MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Auction of Fort Paull museum exhibits (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31450)

Bruce MacMillan 19-08-20 15:43

Auction of Fort Paull museum exhibits

Something for everybody in this auction in September. Fort Paull near Hull in Yorkshire is selling everything from cannons, rifles, machine guns, armoured vehicles, uniforms, etc. Includes 25 pounders, 3.7" AA, aircraft, and all the display fittings.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e-id-ibgi10619

rob love 19-08-20 16:26

How come we don't get auctions like that here in Canada? Then again, I would be broke for a year if we did.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 19-08-20 17:01

How much space did this museum take up? Where did all the mannequins come from????

maple_leaf_eh 19-08-20 17:28

The why

And the rest of the story.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...museum-3763173

Grant Bowker 19-08-20 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 271737)
How come we don't get auctions like that here in Canada? Then again, I would be broke for a year if we did.

Either they are selling it off cheap or you make a lot more than I do if you would only be broke for a year.....

rob love 19-08-20 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Bowker (Post 271740)
Either they are selling it off cheap or you make a lot more than I do if you would only be broke for a year.....

Third option is I have self control. The OCD does not control me, I control it and use it to further my pursuits of happiness.

malcolm erik bogaert 20-08-20 20:42

Auction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 271738)
How much space did this museum take up? Where did all the mannequins come from????

a lot of the stuff including the aircraft came from the defunct Musuem of Army Transport at Beverley which is just down the road.

Hanno Spoelstra 28-08-20 22:15

South African Reconnaissance Car Mk IV

3 Attachment(s)
Heads-up on a South African Reconnaissance Car Mk IV for sale. Interestingly, this is the rarer Mk IV version built with Marmon-Herrington All Wheel Drive components, rather than the later Mk IVF which used F60L CMP driveline components.

Read more here: http://www.mapleleafup.nl/marmonherrington/armdcar.html

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e-ac0600cc3dc1

Attachment 115860 Attachment 115861 Attachment 115862

Darrell Zinck 29-08-20 15:17

Hi Hanno

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31450

In case members wanted something else.

regards
Darrell

Hanno Spoelstra 21-09-20 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck (Post 271985)
Hi Hanno

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31450

In case members wanted something else.

regards
Darrell

Thanks Darrell, threads now merged.

Hanno Spoelstra 21-09-20 12:04

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 271978)
Heads-up on a South African Reconnaissance Car Mk IV for sale. Interestingly, this is the rarer Mk IV version built with Marmon-Herrington All Wheel Drive components, rather than the later Mk IVF which used F60L CMP driveline components.

Hammer Price for this vehicle was 7,000 GBP, not a bad deal I think.

"Marmon Herrington MKIV Armoured Car, this vehicle is a restoration project, it has an engine and running gear, This lot does appear to be deactivated but has no certificate"

Attachment 116260 Attachment 116259

Hanno Spoelstra 21-09-20 12:12

4 Attachment(s)
Also sold were two 25-pdr field guns.

One was built by GMH Australia (at least the carriage was):
Quote:

"Howitzer 25lbs British Field Gun Mk.I (Bidding/Purchasing Restrictions Apply) This lot does appear to be deactivated but has no certificate
Hammer Price: 6,000 GBP"

Attachment 116261 Attachment 116262
Source: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...1-ac0600cb3d78

Second one is British-built:
Quote:

"Avery 25lb Mk.1 Field Gun 1940 Reg: CA388 (whilst this lot looks like it has been deactivated we have no paperwork or certificate) (Bidding/Purchasing Restrictions Apply)
Hammer Price: 8,000 GBP"

Attachment 116263 Attachment 116264
Source: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...6-ac0600cc3034

Hanno Spoelstra 21-09-20 12:29

Mounds of manuals

5 Attachment(s)
And then there were many manuals sold off in lots of ten (roughly from lot 685 and onwards).

Many MCP, CMP and British vehicle (related) manuals, which sadly all suffer from getting mouldy to a certain extent (like many other artefacts in the auction):

Attachment 116265 Attachment 116266 Attachment 116267 Attachment 116268 Attachment 116269

rnixartillery 21-09-20 18:50

The Marmon was in extremely poor condition All tin work would need remanufacturing, very little of anything good inside .
The Australian 25 pdr was also very poor with salt air ingress and went for way over what I thought it was worth as well as being incomplete.
The Avery 25 pdr was complete and in good order ,a simple restoration.
Generally everything in the sale was in very poor condition due to its coastal location and poor preservation.

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Mike Cecil 22-09-20 02:55

I wonder why anyone would have wanted to import an Australian 25-pdr into the UK sometime after the late 1950s or early 1960s?

Sounds like 'coals to Newcastle'.

