MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1st Hussars History (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4877)

John McGillivray 06-11-05 15:18

1st Hussars History

I just saw on the McGill Library web site that there is a recently published history of the 1st Hussars by Michael R. McNorgon called “The Gallant Hussars: a history of the 1st Hussards 1856 – 2001”. It is published by the 1st Hussars Cavalry fund in 2004.

Dose anyone have any information about this book. I could just borrow the copy from McGill, however this may be a book that I might be interested in buying. Is it still available, and if so where?

Thank you.

Alex Blair (RIP) 06-11-05 15:46

Re: 1st Hussars History

Quote:

Originally posted by John McGillivray
I just saw on the McGill Library web site that there is a recently published history of the 1st Hussars by Michael R. McNorgon called “The Gallant Hussars: a history of the 1st Hussards 1856 – 2001”. It is published by the 1st Hussars Cavalry fund in 2004.

Dose anyone have any information about this book. I could just borrow the copy from McGill, however this may be a book that I might be interested in buying. Is it still available, and if so where?

Thank you.

John
Listen to the song "The Gallant Hussar"...Catchey tune...Wants to make me prance around my keyboard...
http://www.contemplator.com/england/hussar.html

Mark W. Tonner 06-11-05 19:23

Re: 1st Hussars History

Quote:

Hi John;

This may help, go here:

Cheers :)

John McGillivray 06-11-05 19:49

Thanks Mark,

Do you know if they will accept personal cheques, or will it have to be a money order?
Also should the cheque be made out to the “1st Hussars Kit Shop” or to “1st Hussars Cavalry Fund”?

I’ve found the following review of the book.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/engr...Reviews5_e.pdf

Mark W. Tonner 06-11-05 20:01

Quote:

Do you know if they will accept personal cheques, or will it have to be a money order? Also should the cheque be made out to the “1st Hussars Kit Shop” or to “1st Hussars Cavalry Fund”?
Hi John;

I'll call 1H tomorrow and get the details for you, they are here in the Barracks.

Mark W. Tonner 07-11-05 16:59

Re: Payment

Quote:

Do you know if they will accept personal cheques, or will it have to be a money order?
Also should the cheque be made out to the “1st Hussars Kit Shop” or to “1st Hussars Cavalry Fund”?

Hi John;

Make your cheque or money order out to the 1st Hussars Kit Shop. They take either cheque or money order.

John McGillivray 08-11-05 00:02

Thank you Mark,

I plan on ordering a copy of the book in the next few days.

John

Mark W. Tonner 08-11-05 00:30

Quote:

Thank you Mark,

I plan on ordering a copy of the book in the next few days.

John

Ponysoldier 08-11-05 06:27

????????

Ok pardon me for asking,but it would help me understand
better.What is a Husser?? Cavalry?? I wouldnt ask but I dont
know.
Patrick

Bill Alexander 08-11-05 12:37

Excellent

John, thanks for the heads up on this history. I will also be ordering one.
Ponysoldier, don't know what Hussers are :) , but Hussars were originally a light cavalry. (As opposed to dragoons who are usually heavy cavalry.) If I remember correctly "hussars" originated in central Europe, in the Austro-Hungarian army? The concept and dress of the units impressed the British army and they adopted these types of cavalry units for the imperial army. Canada, as a British colony, used the same term as a designation for many of its light cavalry units. Included in the Canadian army order of battle, but not an exhaustive list, are the 1st Hussars, 8th Hussars, and the Royal Canadian Hussars.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 08-11-05 12:39

Re: Pony

Yes, that's correct. I can't tell you the history of the term, although you could probably find it through Google, but the following is a quote off the Canadian War Museum site giving a brief synopsis of the regiment being discussed here:

Quote:

Founded as an independent cavalry troop in 1856, the 1st Hussars of London, Ontario became a regiment in 1872. This unit supplied officers and men for service in the South African War. During the Great War of 1914 - 1918 it served as a part of the Canadian Light Horse. Mobilized for the Second World War in 1939, it was converted from cavalry to armour in 1940 and was sent overseas in 1941.

The 1st Hussars, as a part of 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, landed at Courseulles-sur-Mer on D-Day. They fought at Le Mesnil-Patry on 11 June and in the battles around Caen in early July. On 7/8 August, they were the follow-up unit to one of the armoured columns in Operation Totalize. During the final attack on Falaise, they were involved in the 'Mad Charge' of Operation Tractable on 14 August.

Following the Normandy campaign, the regiment fought in Belgium, Holland and Germany. The 1st Hussars continue to serve today as an armoured unit in 31 Canadian Brigade Group headquartered in London, Ontario.
http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/armwar/u...ussarseng.html

wayne c. petrie 08-11-05 12:39

1st hussars

In regards to the 1st Hussars, I need any info on a L/cpl Wilfred W. Bowcott, kia - 14 Apr. 1945, Apeldoorn.
I am researching this person for my sisters' sister-in-law.L/cpl Bowcott was her uncle.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Tony Chapman 03-12-05 13:34

:) Morning all
The 1st Hussars manning their DD tanks were carried in to Courseulles sur Mer on the morning of D-Day by the British manned Mk3 LCT's of the 4th Flotilla of K LCT Squadron....their counterparts, the Fort Garry Horse going ashore to the eastwards at Bernieres and St Aubin being carried by the British Mk3 LCT of the 11th Flotilla of N LCT Squadron.

Tony Chapman
Official Archivist/Historian
LST and Landing Craft Association (Royal Navy)