MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Spotted, new CF gear (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31630)

chris vickery 17-10-20 00:50

Spotted, new CF gear

On today’s escapades just North Of Petawawa

James P 17-10-20 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 273189)
On today’s escapades just North Of Petawawa

So super secret you cannot even see it.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 17-10-20 14:27

Well if you spotted it I guess it's back to the drawing board for them.

chris vickery 17-10-20 15:15

1 Attachment(s)
I’ll try this again, fighting with the forum website kept rejecting the upload

Ed Storey 17-10-20 16:26

Mercedes-Benz ACTROS 4051 Tractor AHSVS

1 Attachment(s)
Good photograph. That Mercedes-Benz ACTROS 4051 Tractor AHSVS is one of 21 purchased in 2007 for service in Afghanistan. The flat-bed trailer I am not sure of the type although something I learned a while ago about CF vehicles is that they are easier to identify if you can capture the CFR number.

Attached is a photograph of a ACTROS 4051 Tractor AHSVS taken in Afghanistan.

Attachment 116833

chris vickery 17-10-20 17:09

Next time CFRs!
What I missed getting pics of yesterday were two CANSOFCOM HUMMWV trucks on a flat deck transport at the truck stop
in Arnprior ON.
One was painted up with bizarre camo.
Any ideas if these will com up as surplus? Probably chip them
like the rest of the fleet...

rob love 17-10-20 18:05

The trailer is interesting. I recall a bunch of trailers in KAF that were squirreled away in another compound. It could have been those. They were stacked in pairs if I recall, and not used. Not sure if they did end up getting used. Instead, the AHSVS were using various trailers, ranging from the multi-axle trailer Ed shows down to the old Craig hydraulic neck trailers. The Craigs caused a problem in that it was not a good match for the trucks. If a driver was out by a few degrees backing onto the trailer with the AHSVS, they would smash the lights on the AHSVS. They could not keep up on lights, and you could not merely substitute a different light as there was some form of a lighting module that was sensitive to the total draw. This went on for a while until I noticed the problem and realized the fifth wheel plate simply had to be back further. The trucks were not my sections responsibility, but the older trailers were.

It went to Ottawa where a new configuration for the fifth wheel plate was designed, and the taillamp useage was reduced to almost nil.

Those multi axle trailers were also very prone to brake chamber damage, owing to their low mounting. The B section could not keep up with those either. I received about 20 chambers as part of a different project, but in the end they all went to those trailers. Not sure if there ever was a solution to that problem.

As to Canada selling HMMWVs, they are a US controlled item, demil code Q. My bet is they will be destroyed upon being surplus, or at very best sold thru GCmil to qualified buyers, which isn't most of us.

maple_leaf_eh 17-10-20 20:09

CAF HUMMWVs

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 273215)
Next time CFRs!
What I missed getting pics of yesterday were two CANSOFCOM HUMMWV trucks on a flat deck transport at the truck stop
in Arnprior ON.
One was painted up with bizarre camo.
Any ideas if these will com up as surplus? Probably chip them
like the rest of the fleet...

I saw those! And took a short video clip. The clip is on my phone, and I will put it up in a day or so.

Both tan paint colour and one with blotchy dark contrasts. That one was open top with half-doors and vertical rear sidewalls. I want to say there were MG mounts on the roof and door posts. The second was fairly conventional sloped back with full doors.

James P 18-10-20 00:13

And here I thought it was the Terradyne Gurkha I saw in Ottawa about this time frame.

Yeo.NT 18-10-20 04:05

This truck platform was a Afghanistan purchase and Generally for deployment overseas. The vehicles seen operating in Canada are for work up training before deployments

rob love 18-10-20 15:42

I think those trucks also get a lot of credit for saving lives. It was amazing to see some of them coming in with severe IED damage, and the drivers were unscathed. When those trucks came in, the add-on armoured HLVWs and the Western Star highway tractors (again with add on armour) were relegated to FOB duties. If either of those two vehicle types had to travel between KAF and the FOBs, it was on a flatbed being towed by the Mercedes Actros.

It was money well spent on that fleet.

Ed Storey 18-10-20 17:17

Mercedes Actros

1 Attachment(s)
It was indeed money well spent. Attached is another 'sandbox' image.

Attachment 116860

maple_leaf_eh 25-10-20 19:15

The video clip as promised.

https://imgur.com/bYesbIY

James P 26-10-20 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh (Post 273401)
The video clip as promised.

https://imgur.com/bYesbIY

It looks like when the first Tiger tanks arrived in N.Africa the German DAK know they where being watched and counted so they drove around a loop a couple times to give the illusion of more tanks then actually unloaded.