MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Chevrolet c15a Progress (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33461)

Paul Edwards 10-06-22 13:33

Chevrolet c15a Progress

5 Attachment(s)
Just a quick note to show progress with my c15a restoration.

This week bolted on the cab roof, rear tool box and offered up the wings. At last I have room in the garage to swing a cat!

Rear cargo bed off to the blaster to see what I have left of it!

Thank you all you knowledgeable guys that have given advice,

Cheers,

Paul

Bob Carriere 10-06-22 22:46

Nice job.......

Hi Paul

What are contemplating for the rubber over head pad that glues to the inside roof of the cab ????? or comments/suggestions from other cab 11/12 users.

The two bolts holding your roof front post will eventually be used to hold the mirror arms...... I would suggest uwsing the same size bolts but longer and mounting with the bolt head inside the nose section...... cut and shape a 1/4 inch steel plate to the same profile as the roof bracket and thread smae as bolt size...... that way you can install the roof pillar post tight and have enough protruding threaded bolt to use for the mirrior arm nut...........

Paul Edwards 13-06-22 20:03

Thanks Bob, getting there albeit slowly,

Haven't seen that overhead pad you refer to, does anyone have any pics?

Yes the front post is just located loosely as with much of the cab until I get the doors offered up, only then will I button her up. That's great idea by the way.

Cheers,

Paul

Ganmain Tony 14-06-22 11:37

Looking Good

Looks terrific Paul, going to be a fabulous looking truck. I like the shade of Khaki too!

The Reinforcing strips around the outside of the roof (With the very nice brass screws) are they original? Are they timber or metal?

Just curious... my Ford Cab 12 is different.

Don't mean to be a rivet counter, but where else can I have this discussion???

Keep the updates coming - great work!!

Paul Edwards 21-06-22 17:31

Thanks Tony,

The strips around the edge of the roof are weathering strips, they are original and made of aluminum to cover up the roof fixings. The brass screws are fresh.

I'm sure I'v seen it available on vintage car restorers sites.

Cheers,

Paul

david moore 22-06-22 16:25

Brass plus Al equals corrosion!

Wouldn't use brass screws with Alumin(i)um! Asking for rapid bimetallic corrosion. Stainless steel screws would be OK

David Moore

Ganmain Tony 23-06-22 10:40

Thank you

Thanks for the reply Paul.

Interesting to see the small variations in these trucks.

Looking forward to more progress pictures!

Bob Carriere 29-06-22 01:07

Sorry Paul....was away on vacation....

Will look up my roof pads tomorrow while in the barn and take pictures of the roof moulding that I have seen on original Canadian cab 11 and 12..... they are made of strips of steel held to the roof with metal round headed screws that fits into the wooden frame work. I have never been able to source the metal strips.

However, is any one as ever rebuilt the pick up box of early 1950 GM/Ford truck they use a metal strip that hold the wooden planks....strip is about 1 1/4 inch wide with a central screw that holds the wood in place.....

will renew my efforts to source the strips....... identical strips are used to hold the cardboard roof inside lining in Dodge pick up cabs circa 1947-52 power wagon stocked as a kit by Roberts Motors in Main......

Can any body else chim in on the metal strips????

m606paz 29-06-22 01:37

3 Attachment(s)
Factory pics

Bob Carriere 29-06-22 16:02

Thanks Mariano

The metal strip on the roof is very visible......

The cut out in the angle iron of the roof/bottom rear of cab joint line is only found on cab 12 allowing and extra 5/8 of an inch of rear movement of the seat without cracking the back of the driver..... and the large hook device to hold the door open was for greater air circulation on warm days,,,,,,, these hooks started to appear on cab `12 but were also retro fitted on cab 11. In North Africa they had a better solution.......loose the door at the first opportunity for easy of egress under fire.

Bob C

Bob Carriere 01-07-22 03:08

Inside roof padding......

Inside the cab 11/12 someone decided that some protection was needed for the driver/passenger's head......

What I have found is badly degreaded foam rubber. Pads are 16 1/2 inch square and approx. 1 inch thick. They seem to be covered with a very light cotton fabric and some were painted OD some black.

I have access to surplus foam abotu 1 inch thick that I will shape the edges with a sanding disc to give it the 1/4 round appearance. .... I will then coat it with rubber cement and a light cotton fabric. The finishing touch will be multi light coating of Latex water base house paint in flat black....paint needs to be reduced with regular water..... multi coats as opposed to one thick coating. I have used the same approach in reproducing backpacks and gaitors for 1812 re-enactments with good success. Finally the finished pads can be glued to the Painted roof with PolyUrethane centered above each seat.

Grant has some pictures of the roof line moulding he will be posting....

Grant Bowker 01-07-22 19:41

Roof trim strip

5 Attachment(s)
Attached photos of Bob's roof rim strip. I measured the hole spacing on the pictured strip (which is one of the verticals behind the door) as 2-11/16". The measurement was done between adjacent holes and I didn't think to confirm that 5 spaces were actually 5x the individual measurement... The hole spacing on the strip over the doors and across the front of the cab (all one piece) was different (from memory, closer to 3" c-c)

Grant Bowker 01-07-22 19:54

Roof pad

5 Attachment(s)
Photos of Bob's saved roof pad are attached.

Ganmain Tony 02-07-22 07:20

Roof strip

That's the strip I'm familiar with Grant and Bob. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Perhaps the trucks assembled in the U.K. had a different type. Like the one on Paul's?