MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Gun Park (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FAT Fast 17 pounder recovery (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17435)

Rob Fast 22-12-14 21:19

17 pdr. update...

5 Attachment(s)
Although I couldn't take advantage of Rob Nixon's sale on those beautiful limbers due to lack of funds, I did manage to satisfy myself with a couple of pieces of field kit. See pics of anchor pegs/seat bracket for duplication/ and the box/tools for the No. 9 dial sight. Quite complete but missing tools No.8/10/11/12 to complete the set. Cheers for now Rob Fast

rnixartillery 22-12-14 23:16

More good stuff Rob, I see you found the short chain from the Pull back apparatus completing the set .
I've got a dial sight tool kit in the shed so I will have a look tomorrow and compare the two.

Rob..................rnixartillery.

rob love 22-12-14 23:40

The short chain pictured is actually the chain from a universal carrier (and possibly the CMP truck) tow cable. They may well be the same, or just about the same, as used on the pullbacks.

rnixartillery 23-12-14 10:43

It is a standard produced chain with many functions and still used in the British army today for recovery purposes.

Rob................rnixartillery.

rnixartillery 23-12-14 17:21

Rob, taken a couple of pics of my Dial sight tool kit and it seems I have some bits missing too !

Rob..............rnixartillery.

Rob Fast 22-01-15 00:23

17 pounder recuperator tray...

2 Attachment(s)
Just a quick look at the tray that I need for my 17 pdr. restoration. See recuperator tray and barrel clamps. I am about to jury rig the clamp application just to get the barrel on the carriage for this summers coming out party of the gun. Putting pics up here courtesy of Rob Nixons restoration on HMVF, see thread "Riddle". Thanks Rob Fast

rnixartillery 21-02-15 19:00

Spring clean

Rob,

With the weather picking up over here and the evenings starting to draw out I have been doing some spring cleaning and managed (after two days of moving stuff ) to get the 17 pdr out, this being a good time and rare opportunity to get some up to date pictures.

Rob...............rnixartillery

Niels V 21-02-15 20:23

Impressive sight and fanstastic restoration work

rnixartillery 21-02-15 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niels V (Post 206301)
Impressive sight and fanstastic restoration work

This was outside an hour earlier, if anyone had come past the yard and seen this lot.................. :giveup

Rob...............rnixartillery.

Niels V 21-02-15 21:17

I spy Limber trailer and 17/25pdr :)

David Dunlop 21-02-15 23:14

Looked like a nice night for a star shell, Rob.;)

David

Rob Fast 22-02-15 01:00

Great pics Rob Nixon...

1 Attachment(s)
and I love your super clean shop! Spotted artillery tools on the table and I love to see pics with the ordnance/box's/kit along side the gun. Beautiful! I will have you know, not that I'm counting, but your latest pics/views put this thread over the 15,000 seen mark. A lot of interest in the history of the 17 pdr... Dave, all I can offer on a - 30c cold winter night is a red/green/yellow flare pistol show and a glass of the red nectar. Come on down. Cheers Rob

David Dunlop 22-02-15 02:09

1 Attachment(s)
Tempting Mr. Fast! Antifreeze is a prized commodity these days and a good flare shot might just help me spot those elusive 17-pdr photos for you once and for all.

By the away. I see your Winston and raise you a George!

David

Rob Fast 26-02-15 00:51

Late winter gift to my brother Tony...

5 Attachment(s)
Package arrived courtesy Rob Nixon. Thanks for the help. CMP mirrors/artillery spanners/spare parts tool roll/drift/manuals reprints. Lets fill these tool/spare parts rolls for the big 17! Cheers for now Rob Fast

Rob Fast 12-03-15 17:39

A little update on the 17 pdr.

4 Attachment(s)
Just positioned the barrel into the gun in Harold Kihn's shop, about to start the manufacture of the barrel clamps. Starting to look like a gun! Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 13-04-15 12:16

17 pdr.muzzle/breech cover?

Anyone here have a pic on the canvas covers associated with the gun? Cheers Rob

rnixartillery 13-04-15 13:26

covers

The correct muzzle cover is 'cover muzzle No 49' this is the same as used on the 6 pounder as well. The No 39 muzzle cover is exactly the same size and construction although it is designated a cover for the 5.5 medium gun so has a different part number.
I have never seen a sight cover before apart from in pictures.

Rob..........rnixartillery.

Rob Fast 14-04-15 01:43

Thanks for this Rob Nixon...

now I know what to look for. How were breech's protected from the elements? Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 21-04-15 01:38

Gun markings on this 17 pic?

1 Attachment(s)
can anyone help with the very faint markings on this gun? How were guns marked, and where were the markings located ? Just gave my 17 the last coat of deep bronze green, I think I nailed the colour. Just got my camera back from repair, I know pics are always nice, they are on the way. Breech canvas cover pic? Cheers Rob Fast

Rob Fast 27-04-15 00:25

A little fun today...

5 Attachment(s)
putting the kit back onto the gun after its last coat of paint. A couple of pics. Cheers Rob

David Dunlop 27-04-15 03:11

Looking good, Rob!

David

rnixartillery 27-04-15 09:41

Yes I agree, well worth the effort. I'm sure a brake will turn up soon.

Rob Fast 02-05-15 01:34

FAT and 17 PDR. reunited for the first time...

5 Attachment(s)
My brother Tony and myself hoisted a pale ale on this mating of long lost mate's. A beautiful pair. I love the colour offset in full sunlight of the artillery deep bronze green and the FAT colour . Enjoy. Cheers Rob

Peter Duggan 02-05-15 03:29

Inspirational

Rob,

You and Tony deserve far more than "one pale ale". You have created a truly spectacular tribute.

Peter

Rob Fast 18-05-15 01:41

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

1 Attachment(s)
I'm exhausted. I changed over 8 CMP 20 inch rims/tires today. I forgot how big and heavy those original 10-50 -20's were. I took the Michelins off of the FAT and made a trade with my LAAT original 10-50-20's. Cheers Rob

Rob Fast 05-08-15 21:07

Good grief...

I didn't win this Ebay 17 pdr. shell casing.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271943629263?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rob Fast 15-08-15 10:08

17 PDR. BLANK C-219 box

Posted here, for the info and pics. Rob or Tobin might be interested. Seller in London. Cheers Rob
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-Briti...item3aafc3cd1e

rnixartillery 15-08-15 14:21

Yes I've seen these, pick up only from the centre of London (Mayfair) Not worth the grief ! although I have a few here already.

Tim Bell 20-08-15 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Fast (Post 212915)
Posted here, for the info and pics. Rob or Tobin might be interested. Seller in London. Cheers Rob
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-Briti...item3aafc3cd1e

Mmm... could do with one of those... have only got 1 x 17pr blank case to date. Should have realised there was an ammo tin for them.

Does anyone have any pics of one complete with contents?

Are the all normally painted red?

I have a long long way to go before my Firefly is on the road... but there's no harm picking up a few bits along the way.

At worst it's somewhere else for the beer and sandwiches.

If anyone notices another for sale anytime, please let me know... though ideally in the UK as don't need one that desperately!

Cheers

Tim

Frantisek Nachlinger 20-08-15 14:03

Rob, you are a hero, I really like your collection. Great set! Thank you for showing it us here.
Frankie