MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   cross tube dust cover (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24525)

arie teomim 26-09-15 20:25

cross tube dust cover

HI ALL,
does any one here experinced in making thi s dust cover??
thanks arie

Darrin Wright 27-09-15 02:29

leather dust boots

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Arie,

I have had made a few sets of the dust covers, to suit the Aust LP2 Bren Gun Carrier.
I assume they would be the same as an English/Canadian carrier.

My advice is to make a cardboard template to assist with getting the angles, inside and outer dimensions correct.
Do a test sample first to ensure fit is correct and that it expands & compresses with axle movement.
Do not use too thick a leather as it will be hard to move as required.

Regards

Michael R. 27-09-15 16:10

I agree with you Darrin, this is likely what Arie is asking about.
I have portions of one sample that appears to be factory manufactured with a black colour composite material. No part number found, green colour thread is used. Maybe this explains the replacement "C" series?

CTL 1621. Excluder - leather dust - for cross tube.
When stock depleted supply CTL 1622 C.
Two (2) required, not handed.

Ford Universal Carrier Illustrated Parts Catalogue FUC-03, reissued May, 1944

The same item for any of the Canadian produced series universal carriers using hull/track offset first stage steering. According to multiple previous threads, this gaiter can be used on the LP series.

__________________________________________________ ______________

There is also the unanswered posting from George for the steering cam assembly cover, under the elusive replacement parts catalogue section heading of: "Rare as Rocking Horse Manure".
See: http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24457

Jim Burrill 27-09-15 16:33

Having sewn leather accoutrements for other time periods of reenacting, making a set years ago was no bother.

I would recommend the thin leather - 2-3oz - as said above, but I would also recommend treating it with a liberal dose of Neetsfoot oil or shoe dobbin for waterproofing work boots.

It will darken the leather, but really not a factor for a carrier, eh? But it will help preserve the thin leather from rotting and cracking.

Chees,
Jim

rob love 27-09-15 17:44

He could also be talking about the canvas cover that goes over the cam plate and bearings. I have about 80% of an original, but have not made up a copy for my carrier. It is the kind of thing you install as you are building the carrier....I could not imagine trying to replace it unless you happened to have the engine and radiator out, removed the wiring conduits, and the armoured air louvers.

I may make one up for the 2VP carrier at work as I am just about to install the cross shaft now. I also need to make up the cross tube dust excluders, and cannot decide between the bellows type or the simple wiper type. The carrier will not see the mud or brush like it did 70 years ago.

kevin powles 27-09-15 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 214527)
He could also be talking about the canvas cover that goes over the cam plate and bearings. I have about 80% of an original, but have not made up a copy for my carrier. It is the kind of thing you install as you are building the carrier....I could not imagine trying to replace it unless you happened to have the engine and radiator out, removed the wiring conduits, and the armoured air louvers.

I may make one up for the 2VP carrier at work as I am just about to install the cross shaft now. I also need to make up the cross tube dust excluders, and cannot decide between the bellows type or the simple wiper type. The carrier will not see the mud or brush like it did 70 years ago.

Rob, Have you some pics and dimensions of that canvas cover?, i believe there is one behind the driver which excludes debris coming into the cam plate and another which snap poppers on that covers over the cam plate rollers (i have seen remains of this particular canvas cover on Richard Harrisons carrier) when he got it.

Kevin.

rob love 27-09-15 21:18

My carrier was an early one, so had the extra metal angle bracket behind the driver's seat on the bulkhead which excluded stuff from finding it's way into the cross shaft bearing area. The canvas I have is bolted in with the lower access plate under the cam, and snaps in place over the two sides of the cross shaft. Sorry, no photos at present, but if I do make one up I'll share the details here on MLU.

kevin powles 27-09-15 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 214535)
My carrier was an early one, so had the extra metal angle bracket behind the driver's seat on the bulkhead which excluded stuff from finding it's way into the cross shaft bearing area. The canvas I have is bolted in with the lower access plate under the cam, and snaps in place over the two sides of the cross shaft. Sorry, no photos at present, but if I do make one up I'll share the details here on MLU.

Rob, thats the one, please share when you find time.

Cheers.

Lynn Eades 28-09-15 11:19

Arie, look up my thread "carrier soft parts"

arie teomim 30-09-15 07:11

THANK YOU ALL,
this was very hepfull
arie

Robert Bergeron 03-10-15 03:17

Canadian Carrier use with Israel in the war of independance of 1949

Hey Arie,

Just out of historical curiosity were Canadian Mk2 UC 's used in that War on your side ?

Pictures ?

Thanks.

Bob

arie teomim 03-10-15 08:20

this is interesting. Israely army never used UC although there are many wrecks in the country. some of those were booty (is that the right word?)
from the war of indipendenc in 1948, the Egyptian used them. some of them were left by the British army who ruled the country at the time.
the majority sorce were caught from the Egyptian army in 1956 in the SUEZ
conflict. as far as I know, there is onky one that is restored and is runing. I hope my will be the second one
arie