MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wanted: bridge plate (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33127)

BCBlitz 13-11-09 03:04

bridge plate ......

Does anyone, even down under have a original brige plate round sign for a F15A for sale ? :note:

BCBlitz

Maurice Donckers 13-11-09 07:52

Hi , you can easily make one yourself , just cut a round piece out of sheet metal , and dril the four holes in it for attaching , plus 2 in the middle ( this was done so they fitted as well on 11 and 12 cabs . I have an orriginal , and can measure the distance between the holes.

malcolm erik bogaert 13-11-09 11:14

bridge plates

when I was in the Army we sometimes used paint lid from 5 litre tin...painted in yellow and away you go!or you can buy one from Marcus Glen (on milweb) at £8.00GBP brand new in the wrapping paper best regards malcolm

BCBlitz 13-11-09 14:42

Thanks guys for the help, I could make one but If I can get a original would be fine too , Ill chase that first before I make one, I wonder if the ones from Marcus are the same dia as the original CMP one would be ?, anyone have one of there's to measure ?

Ill get back to you when I get or make one.

Thanks again, greetings from Canada ! :salute:

malcolm erik bogaert 13-11-09 20:41

bridge-plate

Terry having had them on the Chev and on more modern vehicles I can confirm they are just the same best regards to al from a stormy north-northumberland malcolm :cheers:

BCBlitz 14-11-09 00:13

Thanks Malcolm for the help .......... :thup2:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 14-11-09 00:39

Not to nit pick...

1 Attachment(s)
...but the bridge class disc that mounts separately (ie. not the one that covers the right headlamp socket on a 13 cab) is stamped and has quite a lip around the outside.

BCBlitz 14-11-09 01:59

Bruce, very nice, not sure of the measurment between holes, Ill have to check that ......... gee I dont supose you have 2 ?? :eek:

If you do please PM me as Ill take one .

LOL

BCBlitz 14-11-09 02:24

Bruce , I have 5" c to c holes on my brackets :)

Dinty 14-11-09 02:49

G'day All, If they are the same size as the types fitted to Land Rovers approx 9" dia, you can buy direct from Marcus Glenn in the UK see link
http://www.marcusglenn.com/catalog/v...hoph=482&phqu= hope thats of some help cheers Dennis :sheep:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 14-11-09 14:18

Disc size

1 Attachment(s)
It's 9" in diameter and the holes are 6" apart (not 5").

What year is your truck? These discs were pretty common on 11 and 12 cabs but only the earliest 13 cabs seemed to have them. By '43 onwards, the yellow bridge class was painted directly on the right headlamp cover or, even later, the flat space between the right headlamp socket and the grille.

Cover and flat space:

BCBlitz 14-11-09 14:49

1 Attachment(s)
morning Bruce :coffee

My truck is a 42 has 2 small brackets below the drivers headlight on the fender lip as in the pic attcahed.

never seen one with no headlight like in your pic .

Bruce Parker (RIP) 14-11-09 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCBlitz (Post 121802)
morning Bruce :coffee

My truck is a 42 has 2 small brackets below the drivers headlight on the fender lip as in the pic attcahed.

never seen one with no headlight like in your pic .

Most (all?) 13 cabs left the factory wired for only one headlamp on the left and a plate covering the right socket. It provided for installing a second headlamp (and removing the blackout hoods) after the war.

Are your two brackets for a licence plate?

BCBlitz 14-11-09 15:20

I has assumed they were for the plate .......... I have another front cab clip and it has the same ones in the same place.

cmperry4 16-11-09 05:20

Bridge plate

I got one of the spiffy new ones with the beaded edge for my Land Rover via eBay, but for the WW2-era, the pattern I have is simply a flat round piece, with the appropriate holes for mounting, etc.

Maurice Donckers 16-11-09 08:14

Yes you are right the Land rover /British ones , with the ribbed edge are not CMP correct , the 13 , 12 cab plates are just a flat piece . If you need dimensions let me know.

BCBlitz 17-11-09 03:41

Hi All

Well Ive finally found a original WWII plate so thanks all for the help, needs a diff weight # 5 on it but other than that its perfect..... :thup2:

thanks for all your help from around the globe.

Next thing I need is a coolant overflow tank for a Ford CMP , anyone help with this ?? :eek:

Keith Orpin 18-11-09 22:05

Bridging Plate

Maurice,
Could you let me know what the correct diameter and thickness of an original bridging plate would be ?
I've also just noticed another interesting twist on bridging numbers. I've always believed that my C30 LAAT should have 6/10 shown on the bridging plate, however, it you look at the original factory pitures of a C30 LAAT, it's shown as 9 on the plate. Now, would it be that the British showed both the vehicle weight with and without the gun being towed (ie 6/10), and the Canadians gave a rough combined weight (ie 9)
I await your learned replies,
Regards
Keith

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 07-01-22 22:47

bridge plate

Hi,
any one know where to get Bridge Sign (also called a bridge plate) 7-1/2″ diameter metal disc?
thanks
eric

Michael R. 08-01-22 02:14

Eric, are you looking for the stamped version with the raised edge?

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 08-01-22 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael R. (Post 284455)
Eric, are you looking for the stamped version with the raised edge?

i dont know what should i use for a Canadian willys 1942 :confused i think is the raised edge i see on ww2 pic !

Michael R. 08-01-22 02:23

1 Attachment(s)
You could look at the thread from 2013 where Derk D was looking for a plate... some discussion there. Search ‘bridge plate’ in ‘For Sale - Wanted’.

Owen Evans 08-01-22 18:26

Also a small amount of info here, about half way down the page:

https://captainstevens.com/military/mv/mvmarkings/

I made my own (flat type, without the raised edge) for my Cab11 Chev.....some mush on Ebay was selling laser-cut steel discs, which helped! :)

Owen.

chris vickery 08-01-22 20:39

Just cut one out yourself from flat plate stock.

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 09-01-22 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 284464)
Just cut one out yourself from flat plate stock.

for the price and the shipping cost maybe :coffee

Robert Bergeron 09-01-22 01:19

I used the bottom of a metal coffee can for my 1944 GPW. … $0 … Maxwell House .

Bob Carriere 09-01-22 03:33

A whole lot of money for a raised ridge.......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19459034470...YAAOSwbZpe31zw

Bottom off an old Olive Drab paint can would do fine..... says me who got one at a flea market for $7.00 CDN.

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 09-01-22 14:37

Hi,
so the right size is 7 1/2 or 9 inc :coffee

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 13-01-22 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) (Post 284474)
Hi,
so the right size is 7 1/2 or 9 inc :coffee

:giveup Hi anyone know if the right size is 7 1/2 or 9 in. :confused

Hanno Spoelstra 13-01-22 13:17

Bridge Classification Signs were 6 inches in diameter

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) (Post 284536)
:giveup Hi anyone know if the right size is 7 1/2 or 9 in. :confused

My bold:

"In order to help bridge sentries determine the weight of vehicles wanting to cross them, bridging discs were added to Canadian vehicles. These discs were 6 inches in diameter, painted yellow, bearing black numbers which indicated the weight class of the vehicles. The discs could either be a metal plate attached to the vehicle or else painted directly onto the vehicle. They were usually located on the right front fender, though on many vehicles the disc replaced the right front headlight. Vehicles pulling trailers would have two numbers, one indicated the weight class of the vehicle only, the other the weight class of both vehicle and trailer."
From: https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/veh...lemarkings.htm