Mike

Hanno Spoelstra 22-09-20 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnixartillery (Post 272574)
The Marmon was in extremely poor condition All tin work would need remanufacturing, very little of anything good inside .
The Australian 25 pdr was also very poor with salt air ingress and went for way over what I thought it was worth as well as being incomplete.
The Avery 25 pdr was complete and in good order ,a simple restoration.
Generally everything in the sale was in very poor condition due to its coastal location and poor preservation.

Rob, thanks for adjusting the expectations :)
Shows that one should visually inspect an item before proceeding to buy.

Hanno Spoelstra 22-09-20 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 272583)
I wonder why anyone would have wanted to import an Australian 25-pdr into the UK sometime after the late 1950s or early 1960s?

It may have been supplied to / swapped sometime during WW2 to become part of British Army inventory? Would be interesting to hear this gun tell it's story on how it came to the UK.

rnixartillery 22-09-20 09:54

Quote:

Mike

I actually thought the Australian 25pdr was the most interesting piece there ,it did have its foot pedal firing linkage complete and I was intending to bid on it but it just did not command the price it went for.
It had a great deal of rot in places ,surprisingly the belly of the carriage was solid.

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Richard Farrant 22-09-20 10:29

Quote:

Mike

Mike,
I believe that Australian 25-pdr was sold at the Pickles auction of equipment from the Newcastle (NSW) Regional Museum in March 1997.

I was present at the auction and am sure it was bought by a UK dealer along with some other lots.

Actually it was coals from Newcastle!!!

regards, Richard

Mike Cecil 22-09-20 16:47

Thanks Richard, that clears up the mystery nicely. Indeed, coals from Newcastle! I was pretty sure it was not a WW2 import due to the muzzle brake with locking collar and the modified traverse gearbox mounting.

I hope whoever purchased it does a nice restoration, despite the rot - the GMH guns assembled at the Pagewood plant in Sydney are the rarer of the 25-pdrs from the two Australian major co-ordinating contractors.

Mike

David Dunlop 22-09-20 18:36

One can only hope, Mike. I sometimes wonder how many unique collectable items are lost forever from owners who see what they want, but not what they have.

David

Richard Farrant 22-09-20 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 272603)
Thanks Richard, that clears up the mystery nicely. Indeed, coals from Newcastle! I was pretty sure it was not a WW2 import due to the muzzle brake with locking collar and the modified traverse gearbox mounting.

I hope whoever purchased it does a nice restoration, despite the rot - the GMH guns assembled at the Pagewood plant in Sydney are the rarer of the 25-pdrs from the two Australian major co-ordinating contractors.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I can add a little anecdote to the Newcastle auction, the auctioneer clearly stated before bidding started on the 25-pdr that you would need to hold a licence. It was knocked down to a guy holding a beer can, who had probably already consumed several more, for $3000 Aussie dollars. When asked for the licence the guy said he did not have one. So the bidding started all over again and sold for $2300.

Richard

Hanno Spoelstra 23-09-20 09:36

Hi Richard, thanks that's interesting to read.

Would you happen to know where the South African Reconnaissance Car Mk IV (a.k.a. Marmon-Herrington Recce Car) came from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Farrant (Post 272600)
I believe that Australian 25-pdr was sold at the Pickles auction of equipment from the Newcastle (NSW) Regional Museum in March 1997.

I was present at the auction and am sure it was bought by a UK dealer along with some other lots.

Actually it was coals from Newcastle!!!

rnixartillery 23-09-20 10:03

I would put money on it being one of RnR,s ,Mike had three or four in his yard back in the early ninety's.
I think I have some pictures somewhere !

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Richard Farrant 23-09-20 13:42

Rob, you are 100% correct, Mike was at the auction. The serial number in the catalogue matches the one in the photo on this thread.
You win the banana today !

rnixartillery 23-09-20 13:47

Well thankyou mate !! Lol...........
I can remember them in his yard ,a couple of them were on Canadian chassis and at the time they had just restored one to go overseas.

Those were the good old days ........................ :thup2:

Rob..................rnixartillery.

Richard Farrant 23-09-20 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 272612)
Hi Richard, thanks that's interesting to read.

Would you happen to know where the South African Reconnaissance Car Mk IV (a.k.a. Marmon-Herrington Recce Car) came from?

I think I have seen it somewhere before. It definitely was not in the Australian auction.

rnixartillery 23-09-20 20:19

1 Attachment(s)
Found it ! this was one of several RnR had back in the nineties.
As I mentioned before a couple were on Canadian running gear.
There are still quite a few of these in Greek Scrap yards today .

Rob.................rnixartillery.

Richard Farrant 23-09-20 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnixartillery (Post 272632)
Found it ! this was one of several RnR had back in the nineties.
As I mentioned before a couple were on Canadian running gear.
There are still quite a few of these in Greek Scrap yards today .

Rob.................rnixartillery.

That is where I must have seen it as my workshop was only a few hundred yards down the road from their yard at that time. :thup: