MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   M10 tank destroyer / Achilles engine bulkhead label (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33165)

Mark Robinson 26-01-22 13:25

M10 tank destroyer / Achilles engine bulkhead label

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, does anyone know the wording on the attached picture? Or a good readable, picture of the exact wording?
If any one has access to an interior in a museum with this label, the measurements please!

I have tried various forums - no luck yet.

Thanks,

Mark

Jakko Westerbeke 27-01-22 11:16

I can make out most of the text in the illustration in the manual (not in your photo, but in the real manual), though it takes some effort so I didn’t try and decipher all of it yet. The bracket being in the way doesn’t help, though :) If you want, I can give it a serious go and post what I can read here?

Mark Robinson 27-01-22 13:09

Hi when I use a magnifying glass to read the label in the manual the image in the glass viewed picks out the printing dots but not clear letters.

Jakko Westerbeke 28-01-22 11:18

I make it:

FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE
POINTED AT

then in three columns:

(first column)
"LH"
LEFT HAND TANKS SUPPLY
FUEL TO BOTH ENGINES

(middle column)
"OFF"
FUEL FLOW
SHUT OFF

(third column)
"RH"
RIGHT HAND TANKS SUPPLY
FUEL TO BOTH ENGINES

Back to one column:

FUEL TANK CAPACITY
UPPER unreadable 69 GAL EACH
LOWER unreadable 12 GAL EACH
(12 GAL TANKS FOR unreadable ONLY)

CAUTION:
ALWAYS SEE THAT INSTRUMENT PANEL TANK unreadable
SWITCH POSITION CHECKS WITH SELECTOR unreadable
GAGE FOR LEVEL IN UPPER unreadable
ONLY.
WHEN GAGE READS "EMPTY" TURN GAGE SWITCH
SELECTOR TO OPPOSITE FUEL TANKS.
DO NOT ALLOW FOR TANKS TO RUN DRY AS THIS WILL
CAUSE FUEL SYSTEM TOP BECOME AIR BOUND.

I'm not sure that the last word is "BOUND" but it looks like it. The unreadable words are mostly behind the bracket. Also, I think it says "12 GAL" for the lower tanks and the line below that, but the manual says 14½ gallons per tank. However, there are clearly only two characters on the label, so it can’t read "14½"; maybe it says "14" or "15" but it looks like 12 to me.

Mark Robinson 28-01-22 17:19

Hi thanks for what you have done it's the only reply I have had over various forums👍
I guess there is not many original labels left on M10 hulls and m10s/Achilles that have been restored have not bothered to put this label on.
If and when I do get the full wording I have had a few requests for the label.
Thanks Mark 👍

Jakko Westerbeke 28-01-22 19:39

It probably helps that I have a copy of TM 9-752 on the shelf behind me :) Though I must admit I didn’t put all that much effort into deciphering the words I couldn’t make out this morning. I’ll take another look, probably tomorrow, to see if I can’t make more sense of them.

Michael R. 28-01-22 23:42

perhaps check the M4A2 series for a similar label?

Mark Robinson 29-01-22 00:39

That is a good idea the only difference would be the upper diesel fuel tank on the M4A2 is 59 1/2 gallons.