MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   WW2 Ford Generator (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32450)

Paul Singleton 17-06-21 04:55

WW2 Ford Generator

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6947806255447/

Colin Alford 17-06-21 16:09

4 Attachment(s)
Interesting,

It appears to be either a Machinery Trailer, Type “22 K.W. Generator” or a Machinery Trailer, “R.E. 25 K.W. Generator”.

Images from Vol VII of the Design Record attached.

I wonder if there is a long-term member of MLU who lives in the general area that has a collection of various types of CMP trailers who might be interested? Barry?

Colin

Bruce Parker (RIP) 17-06-21 17:07

Years ago I would have been all over this, I wanted one in the worst way. Unfortunately I no longer have anything to tow it with (and the wife would kill me). I only hope someone gets it to restore and not to strip out the flathead.

Hanno Spoelstra 17-06-21 17:57

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Singleton (Post 279692)

The trailer:

Quote:

Ford generator
C$1,500
Details
Condition
Used – fair
Flat head Ford V8 gas
Military generator
It cranks over with a battery hooked up
Great restoration project
Centre Hastings, ON
Seller information
Tyler Hatcher

Attachment 122723 Attachment 122724 Attachment 122725 Attachment 122726

Hanno Spoelstra 17-06-21 17:58

4 Attachment(s)
And part 2, the generator.

Agree, I hope is will be preserved as a unit!

Attachment 122727 Attachment 122728 Attachment 122729 Attachment 122730

Barry Churcher 18-06-21 18:05

Colin I saw this add about 6:00 am yesterday morning and had my finger on the button all day long. I went to a patio supper with Les Fisher, Brian Gough and my son. After a brief discussion with them I planned to sleep on it. Today cooler heads have prevailed and I will sadly leave it for someone else.
Thanks Paul for posting this.
Barry

Bruce Parker (RIP) 18-06-21 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Churcher (Post 279745)
Colin I saw this add about 6:00 am yesterday morning and had my finger on the button all day long. I went to a patio supper with Les Fisher, Brian Gough and my son. After a brief discussion with them I planned to sleep on it. Today cooler heads have prevailed and I will sadly leave it for someone else.
Thanks Paul for posting this.
Barry

Kay, so how much of a price drop before you hit the 'buy it now' button? Despite having no place for it I've mulled over what that figure would be for me.

Grant Bowker 18-06-21 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Alford (Post 279703)
It appears to be either a Machinery Trailer, Type “22 K.W. Generator” or a Machinery Trailer, “R.E. 25 K.W. Generator”.

My guess is 22 k.w.Generator based on two elements:
1) the proportions of the transverse toolbox ahead of the main enclosure, and
2) absence of the separate V-belt driven welding generator mounted above the main generator (though this could have been removed at a later date...) that should be present on the 25 KW version.

Interesting to see lights typical of earlier M-series on the back of the trailer - this might be a post-service modification (though these lights would have been more expensive than commercial units) or might say something about how long the trailer remained in service.

I believe the 2x duplex outlets that seem to be in commercial boxes, wired with "Romex" would also be later additions.

More info:
The enclosure is the later style - plain panels instead of the louvered ones found on early production (shown in the AEDB photos posted by Colin).
The fuel tank appears to be a replacement, smaller tank. But, the original straps may still be there, folded forward.

Though the trailer/generator may be worthy of preservation as an unusual survivor, it probably won't be too practical as a source of back-up power as both the 22KW and 25KVA are listed in their manuals as providing 110 VDC power. Given the stated 110 VDC output, I'm puzzled about the (likely added) outlets shown in the photos. Did the owner do some creative wiring or did they use it for loads that can accept the DC power (lighting? small heater?).

James P 19-06-21 01:01

Guys, just convince the wifey you need this should there be a wide spread, prolonged, multi day black out so you do not have to live like the Amish, or Canada in the 1860s.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 19-06-21 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by James P (Post 279756)
Guys, just convince the wifey you need this should there be a wide spread, prolonged, multi day black out so you do not have to live like the Amish, or Canada in the 1860s.

Stop it. I don't need any encouragement.

Tony Smith 19-06-21 02:31

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 279746)
Kay, so how much of a price drop before you hit the 'buy it now' button? Despite having no place for it I've mulled over what that figure would be for me.

Gosh you Blokes are Deep Thinkers! Jump in and Buy It Now!

Look at that Instrument Panel, using a '37-'39 instrument cluster and the choke and throttle knobs from a CMP (or '40-'41 Commercial). I've seen a lot of GM Diesel gensets that use Delco instruments, but this is the first Ford unit I've seen to do it. This unit would clean up and display nicely. Don't let the Hot Rodders get it!

Tony Smith 19-06-21 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 279706)
Years ago I would have been all over this, I wanted one in the worst way.

Do it! Feel young again!

Tony Smith 19-06-21 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 279761)
Stop it. I don't need any encouragement.

We wouldn't do that to you! :devil:

Harry Moon 19-06-21 04:49

proximity

if someone lives near this and has a good place to put it for a unknown but not forever spot to put it PM me.

Michael R. 19-06-21 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Moon (Post 279772)
if someone already divorced, living near this and has a good place to put it for a unknown but not forever spot to put it PM me.

best wishes, young Mr. Moon.

Paul Singleton 19-06-21 07:00

Generator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Moon (Post 279772)
if someone lives near this and has a good place to put it for a unknown but not forever spot to put it PM me.

Perhaps the seller would store it for you until you could pick it up. It wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Harry Moon 19-06-21 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael R. (Post 279774)
best wishes, young Mr. Moon.

I like your edit.

Michael R. 20-06-21 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Moon (Post 279785)
I like your edit.

:drunk: :drunk:

Paul Singleton 25-06-21 17:58

Generator sold

The Ford generator has been marked sold on the ad. Hopefully it’s gone to a good home.

Grant Bowker 25-06-21 18:06

Well, at least I don't need to keep torturing my self with "Do I want to" and "Should I...".

Harry Moon 25-06-21 21:55

torture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Bowker (Post 280006)
Well, at least I don't need to keep torturing my self with "Do I want to" and "Should I...".

same here.

Tony Smith 25-06-21 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Bowker (Post 280006)

No, not any longer. But now you can wrestle with the "Did I do the right thing buying that?" :thup2:

Grant Bowker 25-06-21 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 280024)
No, not any longer. But now you can wrestle with the "Did I do the right thing buying that?" :thup2:

No problem there, I'm used to that one for both the ones I bought and the ones I let go by...

Harry Moon 26-06-21 04:19

buyer

if someone bought it to save it, let me know if you change your mind in the future.

Alex van de Wetering 05-07-21 23:03

What an awesome find.....there is just something about trailers...

I hope it get's saved....and not just scrapped for just the Flathead.

Matthew P 09-07-21 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Bowker (Post 279751)

Though the trailer/generator may be worthy of preservation as an unusual survivor, it probably won't be too practical as a source of back-up power as both the 22KW and 25KVA are listed in their manuals as providing 110 VDC power. Given the stated 110 VDC output, I'm puzzled about the (likely added) outlets shown in the photos. Did the owner do some creative wiring or did they use it for loads that can accept the DC power (lighting? small heater?).

I have the Hobart/Chrysler welder-generator version of this unit in US form. It also has 110V DC outlets. Apparently most small motors like those in handheld power tools (like grinders, drills etc) are "Universal" and will run on DC voltage. Here's the Wikipedia 101 course on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_motor

Matt