conifer". The Larch is a deciduous tree with needle-like leaves. We have a sub-alpine Larch species that grows on the flanks of the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia where I used to hunt.
The larch is also indigenous to "The Lumberjack Song". :drunk: :yappy: :yappy: :D

sapper740 10-02-07 20:54

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
The larch is also indigenous to "The Lumberjack Song". :drunk: :yappy: :yappy: :D
So Jon, are you........O.K.? :yappy:

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 10-02-07 21:42

Quote:

So Jon, are you........O.K.? :yappy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7RHgdVTCg

A trifle confused perhaps, but then that comes from copious amounts of beer and jumping out of perfecly serviceable aircraft. I should know.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 10-02-07 21:55

And now for something...

...completely silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leEsz9ci5XE&NR

Pete Ashby 11-02-07 00:04

My all time favourite film

Geoff Old Boy

you need to get out more

PTO&G (GM) with Order of the Knights that say Nee

:drunk:

Jordan Baker 11-02-07 00:19

even more of a waste of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOby...elated&search=

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-02-07 00:29

Re: Pete

...or is that properly spelt 'Repeat'... and you thought I was a sick puppy... oh my....

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-02-07 00:35

Just to prove that I AM sicker than Jordan, take this, Mary Queen o' Scots...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVjk...elated&search=

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-02-07 00:37

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Five bonus points to he or she who can identify the latter part of the quote... :D

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-02-07 00:41

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVjk...elated&search=

It gets worse... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKI...elated&search=

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-02-07 03:16

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

The Book Of Armaments... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeJi07O7uQ

Jon Skagfeld 11-02-07 03:59

YouTube

You buggers with high speed net access are irking me somewhat.

I simply cannot download youtube stuff. It took me 37 minutes to download a 30 second clip of ...Zirkus.

That's the only downside of living in the country! :) :) :)

Barry Churcher 11-02-07 16:27

Hey Jon, I agree wholeheartedly! :cheers:
When Janet asked about high speed she was told that someone would get back to her with what "year" it would be available. :bang:
Cheers,
Barry

sapper740 11-02-07 18:15

Natural progression?

O.K., let me see if I can follow the progression of this thread.

Nazi sympathizer plants trees in the forest which leads to a discussion on Tree Phylum which then takes us to Australia where the discussion turns to the Sanskrit good luck symbol and 1918 renovations. We then discuss geographic place names in Ontario, Canada until the discussion abruptly changes to a well known song making fun of Canadian lumberjacks and Mounties. Jefe then takes us on a brief interlude to a video sharing website that Jon can't download 'cause his dial-up modem is slower than Sugar Maple tree sap in January (remember the discussion on tree Phylum?) We then alternate between links of video clips of a '70's science fiction show ('though the protaganist is Canadian) and a British comedy troupe. Interspersed throughout are vague references to imbibing of alcoholic beverages, sexual innuendo, aeronautical sports, and competition to see who is in greater need of psychological counseling. That's what I love about MLU, all the threads are sharp and to the point! :p

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-02-07 18:27

Re: Natural progression?

Quote:

Nazi sympathizer plants trees in the forest which leads to a discussion on Tree Phylum which then takes us to Australia where the discussion turns to the Sanskrit good luck symbol and 1918 renovations. We then discuss geographic place names in Ontario, Canada until the discussion abruptly changes to a well known song making fun of Canadian lumberjacks and Mounties. Jefe then takes us on a brief interlude to a video sharing website that Jon can't download 'cause his dial-up modem is slower than Sugar Maple tree sap in January (remember the discussion on tree Phylum?) We then alternate between links of video clips of a '70's science fiction show ('though the protaganist is Canadian) and a British comedy troupe. Interspersed throughout are vague references to imbibing of alcoholic beverages, sexual innuendo, aeronautical sports, and competition to see who is in greater need of psychological counseling. That's what I love about MLU, all the threads are sharp and to the point! :p

I think you've got it, sweetcheeks, so carry on! :p

In the meantime, I'm off for eggs and back bacon for brunch. See y'all in a bit.

sapper740 11-02-07 18:43

Re: Re: Natural progression?

Quote:

I think you've got it, sweetcheeks, so carry on! :p

Shhhh! Careful Jefe, you're giving away our secret!

Grant Bowker 11-02-07 19:36

Sunray's brunch

At the time you wrote, Bub and Rub were probably dressed in their "Sunday best" perched on their chairs at Chez Marie waiting for you to show up to join them for "snotty eggs and little boys" or "golfers' special minus the french toast". Did you make it in time before they left to go back to the barn?
I know this is off the original topic, but so many others have been too, that I think it's now a case of "so what?".

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-02-07 20:04

Re: Sunray's brunch

Quote:

Originally posted by Grant Bowker
At the time you wrote, Bub and Rub were probably dressed in their "Sunday best" perched on their chairs at Chez Marie ...
I take it Chez Marie lets them in in their underwear... must be damned cold, but what the hell... each to his own I guess.

alleramilitaria 11-02-07 20:32

thats not the only place that trees are planted like that
there is one or two in nurnburg like that. also at many US army posts in germany you can still see the crosses on buildings. the original crosses were normaly chipped by hand off the buildings and can now bee seen as a imprint. also the old army banners are still there. funny thing is in mainz there was a SS radio school, they removed the crosses but lrft the SS banners there.

Jon Skagfeld 12-02-07 02:43

Quote:

Derek: You've left me howling with utter mirth. My wife thinks I've taken the vapours. I have tried to dry my eyes with tissues, but I can't keep up with the copious discharge of lachrymose fluid. (Look that up in yer Funk&Wagnall's).

What a great synopsis of a great thread. Thank you...ROFLMAO!!!!

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 12-02-07 03:21

Quote:

Originally posted by alleramilitaria
thats not the only place that trees are planted like that
there is one or two in nurnburg like that. also at many US army posts in germany you can still see the crosses on buildings. the original crosses were normaly chipped by hand off the buildings and can now bee seen as a imprint. also the old army banners are still there. funny thing is in mainz there was a SS radio school, they removed the crosses but lrft the SS banners there.

And just who gave you permission to bring this thread back on-topic? Eh? Getting a little big for our britches, are we? Bloody Texans, you haven't learnt, have you? Grant's army should have turned right instead of left. Sheesh. The benefits of hindsight. Ah well.

In the meantime, I'm watching The Princess Bride, so piss off for a while... "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!". One of the all-time great movies... :)

Tony Smith 12-02-07 09:06

Quote:

You need to download THREADJACKER2000(tm), Vers 2.3 is the current update. This is normally part of the software downloaded when registering for MLU, but in some installations the Autorun feature doesn't initialise and you will need to manually open the program. Just part of the suite of software that makes MLU so unique!

wim sikkelbein 12-02-07 19:59

swastika building

1 Attachment(s)
At the risk of being expelled from this thread for being on topic
I give you this:
A San Diego base site

alleramilitaria 12-02-07 22:20

ummmm jif......
im from northern indiana, i just moved to texas when the army told me too. :fry: