MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Gun Park (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FAT Fast 17 pounder recovery (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17435)

David Dunlop 24-12-15 17:35

Thanks for the clarification, Rob.

David

Rob Fast 30-12-15 21:45

Muzzle brake completed...

2 Attachment(s)
a fantastic job by these 2 guys, Harold and George. It is now getting powder coated, should be on the barrel in a week. An exact replication. Cheers Rob

Private_collector 30-12-15 23:14

Muzzle brake, looks brilliant!

3 Attachment(s)
Rob, what material was used for the muzzle brake? It's a brilliant job.
Attachment 78483 Attachment 78484 Attachment 78485
I would have liked mine to be metal, but I have no talent and don't know anyone who works with metal lathes. Fortunately I have a friend who was able to turn one from wood, and I'll be damned if he didn't get it very close to original look.

I tips me hat to you fellas that have such high standards in your work. I have been following your progressand it gives me something to aspire to.

Best regards, and hope you have a happy & prosperous 2016.

Rob Fast 30-12-15 23:55

Thanks for the kind words Tony...

1 Attachment(s)
we all just do what we can to keep these historical pieces up to snuff. We started with a solid 8 inch round piece of alluminium. Yes, a little soft, but easy to work with, we are going to have to be careful about getting it dinged up. Enjoy the New Year. Cheers Rob

rnixartillery 31-12-15 12:04

Rob ,another piece of the puzzle struck off the list and an important part too.

Tony,
Nice to see your project moving along ,the muzzle looks very good.
You should run a thread to show people how much work you have put into this.
Much easier to restore one than build it from scratch !!!

All the best to both of you for 2016. :cheers:

Rob......................rnixartillery.

Rob Fast 13-01-16 01:24

17 update...

5 Attachment(s)
Got out the carpentry tools this weekend and built a couple of replicas of never seen, tough to find 17 pdr. ammo boxes,C-310 and C-274. I think I'm close, still a lot of detailing to do. Always looking for 17 PDR. shells and projectiles. Also see muzzle brake installed. Box seen is APCBC and my round is missing the cap, thus the box looks too long. Anyone have a cap? Shorter round is APC and it's box is shorter. Details on box lable marking would be appreciated. Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 20-01-16 00:25

I know everyone here likes pics...

4 Attachment(s)
Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 27-01-16 10:38

Jupiter foot pump?

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone here know the model of Jupiter pump/tyre/foot large listed in the accessories to the 17/25 pdr. gun? Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 03-02-16 00:37

Sometimes you just have to fake it!

4 Attachment(s)
Woiuld love to find an original breech ring for the 17 pdr. but at some point you just come up with some semi accurate plans and go for it. See pics of crude plywood replication that I am working on. Cheers Rob

David Dunlop 03-02-16 03:32

Mr. Fast.

When Shilo demils a weapon prior to disposal, any idea what they do with the parts removed/cut up? Buried on site somewhere? Sold for scrap locally? Could the latter be a dealer in Brandon? Any chance a few rusty bits might still be around?

Just a thought because of all the artillery pieces and armour that passed through MacDonald right after the war on it's way to Selkirk for scrapping, bits and pieces could still be found on the mill properties in the late 1970's. Couldn't hurt to look, if you knew where to.

David

rob love 03-02-16 04:49

David: You do know that the late 70s were only 20 odd years after McDonald closed down, but forty years back from now.

There will be nothing in the brandon scrapyard from Shilo. There was an oldtime scrapyard just off the first street bridge where the RCMP re-enactors picked up a tank barrel (possibly Sherman) back in the 80s to make their black powder cannon. But that yard is long gone, now converted into a park because the gorund is so contaminated the city could not build on it. The only scrapyard left does not hold onto metal, but processes it quickly and sends it on.

Things like breeches go to the smelter in Edmonton or Montreal. They do not get disposed of locally.

Niels V 03-02-16 08:29

Do you need any measurement of the breech ring

Rob Fast 04-02-16 01:10

Thanks for the offer Neils...

I think I have all I need here for a rough replicaton. Took a lot of measurements from the RCA Shilo 17 pdr. and have got some help from the 30th Field Museum. Looking for pics of breech cover? Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 17-02-16 06:36

Interesting pic of 17 pdr.

4 Attachment(s)
taken from the Canada at War and British Pathe series. See bolt on camoflage horizontal line shield addition on top right of shield and also a pile of 17 pdr. shells, tough to come by. Also the hard to find ammo box metal C288MK1 and C317 MK1. Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 21-02-16 20:39

Breech construction update...

5 Attachment(s)
Just a couple of pics.Looking for breech bits that would have been attached onto breech ring/block. Cheers Rob....

Rob Fast 02-04-16 23:17

Just a couple of pics.

5 Attachment(s)
Finally taught myself how to coil drag ropes for a nice compact look on the front shield. Bell tent work/tools and stuff. Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 19-06-16 17:43

Breech construction update...

4 Attachment(s)
Tony finished welding up a resonable copy of the return spring today. Happy farthers day everyone. Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 23-01-17 17:49

17 Pdr. brass/projectiles

1 Attachment(s)
I was fortunate enough top find another brass shell for my 17 pdr. this last week, and the price was right at $60.00 plus shipping. Keep me in mind when visiting the flea markets, always looking for anything 17 pounder related. Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 23-01-17 22:05

17 pdr. primer

2 Attachment(s)
This recent shell find also had the primer in it. Took it out just to have a look. Big! Cheers Rob

Tim Bell 25-01-17 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Fast (Post 219251)
Got out the carpentry tools this weekend and built a couple of replicas of never seen, tough to find 17 pdr. ammo boxes,C-310 and C-274. I think I'm close, still a lot of detailing to do. Always looking for 17 PDR. shells and projectiles. Also see muzzle brake installed. Box seen is APCBC and my round is missing the cap, thus the box looks too long. Anyone have a cap? Shorter round is APC and it's box is shorter. Details on box lable marking would be appreciated. Cheers Rob

Just picked up a few real ones of these never seen boxes... will post some pictures when I get them home next week. One has a complete set of labels...both have good original stencilling on the outside.

Tim

Rob Fast 25-01-17 23:47

Looking forward to seeing these pics....

and labels. Cheers Rob

Tim Bell 26-01-17 00:11

Rob

For your c310, where did you get the internal arrangement from - what did you copy for this? Do your lids have corresponding sections attached to them?

My C310s are devoid of internal fittings... the others on the other hand have far more complex internal fittings that you have imagined in your repros.

Cheers

Tim

Rob Fast 26-01-17 12:17

17 pdr. box repos

A chap down in Ottawa gave me the basic outer measurements, but indeed missed a lot of the internal drawings. I built my lids with no internal dividers attached to them, I put them in the box so I could display the rounds. Looking forward to any details with pics that you can provide here. Cheers Rob

Perry Kitson 26-01-17 16:37

1 Attachment(s)
Rob,

Your friends did a nice job on the muzzle brake. Reminds me of machining the muzzle brake for my Sexton. I started out with a 140 lb. piece of steel, and ended up with a 45 lb. replica.

Tim Bell 26-01-17 22:28

4 Attachment(s)
HE box... 1943 dated... Think is missing one end packing piece which i assume was block with holes to protect primers.

The lid has blocks to hold the cases.

Note... Base of box is ply laminate.

Tim

tankbarrell 26-01-17 22:34

Nice box Tim, lucky find!

rnixartillery 26-01-17 22:42

Tim,

judging by the diameter of the hole through the end block would you say it should have wire handles bound with leather or spliced rope.
I have boxes here with both types.
If they are rope I am happy to fit new ones if you are up this way,rope splicing is one of my seldom used talents !

Rob....................rnixartillery.

rnixartillery 26-01-17 22:46

wire rope .

Rob .....................rnixartillery.

Tim Bell 26-01-17 23:13

Rob

What should the primer end block be like please? Do you have one of these?

What's your wire rope skills like?

Just need a 2nd HE shell now.

Cheers
Tim

Rob Fast 26-01-17 23:24

Great pics Tim...

and a very nice find indeed.